We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which of the keys for a home base

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
santa fe
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
which of the keys for a home base

Any feedback on where to stay for for quiet time of

swimming, snorkeling and kayaking.

Thank you!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which of the keys for a home base

Well things like that would be perfect for Key Largo.... But, if you want to hit up Key West, it's a bit further away.

Islamadora, Marathon are other options that might fit the bill.

santa fe
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which of the keys for a home base

We're not set on Key West. More interested in nature activities along with a quiet, romantic hotel or B and B. Thank s for the feedback/

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which of the keys for a home base

Key Largo, Marathon, and Key West all fit those criteria. Key West has more restaurants if that helps you decide. Marathon may be a bit quieter and perhaps has better swimming beach (Sombrero Beach).

santa fe
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which of the keys for a home base

Thanks again, I think the deciding factor would be that "special" place to stay. Any suggestions?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: which of the keys for a home base

What is "special" to you? A B & B, boutique hotel, full service hotel, motel? What is your budget? I would take a look at the reviews here on TA, they are very helpful, pick a few places and come back for feedback.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,554 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which of the keys for a home base

Only one real B & B outside of Key West - Deer Run in Big Pine.

In Islamorada - Casa Morada and The Moorings are nice and special type places. Indigo Reef in Marathon or Hawks Cay.

For really special - Little Palm Island.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
797 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which of the keys for a home base

One of our favorites is now called Atlantic Bay Resort (formerly known as Bay Breeze Motel). It is located at MM92.5 Baysidein Tavernier, FL. Their website is http://www.atlanticbayresort.com/

They have rooms, one bedroom efficiencies (we stayed in a one-bedroom with our two kids - that was really nice) and even suites. They have a snorkel "pit" just off the beach where we saw a lot of fish and even lobsters!!! The kids even saw seahorses and were thrilled.

GardeniaPalm
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which of the keys for a home base

Perhaps try Conch Key Cottages located at MM 62.

http://www.conchkeycottages.com/

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which of the keys for a home base

Marathon is a good base; but it is a small city/large town with a commercial area; although you can find some quieter areas in/around the area. Key Colony Beach right off of Marathon is a quieter, laid back community. If you really want quiet, there are a few B&B's, and ole time resorts in the Lower Keys; there would be fewer restaurant choices nearby but still some good ones. The Lower Keys would be convenient for snorkeling at Looe Key (snorkel boats leave from Big Pine) and some great kayaking, too. Try fla-keys.com for Lower Keys (Big Pine, Little Torch, Ramrod Key, etc.) accomodation listings and also check reviews here on TA.

Check out StrikeZone Charters (Big Pine Key) for snorkeling: strikezonecharter.com/StrikeZone_Charter_Loo…

and Big Pine Kayak : http://www.keyskayaktours.com/

for great kayaking.

The best swimming beaches in the Keys are at Bahia Honda State Park (between Marathon and Big Pine Key) and Sombrero Beach in Marathon.

Wish I could help more. I've written on many topics about Marathon and Big Pine/Lower Keys. You might find more info./advice under my name. Right now I've got to run! I'm leaving for a 2 week trip to China!

Best Wishes!

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which of the keys for a home base

In our 4 trips now in the past 2 years we have always chosen to stop along the way to explore the other keys before continuing into Key West. We really like the Marathon area. For swimming we loved Sombrero Beach on our most recent trip - it's off the beaten track and a beautiful park with free parking. From Marathon it's easy to drive 30 miles north to Islamorada, 15 miles south to Bahai Honda state park or 50 miles to Key West. We've stayed locally there at Continental Inn which is on Key Colony Beach and the Sombrero Reef Inn - both value oriented waterfront venues that offer suites - clean, comfortable and restful - perhaps not as upscale as you might be looking for this time but check them out.

If you consider Key Largo then take a look at the Marriott - it's beachside although the swimming beach there is very shallow but the beautiful ocean view from your balcony and the luxurious bedding will make you want to cancel your return flight!

Best wishes. Have a wonderful vacation.