We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight question

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky
Level Contributor
490 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flight question

Ok, this is probably a silly question (read: I have only booked a few flights in my lifetime), but here it goes...

I just found an awesome deal on a flight to KW in June (the difference between $498 per person that I usually find for my dates, and $298 today) The problem is that we are not 100% on being able to go on those dates....yet; darn work!!! Can I book it and take my chances? Meaning use the tickets for another date if things don't work out (for a fee....less than the $200 I'm "saving" per person)? I've read the terms of the "flight protection plan" but I'm still lost. Any thoughts? I'm considering booking this through Travelocity if that helps.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight question

I think Travelocity charges you $75 per ticket for date changes. I know they charge that rate for a name change. When it comes to those sites, I would definately nail the dates before purchasing.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,405 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight question

The only one I'm familiar with is Continental and their basic trip inseuance is basically weather or illness. Otherwise...

"Trip Protector does not offer coverage for cancellation due to a personal change of plans or pre-existing conditions. Product may not be available in all jurisdictions."

Have you checked the same flight and deal through the airline's web page?

hth

Pjk

Kentucky
Level Contributor
490 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight question

Thank you for your responses! I actually checked the United site, and was shocked to find the same flight at $910.00 per person. No clue what that is about. Delta is about $100 different than Travelocity & others at any given time, so I always have that.

Just trying to save a few more $ for cocktails if possible. ;-)

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
315 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight question

Just in case it helps you .... we booked right through Delta and found it to be the cheapest IF we leave from an airport an hour away rather than the one here in our city .... have you serached including "nearby" airports?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight question

Are you definitely flying directly in nomatter what? It's a tough one with not knowing if you can make it. The cost of the insurance through the site can almost negate the savings...

I guess it would rely on how confident you can be that you can get those dates from work. If you're fairly certain, maybe chance it (or keep it to yourself and hope you "come down with something" on that date).

If it's too risky, maybe look into Fort Lauderdale and a car. Nice drive and usually much cheaper then directly into KW.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight question

yes, when booking a flight to KW you can go through MIA, FLL or ATL.

And the fares can really drop, but I've always thought they were not changeable. At least not without a big fee. So I usually get the travel insurance, and always get it for late summer, early fall travel to hurricane-prone areas.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight question

Deeply discounted tickets are nonrefundable, but airlines allow you to make changes for $100~$150 PLUS any additional airfare, if the rate changes.

Hotwire and Priceline tickets are nonrefundable, no changes permitted, and are not good on another airline if your airline cancels the flight.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight question

Add my vote to flying into Lauderdale and renting a vehicle for that one of a kind drive to the keys. They say it takes 3 hours, but have you ever talked to anybody that has driven straight through...didn't think so.....Alabama Jacks on Card Sound Road gets our vote going down and back.

9. Re: Flight question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2009, 07:21