We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear??!

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, TX
1 post
Save Topic
What to wear??!

We will be in Key West the last part of October. I have never been to Florida, and would like to know what to wear and what to expect weatherwise?! I've heard that dressed up in KW is a clean tank top...Is this true? or should I dress up a little more. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Donna

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear??!

Our trips to Key West have always been in July; but the Keys enjoy tropical weather year round. My parents have visited there several times in the winter and usually only use a light jacket at night. October should still be very warm, unless a storm comes through. Yes, Key West is very casual. You will see every kind of dress imaginable. We mainly wear shorts, and tropical print tops. You can see what people are wearing first hand by going to a webcam called "live duval street". You can see the tourists walking up and down the street in front of Sloppy Joe's bar. There's a lot fun things to do in Key West; however our very favorite things are found a few Keys to the north. Take a day, or two and visit the more natural Keys, it is awesome! There is an "island excursion" tour out of Big Pine Key which is a wonderful way to explore the Keys. There is also a wonderful Kayak tour through mangrove islands which is also based in Big Pine. Also, the snorkeling down there is great. We were just in the Keys this past July, and I'm already planning our next trip! Hope this helps. Have a great vacation!

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear??!

My suggestion to you, Donna, is that you wear what makes you happy. I've seen just about everything wearable worn in KW. The only thing that doesn't work is stuffy and uptight. Anybody who really cares what you wear, doesn't belong in KW.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear??!

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful 5 days in Key West. With the temperatures reaching the high 80's and high humidity, I'd recommend wearing whatever you feel comfortable in! Most of the time during the day we would wear our bathing suits with tshirts over top, nighttime was a mix of shorts, shirts, casual mini skirts (for me, not my hubby). You could also check out the Duval webcams to see what people are wearing LIVE: http://www.liveduvalstreet.com/

Have fun!

Michigan
Level Contributor
905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear??!

I've been there several times and can assure you that Very Casual is the attire everybody wears! I've even been though some nice museums wearing shorts over my bathing suit and no shoes. Although, in Key West nobody will look at you funny if you wear a ballet tutu, a scuba mask with combat boots.

The good thing is, you can pack extra-light! Last time we traveled, we brought only carry-ons so we wouldn't have to wait at baggage claim. Shorts, tank tops, and flip-flops were all we needed!

New York
Level Contributor
212 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear??!

Although you did not mention it in your post, I assume you realize that you will be in KW during Fantasy Fest, which starts 10.24 through 10.31. During the evening, many people wear little if anything at all except for a few daps of body paint. Skin is definately in.