We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dry Tortugas for beach relaxation?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,537 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Dry Tortugas for beach relaxation?

I've read that the beaches at Dry Tortugas are very nice and worth a trip just to relax on the beach. Is that true? I'm sure the fort is neat, but the thought of spending 4 - 5 hours at a beach appeals to us, especially if there is a bar there to get a beer. Or is it truly "dry"?

Had wanted to take the seaplane and a lunch for the beach but I see that is not currently available.

Excellent recommendations on this forum, tank you all!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dry Tortugas for beach relaxation?

The beach is indeed very nice, if smallish. And yes, you can just relax on the beach, snorkel, swim and explore the fort. Alcohol not available and prohibited in Dry Tortugas National Park. If you take the Yankee Freedom, there is a cash bar on the trip back to Key West.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dry Tortugas for beach relaxation?

Dry refers to no water, but no alcohol either.

Limey

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dry Tortugas for beach relaxation?

I went to the Dry Tortugas years ago and it was absolutely beautiful! If you have the time to go.. you should do it.. the beach is great.. small but gorgeous.. clear.. blue.. sandy.. awesome..

Great snorkeling too..

Have a great time!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,796 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dry Tortugas for beach relaxation?

I don't know if this will work, but the beach on the lower right is partiularly nice for sittin on and swimming from.

…tripadvisor.com/media/…fort-jefferson.jpg

Pjk

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dry Tortugas for beach relaxation?

I'll agree that the beaches at Dry Tortugas are nice but it seems like a long and somewhat expensive trip to sit on a "dry" beach. Why not take a road trip up to Bahia Honda State Park and enjoy the beach there? That beach is also "dry" as they don't allow alcoholic beverages in the park except in your campground area. There are places not far away to get a drink though if you wish. Just a little farther up the road from Bahia Honda is Sombrero Beach. Again, no alcoholic beverages on the beach but not far to go to get one.

6. Re: Dry Tortugas for beach relaxation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 06:21