We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip Report, May 25 and 26th (rest of week will follow)

Providence Forge...
Level Contributor
421 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
1st Trip Report, May 25 and 26th (rest of week will follow)

With all of the worries of rain, we were pleasantly surprised with none the entire week.

Monday, 5/25: Arrived in Fort Lauderdale at 11:00 am, rented our convertible and off we went.

Card Sound Road was a breeze but Route 1 northbound was a nightmare. Lots of folks left the Keys and we did not see a break in traffic until after Marathon. Not a lot of passing going on.

Went to the Islamorada Fish Co, had a couple of drinks and a bite. Gorgeous.

Rolled into Key West at 4:10 and headed on over to the Key West Harbor Inn where Tracy greeted us at the door. What a great place this is! She upgraded us to the king suite, and for the life of me the name escapes me. It was gorgeous and the bathroom was as well. It was upstairs to the right when you walk in the gate.

Happy hour there began at 4:30 so we chatted with a few folks that were staying there.

We freshened up and of course we went straight over to the Schooner Wharf for a cocktail. Then we headed to Dante's (jack was not there), then we walked around for a while, went to Mallory Square, had a mojito at Meson de Pepe, danced to a great band and then we walked over to where the Vandenburg was docked and took several pics. So glad we were there for this experience. We just walked and saw the sites, had another mojito at Willie T's and then back to our place.

Tuesday, May 26th:

Had breakfast there, then off to rent jet ski's and have some fun. Did that, but before, we went to Damn Good Food to Go, bagged it up and tossed it under the seat and stopped off at a sandbar (with several others) sat in the water and ate our lunch. This place is still a great spot to eat. I had their chicken salad sandwich and SO had the cuban. We also had some Corona Lights as well. Spirited around and then got back in at 2.

Went over to Schooner Wharf and listed to Rachel-she is awesome!, had a few rum runners, and bought her CD.

Showered, took a small nap, then happy hour again. Went over to Alonzo's for a few, had some oysters, then went over to the Sunset Pier, had a couple then the shrimp fest. Not impressed - no boat, shrimp were tough and not fresh and the corn tasted like glue. Tossed most of it out.

Headed over to Meson de Pepe again, had a mojito and danced, watched the sunset.

Went to Dante's, had a couple, and walked all over and stopped at Sarabeth's on Simonton, went to several other spots, stopped and talked to an awesome couple on Simonton, went to Willie T's for another mojito, then we went to Mr. Z's. SO had a fit over this place! I must agree, the food was awesome. I had a chicken Philly and he had the beef, we took it back after stopping for a slushee at Fat Tuesday's, went back to our place, ate by the pool, changed into our suits and had some fun in the pool-;).

Will post rest of the week hopefully. I am back at work ya'know!

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Mallory Square
Mallory Square
11,969 Reviews
Key West, FL
Sunset Pier
Sunset Pier
3,124 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Trip Report, May 25 and 26th (rest of week will follow)

Traffic OUT of the keys on Memorial Day is a PITA.

I've been fairly vocal about NOT traveling out of the keys on that Monday. Now you know why.

Thanks for the brief 2 day report. Waiting for the rest of it.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Trip Report, May 25 and 26th (rest of week will follow)

Great start. looking forward to future installments.

I hope the bad shrimp at Sunset Pier was an isolated incident. Sorry it was bad for you, anyway. I was looking forward to trying it

Mentioned in this post
Sunset Pier
Sunset Pier
3,124 Reviews
Key West, FL
Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Trip Report, May 25 and 26th (rest of week will follow)

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Sunset Pier. We were there with several other couples the same night as you & we all loved it. We thought the shrimp was the freshest we had in KW & had a wonderful sunset to view too. Maybe you had a bad batch? Hope your other dinner experiences were good!

Mentioned in this post
Sunset Pier
Sunset Pier
3,124 Reviews
Key West, FL
Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Trip Report, May 25 and 26th (rest of week will follow)

mojitos at El Meson de Pepe - YESSS!

The music and dancing there is always fun too.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Trip Report, May 25 and 26th (rest of week will follow)

Sounds like a fun trip! Thanks for posting.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,603 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Trip Report, May 25 and 26th (rest of week will follow)

I was reading this out loud to my husband and he said except for the shrmp (which I don't eat), it sounded like me. :) SWB, Willie T's and Mr. Z's are places we always hit. Can't wait to read the rest of your report so I can see if all my other favs are in there, too. :) Rum Barrel also has awesome cheese steaks -- I like them equally as well as the ones at Mr. Z's.

7. Re: 1st Trip Report, May 25 and 26th (rest of week will follow)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 07:20