We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our 1st trip to Key West give me your top 5 please!

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
158 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Our 1st trip to Key West give me your top 5 please!

This will be our first trip to Key West and will only be there 3 days so we want to make the most of it. We will be staying at the Southernmost Hotel. Mid June, 2009. So I would like your top 5 for the following:

Must see/do things during the day

Must see/do things during the night

Must see/do things on the water (please give tour company names if you can remember)

Good but economical places to eat for all 3 meals

Places to dance, we love to dance!!

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our 1st trip to Key West give me your top 5 please!

I would take the trolley tour first, Try to get on Tim or Louie's trolley. You can get on and off at 12 stops around the island. A ticket is good all day.

You should try a snorkle trip with either Danger, Fury or Sebago. Danger is a tall ship and takes less passengers. A sunset cruise with any of them is also great. Sometimes can be free with one of the snorkle cruises. (Fury and Sebago).

Lots of historic homes and museums if you like history, Hemmingways House, Little White House, the lighthouse.

Visit Fort Zach for the beach and fort.

Sunset at Mallory Square at least once.

Sunset from the top of La Concha on Duval.

If you are there on a Friday, Conch Tale Hour at the Conch Republic restaurant to meet all the local folks who post here. It starts around 6:00.

We don't dance much but I think you can dance where ever you hear music!

I think you will really like the Southernmost. Have fun!

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our 1st trip to Key West give me your top 5 please!

Forgot about restaurants. The Southernmost Beach Cafe is good and close by with a great view. We also like Camille's, The Banana Cafe, El Siboney, Square one.

Blue Heaven and Santiago's Bodego are a few more $$$.

Lobo's has good sandwiches and delivers. Salsa Loca for Mexican.

Too many to list and everyone has their favorites!

chicopee MA
Level Contributor
139 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our 1st trip to Key West give me your top 5 please!

Boy ecsmom it was like you were reading my mind. I would add Sarabeths for diner. And if you like fishing go on the flats for a half day. Even if your spouce doesn't like fishing it is so pretty my wife goes just for the ride. Schooner Warf for drinks and Hogfish for lunch. G

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our 1st trip to Key West give me your top 5 please!

uh, you are from independence, mo. has the truman white house crossed your mind? WELL IT SHOULD.

also, louie's afterdeck is a must. i still like the mojitos there the best. (not economical - but worth it). water front bar.

duval street is a good place to dance, as is the top of the La Concha - but be careful.

you will have a cute bar at the southernmost pool that has a lunch special each day - and it is inexpensive.

personally, i could spend most of my time on the south end of town. ask how to get to "Salute" and you will enjoy it for lunch as well.

and, of course there is the famous tourism company called "hedonism now." (oh, never mind, that is my company and i have yet to start it.)

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our 1st trip to Key West give me your top 5 please!

Have you gone through any of the Traveler Articles? They are full of very good and up to date info.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34345-s1/…Inside.html

Springfield IL
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our 1st trip to Key West give me your top 5 please!

I agree with all the advice above. The only thing I would add is to try not to "overplan" the whole trip. We've had some of our best experiences by accident when we're not even looking. Take some time to wander.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our 1st trip to Key West give me your top 5 please!

One thing to keep in mind, while we are all happy to give our opinions on what is great or "the best", just keep in mind that the experiences can be different for anyone.

Before I list my favs, my biggest piece of advice is to not plan. Get out one morning and just start walking. If you see something of interest, go in and try it! Get off Duval and find some of the hidden treasures... Buy some cabobs from people grilling their drive way=)

Here are my fav things though.

Morning... Just walk around the city. Have breakfast at Pepes and/or Blue Heaven during your step (the later are one of a few things I say are MUST dos no matter who you are).

Afternoon... I love sitting at Hogs Breath Raw Bar having beers and talking to the bartender and other visitors. It's just a special place. But again, this is where opinions come in... Some people don't see any magic in it where I see infinite=) Also, visit Peppers of Key West and try their sauce sampling bar!

Nightime.. A dinner at the Conch Republic Seafood Company and having some drinks at their bar. Another great place to meet new friends. Also, Grand Vin.. get a nice bottle of wine and sit on the porch watching the Duval Parade.

Dancing... Hogs Breath, Green Parrot, any of the gay bars... Too many to list really.

All in all, everyones trip is what they make of it! You WILL have a great time I have no doubt. But make sure you explore and find out what you like!

Richmond
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our 1st trip to Key West give me your top 5 please!

Check out the story on happy hours for some great deals on drinks and apps.

I really liked the tour of the Hemingway House. It was short, sweet and informative. A perfect historical thing to do that doesn't take up a ton of time.

Also really enjoyed a ghost tour. There are lots of great ghost tales in key west.

For a more affordable lunch, we enjoyed BO's Fish Wagon. Fun, relaxed atmosphere and yummy fish sandwiches, fries and beers.

Also, gotta get some Key Lime Pie. We really liked Kermit's.

For a sunset sail, we did the Sebago one, and had a great time. The staff is super nice and there's free beer, wine and champagne along with mixed drinks for a fee.

Boston...
Level Contributor
337 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our 1st trip to Key West give me your top 5 please!

I agree with the advice about not planning too much--and I love planning! Key West is just so relaxed that some of the best experiences come from just walking around and being in the moment. That being said, pick several must-do activities and plan them into your schedule each day, but leave some time open for just discovering what Key West has to offer.

I recommend Danger Charters for their snorkeling trip (I did the half day, but would like to go back and do the full day sometime).

Renting a bike is a fun and convenient way to get around town.

Go at least once for the spectacle at Mallory Square for sunset each night. It's the type of experience that is one of those things you "should" do when in Key West, but it gets a bit tired. My next trip, I plan to branch out and experience the sunset from various different locations people have mentioned on these boards.

My favorite bar is Schooner Wharf Bar. It's very Key West-- open air, laid back, friendly, interesting people. The food and drinks are good too.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,204 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our 1st trip to Key West give me your top 5 please!

I like these must-see / must do thingys.

Must see/do things during the day

-If it's convenient, walk along Smathers Beach one morning from Bertha Ave to just past the airport and watch the sunrise. Bicycle if necessary.

-Otherwise, walk along Mallory Square in the morning to see what it's like without the sunset crowd. A nice a.m. walk is all the way past the Westin Marina (where the Danger boats moor) then back along the Mallory docks and in front of the Ocean Key. Then to the end of Front Street and make a *left* to the Galleon and along here all the way to the Tiki Bar. Then over to the Bight.

Must see/do things during the night

-at least one drink on a roof; The Rooftop Cafe on Front Street, the rooftop bar at Turtle Kraals, or the roof of the Rum Barrel, also on Front.

Must see/do things on the water

-Either the Danger or Sebago all-day trip, but if not I've had great times on the Caribbean Spirit and Floridays for a single morning or afternoon trip. I prefer the afternoon.

Good but economical places to eat for all 3 meals

-Alonzo's for happy hour but you can make a nice dinner here just having the 1/2 priced apps.

-Ana's Cuban Cafe on Simonton and South Street.

-Lobos's Mixed Grill just off Duval where you can split a wrap.

-on Tuesdays, the shrimp steaming special at the sunset pier at the Ocean Key Resort, 7:00 - 9:00

-Tapas at, nope, at the Dock Cafe at the Galleon.

Places to dance, we love to dance

El Meson de Pepe just off Front Street. Most nights they have a Latin band which is great.

Pjk