We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

backyard arrogance

Pennellville, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
backyard arrogance

I'll be in kw,staying at the Southermost in 2 weeks(YEAH!). The hotel is near Louie's Backyard. The recent, and not so recent, reviews suggest an arrogant waitstaff,but excellent food. True or not? I really dislike arrogance. Should I avoid this place or should I go and totally screw with them if they get uppity? [maybe this is a better question for a "person of the cloth". any ministers or rabbi's out there?]

minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: backyard arrogance

Arrogance or not, their deck is wonderful. Maybe go for lunch, or at least a drink.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,798 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: backyard arrogance

It is something you will have to find out for yourself. I doubt that anything bad is a 24/7 occurance anywhere in Key West. Try a drink to see what you think. The reviews of the new tapas bar has made me want to go back there.

Pjk

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: backyard arrogance

It wouldnt be the first time they were called arrogant and I am sure it wont be the last. I agree that you should go for lunch or just a drink on the deck.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,179 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: backyard arrogance

If you go for a meal, call ahead for a reservation. Even if the place is half empty, that seems to cut some of the attitude.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: backyard arrogance

sorry sharla - it didn't cut the arrogance for us.

We tried talking to the owner, who was with a friend of ours, and got even more attitude... (just a hello, we weren't complaining.)

Yes, it's a great deck - but I'll spend my $ where it's appreciated.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: backyard arrogance

We've been going to lunch there for years with only one bad experience, and it was with a seating host. With the restaurant virtually empty, he tried to seat us at a tiny table on a side porch just above the garbage.

We just flat refused and told him where we'd like to sit, and he huffily seated us there. We've never had another problem, and the waitstaff is always very pleasant.

We do call for reservations, though.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,936 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: backyard arrogance

Like these answers indicate, I have had mixed experiences there. I would go for lunch or a drink on the afterdeck. I tried the new upstairs bar the other night, and think the food was excellent and a good value. We shared the duck pizza and an octopus salad. Both were excellent. The pizza was one of the best I have ever had.

It is one of the only ocean front dining places in KW and I would be sure you visit for a drink, lunch, or a light meal at the wine bar upstairs.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: backyard arrogance

Last time I was there (Christmas week) we had a wonderful dinner. Great food and great service.

If you do go there make sure you make a resorvation a few days in advance or you may have to wait a long time.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,798 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: backyard arrogance

And IMO if you go expecting to have a bad time, you probably will.

Pjk

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
792 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: backyard arrogance

While I have certainly heard of folks who've had a bad experience there, our last visit was near perfect. We had a server (think his name was Tommy) who was outstanding and even went so far as to assist my husband, who had a broken arm, with cutting his steak. Sounds like it can be hit or miss here, we've been lucky to have hits.