We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Character Stories

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Character Stories

Was just thinking of my wife and I's honeymoon in Key West and thought this would make for a interesting topic....

Who are some of the best characters you've had the chance to meet while in Key West? Aside from the crazies who routinely post on here I mean=)

I reference my honeymoon as it was the day we met.. wait for it... "The Captain" (yeah i know bet i'm the only one who's met a Captain or Cappy). Regardless, we met him at Hogs Breath Raw Bar (big shock to anyone who knows me). We just started talking and he had all sorts of amazing stories. He was actually only in town for a couple days and wasn't a resident and was "shipping out soon". At the end of the meal he offered to take us to A and B to buy us a honeymoon meal. It wasn't creepy and was just a genuine sentiment. Always stuck out in my mind and is a guy I wonder where he is now.

So how bout you folks?

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
313 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Character Stories

Sorry for interrupting .... what is A and B ... It's been mentioned a few times and I can't find reviews on it ....thanks and sorry

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Character Stories

http://www.aandblobsterhouse.com/

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
313 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Character Stories

Thanks so much!!! .... and so sorry for hi-jacking this thread :/

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Character Stories

No worries.. we sometimes speak in abreviations and don't realize others may get lost=)

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
790 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Character Stories

My two favorites were both Captain's, and sadly, are both gone now. Capt Tony, of course, who signed our shirts and was always fun to see, and Capt Outrageous, who was an amazingly talented artist and good friend to my father.

My favorite encounters usually involve the person on the next bar stool over - one time my husband and I bought drinks for a bunch of really young sailors on shore leave. We gave marriage advice to a pair of newlyweds who got married the same day we were celebrating our anniversary. We met a couple at Hog's Breath who were looking for some live music, and told them to go to the Parrot that night for Raven and Bubba. We saw them there later and they loved the music. Those are my favorite KW characters - people who drift into your life for a few hours, and then back out, but still leave an impression.

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Character Stories

Spend the afternoon at Capt. Tonys listening to a buddy singing. Met this diver and ex-seal who had dumped his girlfriend about 6 years before in Key West. Got pretty wasted, I left and ran back into him a few hours later at Schooner Wharf and he was feeling no pain. I think he had gotten in touch with his old girlfriend and she wasn't happy that he did. He then decided me and him could whip anybody and everybody in Key West! He went to bathroom and I left! Didn't want to visit the Key West jail or hospital!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Character Stories

Suekel... Remind me to have the wife tell you about when her and my mom and sister were on the town a couple years ago.... Ran into, I kid you not, a group of Australian Navy guys... We have a whole set of pics from their time at the bar-)

Jim... I can believe you and that guy could have taken out the whole island-)

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
790 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Character Stories

Sounds like a great story Jay - I may be old(er) and married, but a few hours with a group of young Australian sailors sounds like a lot of fun to me!! LOL.

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Character Stories

INGA. Now there's a character!

For the unitiated ...Inga is the headliner at Aqua drag show.

tampa
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Character Stories

I was at the Bull mid afternoon waiting on a buddy of mine to sneak off after his girlfriend passed out from to many bloody marry at the Green Parrot during the day.

Got talking to theses guys next to me who had a big pit bull with them. The funny part about the dog was that the "leash" the guy had the dog on was just a piece of thick wire that looked like is belonged holding up a telephone pole. The dog had no collar just the wire in a loop. So the dog guys friend tells me he just got out of prison for selling drugs and this was the first beer he had since being in jail for 5 years.

They sat at the bar yelling at any woman who walked by outside to come in and see their "cute" dog.

Needless to say they did not get anyone who wanted to do such a thing.