We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 5/22 - 5/30 -- Pt. 2

Orlando
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 5/22 - 5/30 -- Pt. 2

Tuesday, we got up for breakfast and made it to Two Friends. I had the crab cake benedict and the Mrs. had the seafood quiche. The quiche was incredible.. I highly recommend it. From here we went to the cruise port area and did a little wandering and shopping. Next, we visited The Little White House and took the tour. The tour was good, and our guide was very excited. I was disappointed that we couldn't take pictures. Willy T's for conch fritters on the way back to the house for some relaxing. We picked up another friend at the airport in the late afternoon, grabbed some more supplies at Publix and got ready to go out. We went to El Siboney for dinner. Definitely the best hidden secret in Key West. I had ropa vieja and tostones and Candi had the skirt steak. Both were amazing. We eat cuban food pretty regularly in Central Florida, and this was a cut above.. and cheap. Next stop, adult slushees, then Irish Kevin's where we spent the rest of the night drinking and being merry.

On Wednesday, we got a late start again thanks to the night before and hit up B.O.'s again for lunch then made our way to Ft. Zach. This was our first time at Ft. Zach and I was pleasantly surprised. I know that Key West is not known for it's nice beaches, so I didn't have high expectations. It did the trick though and provided us an opportunity to get in the water. We spent about 2.5 hours at the beach and then went to the bight to sign up for the sunset snorkel cruise aboard the Caribbean Spirit operated by Sunny Days. We grabbed a drink at Conch Republic before heading out. The cruise and snorkel were the best part of our entire trip. The guys on the boat were very welcoming and chatted with us for the entire afternoon (when we weren't in the water). The conditions were perfect for snorkeling and the water was crystal clear. Unfortunately, this also meant that the conditions were not good for sailing. The captain tried to sail back, but we couldn't make it without a little help from Mr. Diesel. The sunset was possibly the best that I've ever seen, with the sun literally melting into the ocean. After running home to change, we went to Willie T's for dinner. Seafood Quiche here is awesome. Then we spent the rest of the evening at the house.

Back to Blue Heaven for breakfast on Thursday. Lobster benedict and shrimp/pepper jack omelette this time. Made the ritual trip to The Southernmost Point for the required pictures and then a little more shopping on Duval, then back to the house to chill out around and in the pool for a bit before happy hour. We made it to Alonzo's for happy hour. I love this place at happy hour. Beer steamed shrimp, steamed clams, buffalo shrimp and Dark & Stormy's. Amazing.. seriously. After Alonzo's, it was time for Pete & Wayne at Sloppy Joe's. These guys are a riot. Took a quick break to enjoy the sunset festival. Unfortunately, the clouds made sure there wasn't much of an actual sunset, so we made our way back to Sloppy Joe's for the rest of the evening. After Pete & Wayne, The Naked Karate Girls tore the place up. Nice gimmicky cover band that had us partying late.

Friday, we returned our friend to the airport and then had lunch at Pepe's. I had the Slit Ray burger and the special mac & cheese which was amazing (common theme for food in Key West). After lunch, we returned our bicycles to Eaton Bikes. I can't say enough about how great these guys were. We have rented bikes from other companies in the past and it's always been a bit of a pain. Eaton was completely painless, and inexpensive. Jason even hung out with us at the Regatta for a bit. I will rent from them every year from here on out and recommend the same to everybody else. We went back to the house after returning the bikes and vegged for a bit, then made plans to take the Sunset jet ski island tour. Our guide was Jessie, who was awesome. The weather was starting to turn, so the water was a little rough but this was definitely one of the highlights of the trip for me (as is any time on the water, I suppose). We got to go into the submarine pits and even into one of the slips, which was really cool. After the tour, the guys from Sunset hung out with us for a beer before we had to leave for dinner reservations. We celebrated our 1 year anniversary at Seven Fish. I had the Snapper in curry sauce and Candi had the scallops. This was one of the best meals I've had in years. Well worth the expense.

Saturday, we got up, finished packing and stopped in at La Te Da for breakfast before hitting the road. See you next year, Key West! You'll be missed.

columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 5/22 - 5/30 -- Pt. 2

I enjoyed reading your reports. You hit several of my favorite spots. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 5/22 - 5/30 -- Pt. 2

Nice report! There are sooooo many great places to eat on that little island and you hit some of my favorites. El Siboney is one of my favorites ( you got my mouth watering reading it, lol). I am glad you had a nice time.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 5/22 - 5/30 -- Pt. 2

Every report I read like this gets me thinking about the 500 places that we HAVEN'T eaten at - yet.

My tummy is growling thank you very much for THAT.

Thanks for the trip report.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 5/22 - 5/30 -- Pt. 2

Great report, thanks!

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 5/22 - 5/30 -- Pt. 2

Wonderful report. So glad you had such a nice time. Thanks for sharing!

Limey

Syracuse NY
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 5/22 - 5/30 -- Pt. 2

Great report, thanks! Sounds like you had a perfect blend of great food, fun, adventure and relaxation - my kind of vacation.

Cheers!

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 5/22 - 5/30 -- Pt. 2

So many people have been going to Blue Heaven for that lobster benedict and raving about it - I give up - I'm going out and getting some lobster (its cheap here in Maine now) and making that for Sunday brunch this week!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 5/22 - 5/30 -- Pt. 2

Thanks and so cool to hear about the Sunset Snorkel. I have been on the fence about it, but no more. And with the BOGO 1/2 off it is a smokin deal. Thanks again for sharing.

Orlando
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 5/22 - 5/30 -- Pt. 2

Arnie: Thinking about El Siboney now is making my mouth water as well.. and I just ate lunch!

Jrudg: Without a doubt the snorkel trip is my favorite part every year and this year was no exception.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 5/22 - 5/30 -- Pt. 2

Nice reports. Thanks for taking the time to make us jealous.............:)