We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Since I'm allergic to shrimp . . .

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
797 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Since I'm allergic to shrimp . . .

would I be allergic to conch fritters too?

I haven't tried them yet, but I'm wondering how I might react.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Since I'm allergic to shrimp . . .

Why take a chance? If you're allergic to one shellfish you might be allergic to them all.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Since I'm allergic to shrimp . . .

I wouldn't risk it either.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Since I'm allergic to shrimp . . .

I'm allergic to shrimp and I avoid all seafood. I've had a couple close calls eating in seafood restaurants and I wasn't even eating seafood (NOT in Key West). Sometimes restaurants prepare foods together (or use the same oil in their fryer) and I've had reactions.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
797 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Since I'm allergic to shrimp . . .

Two benedryl before shrimp allows me to indulge sparingly.

Everyone makes the conch fritters sound so GOOD, so I'm really tempted!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Since I'm allergic to shrimp . . .

See what the doctor says.... I wouldn't risk it... But what's life w/o a little risk=)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Since I'm allergic to shrimp . . .

Do NOT risk it unless you have an epi pen with you. The vast majority of people with a shellfish allergy are allergic to all shellfish. There is great food in Key West that doesn't come from the ocean.

Steve in Houston

Clifton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
791 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Since I'm allergic to shrimp . . .

Can you eat clams? Conch is like a clam so it may be OK. I am allergic to crab, lobster, shrimp, and stay away from conch and scallops. I do eat clam chowder with no problem but am afraid to try the others. Sometimes even a Chinese restaurant is a problem and I definitely stay away from Japanese Steakhouses with habachi tables. Why take a chance especially on vacation?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Since I'm allergic to shrimp . . .

Don't do it. I have the same allergy and avoid all seafood. Yes, the conch fritters smell great and are very tempting, but I give them a pass, as consuming some would likely result in an embarassing medley of life-threatening issues that would put a serious damper on the rest of the day's fun activities. There are plenty of great restaurants and an unlimited amount of non-seafood choices, so why risk it?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Since I'm allergic to shrimp . . .

I'm also very allergic to shellfish, especially shrimp, lobster and crab) and am very careful to make sure that I avoid all shellfish, and that includes conch. It isn't worth the risk of ending up in the hospital.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
797 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Since I'm allergic to shrimp . . .

I can eat lobster, dungeoness crabs, blue crabs and snow crabs with no issues. It's just the shrimp that has sent me to the hospital. I appreciate your advice and thanks for the responses.