We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report May 18- 23

Florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
trip report May 18- 23

Arrived home today to a broken a/c unit, and I'm wishing we were still in the keys.

Ok so we stayed at the KWHI, it was our first time and we loved it. We stayed in the Tobago room. Couldn't ask for a better location. (I will write a review later)

For food we tried out -

Conch republic - the conch fritters were gross, but the stuffed mushrooms were great

Pepe - loved the good comfort food. One of the best meals we had. I had the grilled cheese, and the grouper tomato bisque, both very good.

El Siboney - cheap excellent cuban food. Definitely recommend the roast pork, yellow rice and platanos. The hubby said he had better picadillo elsewhere, but the platanos and the cuban bread was excellent.

Blue Heaven - For breakfast yum yum. But beware, the lobster benedict while excellent is not cheap, and if the server asks would you like bacon and sausage, check to see if bacon or sausage is included in the price and not an extra cost.

Roof top cafe - some of the food was excellent, such as the crab cake, but I was very disappointed in the service. We were the youngest people in the restaurant by about 15 years and the manager (at least I think it was the manager) walked around each table and asked how the food was and then asked them to write a review on tripadvisor, but he avoided our table. It was as if we were too young and not worth his time. Little did he know that I love tripadvisor.

Things we did

- snorkeling with Sunny days on the caribbean spirit, great staff but the water was a little rough and people got sick snorkeling and on the boat.

- wind and wine with danger charters - EXCELLENT, it did rain and there was no sunset, but we saw double rainbows and dolphins swam right next to our boat. Wine kept flowing and the cheese kept appearing

- rented bikes

- hit all the tourist bars, ate too much key lime pie, and just relaxed.

Mentioned in this post
Pepe's Cafe
Pepe's Cafe
2,573 Reviews
Key West, FL
El Siboney Restaurant
El Siboney Restaurant
3,979 Reviews
Key West, FL
Blue Heaven
Blue Heaven
12,227 Reviews
Key West, FL
Bien
£, Latin, Fusion, Caribbean
La Grignote
££ - £££, French, Cafe
Keys Coffee Co.
£, American, Cafe, Healthy
columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report May 18- 23

We were at the KWHI May 5-12th for the first time also and loved it, too, especially the location. Sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

Philly
Level Contributor
457 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report May 18- 23

you report made me homesick for my home away from home!

Just curious...how old are you guys? We like to hang out with all ages, and in KW we noticed a dearth of people in their 20's...except for Island Dogs, which was mostly people in their 20's.

Sorry about your treatment at Rooftop...we HATE when owners or managers cater to certain people and ignore others. That is so stupid and shallow.

Glad you had fun in KW.

Florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report May 18- 23

We're in our mid to late twenties. We obviously don't look too young because we weren't carded all week. This was our one complaint about key west - that all week we felt an anti-young people vibe. I'm sure the crazy college age spring breakers give us young folk a bad rep, but not all young people are CRAZY!!! lol

Other than that, I remembered some other things we loved

When we rented bikes we rode down to the southernmost point. It is much more chill down this end of duval with lots of restaurants and art galleries, more my scene. I will probably stay down this end on my next trip, although I did love the KWHI.

While on our bikes we went to Grand Vin. By far the best wine selection we found, and we enjoyed a good glass on the veranda. The person serving (sorry didn't catch his name) let us taste a couple before we decided what glass to have.

Ok sure I'll remember more....good news the a/c is working

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report May 18- 23

Sorry if anyone was dismissive of you because of your age.

I don't think there is necessarily any anti-young person vibe in Key West, I think maybe it's that outside the touristy bars, they aren't used to seeing many....

The main reason that many young folks aren't down is normally price point. Expensive destination on many fronts... And also, there aren't many bars that one would say, is a true club type bar that twenty somethings like to hang out. Well other then Ricks. But compared to what they are used to, Ricks is something different.

Glad you had an overall good time though.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Danvers...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report May 18- 23

I LOVE trip reports! Every little bit of info helps me tweak my itinerary for when I'll be there in Nov. with my 21 and 24 y.o.. Thanx for sharing!

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report May 18- 23

I agree, pattybee... I usually find at least one thing to tweak my list of "stuff". Nice to hear about the Southernmost point. We'll be staying at the Southernmost Hotel for our first trip down. Can't believe 8 days from now, we'll be on our way!

Marybeth

Mentioned in this post
Southernmost Point
Southernmost Point
9,091 Reviews
Key West, FL
The Southernmost Inn
The Southernmost Inn
1,097 Reviews
Key West, FL
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report May 18- 23

Enjoyed your trip report.........now I just need to go back myself............

GardeniaPalm
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report May 18- 23

Nice report!

I'm not quite sure, but I think asking for reviews like that is against TA policy.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report May 18- 23

Thanks for your trip report. Sounds like a great vacation and I'm glad to hear your a/c is working again. :)

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report May 18- 23

Sounds like you had a nice time. Thanks for coming back and doing a trip report. Grand Vin is my favorite bar (I am a HUGE wino) and I am happy you had a chance to stop in.