We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from Ft Myers?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Golden Valley...
Level Contributor
114 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
drive from Ft Myers?

We found really cheap flights into Ft Myers, and are renting a convertible to drive down to KW. Question--is it better to take I-75 or US-41(after a quick snack in Naples)? As far as google is concerned, there is mere minutes difference. Is this true? or is one route much longer? My preference would be to get there asap- but if there is more to "see" on one or the other, that might be more fun in the convertible. Anyone with any advice? I couldn't really find a good place to post this question, but everyone on this forum is so helpful, thought I'd give it a try. Thanks in advance for any help! --smlou

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from Ft Myers?

IMO.. the sites really start once you get onto US 1 on the overseas hwy.... so you won't be missing much with either route you take to get you there... again.. IMO.

I'm doing the same thing in a week.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive from Ft Myers?

The drive from Fort Myers will take roughly 5 1/2 hours if you don't stop. But why not stop.

If you take I75 (alligator Alley) you turn east sooner, but hit the toll road much further north. BUT you can go across the state at 85+ MPH. It is a 4 lane (2 in each direction freeway).

Taking 41, you turn east - further south, but 41 heads further south than I 75, but the road is more scenic but windier and is only 2 lanes (one in each direction).

If you take I75. Turn off on State road 27 and follow the signs to the toll road. Take the toll road to Florida City where it will merge with US 1.

41 will run right into the toll road.

The real beauty of the trip starts after Key Largo on US 1.

I've done both trips, I like alligator alley. I don't want to stop along the way. If you want to stop and see stuff, go 41.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive from Ft Myers?

Let me rephrase. I don't like stopping from Fort Myers to Florida City. I'll stop at "Robert is Here" in Florida City and many spots on US 1, but from Ft. Myers to Florida City - no thanks, I'll just get there.

Key West
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive from Ft Myers?

Arnie does this trip all the time so I'm sure she's the expert and can help you out. I have been driving to Naples and back again for almost 20 years. (have family property in Naples) I have found that taking 41 (Tamiami Trail)to Krome Ave. then down US1 is the shortest and fastest way. If you drive out of the Ft.Meyer's Airport and get on 75 get off at the last exit before the toll then follow the signs to 41. It is Marked "Last Exit before toll" I think it's 15 but I can check if you are going that way. It is 45 min to the airport form where I join 41 then 1.5 hrs across to Krome Ave. Then 30-45 min on Krome Ave. then 2.5 hrs on US1. It can be a bit faster if traffic is light. Do watch the "Indian Reservation" on 41. They drop the speed limit to 45 mph and ticket heavy.

Tight lines,

Bonez

Golden Valley...
Level Contributor
114 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive from Ft Myers?

Thanks for the replies - sounds like there are "pros" either way. I too am "all about the journey" this time around, as it is our first time driving to KW.(or actually visiting there) Thanks to this forum, we have planned stops at Alabama Jacks, Sparky's and Hog Fish (the "unplanned" could number many) once we get to US-1, but I guess until then, I'd say the quicker the better...thanks for the help!

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive from Ft Myers?

Lou - if this was my first trip through Ft Meyers and the NAples area I'd want to stop and see Naples. It's as different from the Keys as you can get - and worth the side trip if you have the time and inclination. But then I'm all about seeing a few specific things along the way this time then high tailing it the rest of the way to get to my destination. I'll save some more sights for next time.

Have a great trip!

7. Re: drive from Ft Myers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 07:19