We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

key west- end of August?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
key west- end of August?

We are considering a week at the end of August.

It's the only time we can get there this year.

Any thoughts?

I know it's "hurricane season".. Anyone been there at that time?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: key west- end of August?

Besides what you mentioned, its a good time to go. Everything is open and its a little slow because kids are getting ready to go back to school or already have so you will see very few families. Weather wise it will be VERY hot and VERY humid.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: key west- end of August?

As one who goes in early September every year, I say yes. Absolutely. Go. It will be hot, humid, slow, beautiful, wonderful. Go.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,166 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: key west- end of August?

I was there once in August and didn't give storms a thought, but it was very hot & humid and we hit a few T'storms mainly at night. The heat made walking around a chore. We'd linger a little in front of stores that had AC going, but the cool drinks were good. Make sure you stay at a place with a beach or a good pool with some shade.

Pjk

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: key west- end of August?

We've been in August and loved it (but then I've loved Key West every time we've gone). Had a little rain one day, but nothing too bad.

Maryland
Level Contributor
395 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: key west- end of August?

Been to KW first week of August and another time 1st week in Sept, it's fine. Any tropical location you go to it will be hot. Go catch yourself some lobster and take at least one each fishing trip and snorkel trip. Dont waste time considering and just go ahead and book the trip. I'm going 1st week in

Sept, this year. it will be just as hot where I am coming from. YOu dont know if there is a hurricane threat until a few weeks before. No different than any where else tropical. But I say I would rather be there under a hurricane threat than where I am which is on the north\ south US border east coast. The hurricane parties are worth it alone.

Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: key west- end of August?

We go every year in August. Yes, it's hot and humid. We take it a little slower but, then again, we are on island time! No crowds....No waiting lines anywhere. During the day, walk on the shaded side of Duval St (or any street for that matter). Spend time in the pool. Find the few air-conditioned bars in KW and have a drink or two. Nights are beautiful....still steamy and humid....tropical. Have never encountered a hurricane....only a few quick summer showers....and we've been going in August for 14 years. Guess we've lucked out and managed to pick the right week! :) Although we head down at other times of year also, there's something special about summertime....or maybe it's the heat scorching my brain!!!!LOL

Don't even think about it....just go ahead and book your trip. You'll have a great time!

Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: key west- end of August?

We go every year in August. Yes, it's hot and humid. We take it a little slower but, then again, we are on island time! No crowds....No waiting lines anywhere. During the day, walk on the shaded side of Duval St (or any street for that matter). Spend time in the pool. Find the few air-conditioned bars in KW and have a drink or two. Nights are beautiful....still steamy and humid....tropical. Have never encountered a hurricane....only a few quick summer showers....and we've been going in August for 14 years. Guess we've lucked out and managed to pick the right week! :) Although we head down at other times of year also, there's something special about summertime....or maybe it's the heat scorching my brain!!!!LOL

Don't even think about it....just go ahead and book your trip. You'll have a great time!

Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: key west- end of August?

Sorry about the double post...didn't intend to....problem with being taken to the Facebook page. I unfortunately hit the back button and then tried to go forward. Stupid me....I ended up double posting by accident. SORRY!!!!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: key west- end of August?

No sweat - it's a good post and bears repeating, right?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: key west- end of August?

Thanks everyone!!

I think it's a go.

SOOOO excited!

<3 Bevvy