We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving advice

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new orleans
1 post
Save Topic
Moving advice

Hello, My boyfriend and I are looking into relocating to Key West from New Orleans. We'd both be looking for bartending jobs, and reasonable accomodations.

-Can you comment on the availability of jobs in the nightlife industry?

-Also, what is a good way to go about searching for an apartment (we're aiming for 800 or less) online? Or is it better do so in person? Is it possible to find afforable housing?

Thank you for your help,

Jen

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving advice

You can always find bartending jobs if you have experience. It is really hard to find apartments online - best is to physically look or word of mouth. It will be very hard to impossible, in my opinion, to find anything in the $800 price range. There is virtually no "affordable housing" in Key West. It would also depend on if you are planning on living in Old Town or New Town - somewhat less expensive in New Town. I would say most 1-bedroom units in Old Town would probably start around the $1100 mark. Does that sound right to you other people on this forum? I would also recommend expanding your criteria - instead of an apartment, you could rent a portion of a house. This is done a lot in Key West - houses are broken up into rental rooms/spaces. My boyfriend lives in a house and rents his room for $700. The common space (living room, bathrooms, kitchen, deck, etc) are shared by all that live there. Another option is renting a mobile home. I would also recommend not living in Key West proper - like living up on Stock Island or farther up in the Keys. The prices drop dramatically when you get out of Key West.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving advice

that last post pretty much sums it up. If $800. is your limit, & you don't want to rent a room, forget KW. Even $1100. will not get you much of an apartment. But bartending jobs are easy to find & the tips are pretty good, so you might just be able to make ends meet.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving advice

I've heard for the past few years that it takes $1400 a month to rent a decent one bedroom in Old Town.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving advice

As far as affordability goes, you can get a 1 bedroom up in my neck of the woods -- about a half-hour drive -- for about that much. Any closer to KW and you'll pay a couple of hundred more, usually for a trailer. (Really the last place you want to be right now.) In KW proper, you're looking at $1,000 or more. If you'd like, I can talk to my property manager to see if they'd be willing to cut you a deal, given the circumstances. They have rental properties all over the Lower Keys.

You might also want to post a note at bigpinekey.com -- a local gossip site -- to see if anyone has space they're willing to share. The cost of living here is very high under the best of financial circumstances, so I'd recommend taking any help you can get.

There are tons of jobs here, but most straight bartending gigs aren't advertised in the classifieds, and turnover isn't that high behind the high-dollar bars. However, you'll find lots of resort and restaurant openings in the classifieds at keysnews.com and keynoter.com. I would suggest taking any job you can find and then looking for something else once you've been here awhile.

Send me an e-mail at keyzeedaze@gmail.com if there's anything I can do to help.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving advice

You may want to check out this story:

http://keysnews.com/289908622346739.bsp.htm

youngstown,oh
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving advice

www.rent.com - has all apt's listed maybe you can find something on there?

Key west, FL
Level Contributor
458 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving advice

Plenty of Jobs in Key west starting in a couple of months (everyone starts to hire up in Nov and December ready for season.) You can make very good money in the bar restaurnat industry if you are willing to work. The houseing situation is the problem. Look into house/condo sharing. Check out the newspaper online Key West Citizen, they list their ads online. Just remember with first last and security it takes quiet a bit of cash to move into something. Maybe coming form New Orleans someone will give you a break.

Expect to pay $800.00 or up for a decent shared accommodation. In old town $1600.00 and up for your own apartment.