We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How did you learn about Key West?

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
How did you learn about Key West?

I used to have three or four prime destinations for travel. I guess I am glad I experienced those places, but then I moved to rural Mo. and many folks here pick KW for their get away. It intrigued me. Jamaica and St. Lucia had been my warm spot get aways, but why not try something state side? I did and now I regret it because now I regret not going there sooner.

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
347 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How did you learn about Key West?

This will be our first trip to KW..... it is just somewhere my husband has always wanted to see .... so we chose it for our honeymoon ...because I really wanted to see New Orleans and stay on a RIverboat for a few days on the way there .... but Hubby wasn't keen on New Orleans at this time so we are going where he has always wanted to go .... that's when I found TA , when I started "researching Key West .... now I can't freakin wait to get there and it's somewhere we BOTH really want to go ;)

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How did you learn about Key West?

Haha.. many people come and fall in love with the place. It truly is a special place.

The reason that Key West may get many people in Midwest states is they spend a lot of advertising revenue there. Plus, it's an island and completely different from what many folks in these areas can do.

I live in Cleveland.. we have islands here and I meet people constantly from Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Pennsylvania when i'm down.

Once people discover Key West, I think it's shocking as to how many become repeat visitors. I've met very few who say did it, don't need to again for a long time.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How did you learn about Key West?

My father would go fishing in the Keys when he was a kid growing up in Sarasota, so we always knew about it. When we were kids, the family took vacations to KW every chance we got. It basically became a 2nd home. We also grew up in the mid west (St. Louis) and I was always jealous of all my friends that always went to Disney, lol. Now, I wouldnt step foot in that place.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
792 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How did you learn about Key West?

I was lucky enough to have an uncle who owned several shoe stores in FL, including one in KW. After my Dad semi-retired, my uncle asked him if he'd like to run his store in Key West, since he had just fired his manager for stealing. My parents agreed and moved down there around '98 or '99. My uncle closed his stores a couple years later for a career change, and my parents moved back to New England. Within 6 months they regretted leaving so much they starting planning to move back, this time hopefully for good. They did that around 2002 and have been there ever since. A couple of years ago they were considering if they should leave again, for a variety of reasons, when they stumbled into a working arrangement that allowed them to earn a decent salary and have free housing, which has been great. That gig is coming to an end, but they have no plans to leave when it does. My sister is currently looking into buying a place down there, and my hope is to eventually be able to move down there too. In the meantime, we visit at least once a year and love it!!

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How did you learn about Key West?

About 25 years ago, I was reading a magazine that featured gay friendly destinations. At that time, there were not very many to choose from. I remember being facinated by the pictures of Lush Tropical gardens and people riding bikes through town. I had a business trip to Orlando and took a few extra days and drove to Key West. I stayed at The Duval House in a second floor room in the gardens and was blown away by how lush and beautiful everything was. I then stopped in a couple bars and everyone was so friendly, I felt like I had been coming here for years. I fell in love with the island that trip and went back again and again, until finally moving here about 18 years ago. While much has changes since then, it is still the lush, friendly, laid back place I fell in love with all those years ago...

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How did you learn about Key West?

To answer more directly=)...

I can't even remember my first trip... I think I was around 12 and my parents and I had come for a day trip. I remember I liked the place alot.

Next time was a couple of years later... My best friends parents had/have a timeshare at the Galleon. We all came down and had a great time exploring the island. It became almost a yearly thing.

As the years went by I got older and could experience more and more.... have stayed at multiple places and almost bought a business last year. Still hope to do so in the future and plan on living there one way or another before my time is up.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How did you learn about Key West?

lol jay, I remember as a kid begging, literally begging my parents to get me a sitter and leave me at home. I hated the place after a while. Turns out that out of the 4 of us kids, I was the one that moved to Key West first chance I got, lol.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How did you learn about Key West?

jay, i lived in Akron for 20 years. we probably ran into each other at some bar in Put in Bay or maybe over at Lonz. (used to go two or three times a summer - thought about moving THERE) Key West was just never talked up that much that I can remember. I don't even recall pat daily giving it some love. just ran with the wrong crowd i guess.

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How did you learn about Key West?

I learn about KW in the early 80's after seeing a Florida sight seeing book. Then of course hearing JB's songs referring to it. However I never made it there until 2001. The wife at the time always had an excuse as to why we couldn't go.

Go figure, meet Pam, she'd been before and was all for it for out first trip together as boyfriend/girlfriend. Then after a couple of trips, got married in KW in May of 2003. Been every year since 01 and don't plan on ever stopping..... that is until we move there.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How did you learn about Key West?

In 1992 I saw something on TV about the 3 best places to go for New Year's Eve: New York City, Las Vegas and Key West. Well, I'd been to Vegas, and really have no desire to go to NY, so I came to KW for the holiday. I didn't even know where it was or heard about it before. And, I'd heard the song Cheeseburger in Paradise, and someone said it was JB and he was talking about KW. So, I packed and went. Figure if someone sings song about some place, it must be great. He was right.