We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Orlando to Key West - where to stop for 2-3 hours?

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving Orlando to Key West - where to stop for 2-3 hours?

Hi All!

This forum has been very helpful for planning my trip to Florida this coming August. I'm hoping one of the TripAdvisor veterans can help me with a quick question!

My wife and I will be driving from Orlando to Key West on a Sunday. We will leave Orlando at 8/9 am and ideally want to reach Key West before sunset (7/8 pm) so that we can enjoy the view as we drive into Key West!

Is it feasible to stop in South Beach, Miami for 2-3 hours for lunch, or will it be a traffic nightmare?

Are there any other places that are recommended to stop where we can have lunch, walk around and relax? Ideally we would like to stop approximately mid-way between Orlando and Key West to give ourselves a break from sitting in the car for so long!

Thanks so much for your help!

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Orlando to Key West - where to stop for 2-3 hours?

You never know what the traffic will be like in Miami so personaly I would skip Miami.

A stop at Alabama Jacks would be near the half way point, great place for lunch. It's on Card Sound Road, when you get into Florida City watch for The Last Stop Saloon on the right then make a left on to CSR.

If you want to take it slow on you drive down then when you see a place you think you want to stop, stop and check it out.

Have a great trip!!!!

Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Orlando to Key West - where to stop for 2-3 hours?

I agree with Bottomtime 100%. You'll need more time for a Miami/South Beach stop. Instead stop at Alabama Jack's in Key Largo for lunch. Then take your time traveling through the keys. There's so much to see. Have a drink at Rumrunners in Holiday Isle, stop at Sombrero Beach in Marathon to dip your toes in the ocean, see the key deer in Big Pine Key. While there, stop by No Name Pub for really good pizza. There're so many other places to see....these are a few suggestions to stretch your legs and get a feel for the keys.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Orlando to Key West - where to stop for 2-3 hours?

With 2 or 3 hours, I would do the stop in Miami Beach. A Sunday in August should be that bad. Head to the Lincoln Road area for lunch and a great place to walk around and people watch. There is public parking in the area. If you post on the Miami Beach forum, you can get more detailed suggestions.

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Orlando to Key West - where to stop for 2-3 hours?

I agree that your lunch stop in Key Largo would be best and then a leasurely drive down to Key West. How long will you be staying in Key West; hopefully for 3 weeks!!!!! as there are lots to do and see. Try and stay at Cypress House on Caroline Street and you will have the time of your life. Wish I was coming too. Have a great time.

Clare

England

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Orlando to Key West - where to stop for 2-3 hours?

Jumping over to SOBE is super easy from the Turnpike. Straight shot. Lincoln Rd is good for some shopping, walk about and grab lunch at one of the many many restaurants right there.

Traffic shouldn't be an issue on a Sunday.

Ramrod Key, Florida
Level Contributor
386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Orlando to Key West - where to stop for 2-3 hours?

The Morikami Japanese Gardens west off I-95 at Linton Boulevard in Delray Beach.

http://www.morikami.org/

Montgomery Alabama
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Orlando to Key West - where to stop for 2-3 hours?

Just did that trip two weeks ago and i agree with Alabama Jacks for lunch. Then from there take your time through the keys "exploring" or whatever. We ate at Alabama Jacks for lunch. Great food, great atmosphere, great waitress, great expereince. Crocodile, 2 manatees, fish, birds,.....cnt wait to go back

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Orlando to Key West - where to stop for 2-3 hours?

We usually stop at Islamorada Fish Company.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,811 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Orlando to Key West - where to stop for 2-3 hours?

We're driving from Orlando to Key West next week. Usually we just drive straight through, but this time we're going to try to leave a day early and spend the night in Miami. The ONLY reason we're stopping there is because we're staying at the Embassy Suites -- to get free happy hour, free breakfast and HH points. Otherwise, I wouldn't stop in Miami at all; I'd wait until we got to Key Largo.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Orlando to Key West - where to stop for 2-3 hours?

This forum is great... Thanks for the information everyone!

I think we will take it as it goes. If we are running ahead of schedule we will go to Lincoln Rd in South Beach. If we are strapped for time, then we will hit up Alabama Jacks in Ley Largo!