We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 19 - 23 Short n Sweet

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
May 19 - 23 Short n Sweet

What a pleasure to say we’ve now been to Key West 4 times in the past 18 mos.

Our most recent trip to Key West was all too short but almost didn’t happen at all so it was to a treat to enjoy 2 nights there and another 2 nights in Marathon leading up to Memorial Day. We packed in as much as possible!

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 19 - 23 Short n Sweet

After heavy rain showers from FLL south we breathed a deep breath of fresh air when we crossed the Rt 1 bridge into Key Largo where the skies were clearing in time for what would become a magnificent sunset. We’d be staying on Marathon for two nights before driving into Key West.

Wahoo’s in Islamorada on the beautiful ocean front deck is a favorite stop for us and helps us acclimate to island time. We continued on to Key Colony Beach where we stayed overnight at a friend’s home. I was up early and enjoyed sunrise right there overlooking the bay and a walk around the neighborhood. Later my wife and I relaxed on the beach and swam in the ocean and deep pool at the Cabana club before a late lunch and then moving over to the Sombrero Beach area where we stayed Wed night.

Sombrero Reef Inn is located on a canal near the beach. There’s a dock and kayaks to use, no pool but comfortable seating in the shade of palm trees and overlooking the water. The room was comfortable and very clean. We kayaked out along the ocean shoreline looking at the reef off shore. It was surprising to see how shallow the water is for quite a distance off shore there. Dinner that night was at Sparky’s with our KCB friends. The special mutton snapper that night was outstanding as was my wife’s fish taco and our favorite app, the fish gratinee - mahi smothered in mozzarella and mushrooms with garlic bread – delicious and a meal by itself.

Thursday morning we took a swim at beautiful Sombrero beach. It’s such a hidden jewel I hesitate to do more than whisper the news that you are in for a real treat there. We headed back to KCB for a gathering at our friends’ home and started slicing key limes for mojitos. I made 4 large pitchers full and they seemed to disappear faster than I could make them. Naturally I did have to keep sampling along the way. Good thing I didn’t have to drive for a while! We all went down the street to Sparky’s for a wonderful lunch on the deck and feasted once more on the best and freshest fish you could ask for. Later it was time to drive that magnificent stretch of the 7 mile bridge and on into Key West. What a wonderfully scenic drive – I can’t imagine coming to the Keys without this roadtrip! We arrived in Key West and checked into what has become our K.W. home - Mango Tree Inn. Five minutes later I was swimming in the pool amidst hibiscus planters and hanging orchids, enjoying the lush plantings that Peggy tends to with love and skill. Wine, cheese and chat at a nearby home with many other friends who had all come into town and then a walk to Mallory Sq finished off the day. After a long and enjoyable day I was ready for that plush four poster bed and slept like a baby.

Friday morning I met a good friend for an early walk around the lushly planted residential neighborhoods. There are so many beautiful old-town cottages for sale now. Oh for an extra million or so! Croissants de France offered a wonderful breakfast treat assortment to go along with coffee and the eggs I cooked up in our kitchen so my wife and I enjoyed breakfast as we usually do on our poincianna ‘tree house’ balcony at the Inn. Later we rented bikes and toured around the island, stopping to check out the new Southernmost ocean front rooms – wow what a place to splurge for a special trip sometime! We rode out onto White St pier, up to the Bight and Mallory, checked out the Vandenburg and the ECO center then ended up at Fort Zach for a well deserved swim. Later that afternoon we lounged pool side with friends staying at the inn before heading over to the big CTH gathering at Conch Republic. What a great time! Many friends from T.A. and another board many of us frequent were there and we met so many that we had not yet gotten acquainted with including the dear wife of Key West Taxi as well as her lovely sister and KWT’s brother. Dinner followed at Salsa Loca, one of our K.W. must-do meals. We just love Nancy! We ended the evening at Cowboy Bill’s with Nancy and by the time we left I was just exhausted but felt soooo good!

Sat. morning there was time for another early walk, breakfast in the ‘tree house’ and swim before we checked out and made the beautiful drive back to the mainland. We managed to get to the rental return at FLL in plenty of time for our 5:00 flight back to Manchester N.H. Onboard I finished the entertaining novel I’d been reading during this trip, ‘Papa’s Problem’ by Patrick Kendrick set in 1939 K.W. with Ernest Hemmingway as one of the main characters and accused of a local murder. I highly recommend it especially as a fun K.W. read.

I’m not sure I ever managed to make it onto ‘Island time’ this trip but I don’t think I could have squeezed much more into those 4 days and I definitely maximized the K.W. ‘Spirit’!

Danvers...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: May 19 - 23 Short n Sweet

Ken, you DID squeeze alot into a 4-night getaway! I would've loved to have been able to go to that Homecoming CTH and meet more of these special people. Glad you and Judy had a good time.

Patty

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 19 - 23 Short n Sweet

Thanks Patty. CTH that night was like Homecoming on steroids! I think I managed to chat with nearly everyone there at least breifly but was so disappointed to miss FredandGinger who had just gotten married and slipped away from CTH before we made it to their table.

columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 19 - 23 Short n Sweet

What a wonderful trip report! It really sounded like a perfect respite and how I envy yoor being able to say my 4th trip in 18 months. Keep drinking those mojitos and make a pitcher for me someday.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 19 - 23 Short n Sweet

Great report! I almost felt like I was right there with you!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 19 - 23 Short n Sweet

What a nice time. You did quite a bit but it still sounded so relaxing and enjoyable. Thanks for posting.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May 19 - 23 Short n Sweet

Thanks for writing your report. You certainly did pack in a lot of fun! It's always a pleasure to see you and your wife, even for a short visit! Hope you'll be back soon!

Limey

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,501 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May 19 - 23 Short n Sweet

Sounds like a great trip and you sure did get a lot in for the short time you were there. I love Salsa Loca and was just reading about them moving over by Cowboy Bill's. They will be even closer to where we're staying in July so that makes me happy. :)

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May 19 - 23 Short n Sweet

We drove through the Keys during and after rain storms, I love it after it rains down there!

Sounds like a great time, thanks for sharing!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May 19 - 23 Short n Sweet

wow, i was afraid the report was going to be short and sweet, but thankfully you gave us all the details of a great trip. our first trip we did the Marathon then KW thing, but my wife now insist that all time be spent in KW. heh Bluewater, if it makes you feel better we both say that MArathon might be more suiteable to retire to. anyway, THANKS for the grerat trip report!