We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report July 4-12

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report July 4-12

Our family returned to Key West for our second time. We traveled with our two sons (ages 10 and 7). Each morning we ran through Key West and around the harbor before it got too hot. The only problem was it just wasn't long enough. I'm not sure how long we would have to be there before we would feel ready to come home.

Saturday- We arrived at FLL at noon, got our rental car and got on the road. The traffic was heavy, but it didn't take that much extra time. When we arrived in Key West, we put things away in the condo (Truman Annex) and headed to the grocery store (Publix) to stock up. We then ate dinner in and headed down for the Fury Fireworks Cruise. I had to stop by and get a Flying Monkey frozen margarita on the way! Fury had four boats going out, so the line was very long to get on the boats. The cruise was great, it was nice to be out on the water at night. I would have liked to be a little closer to the fireworks, but it was adequate.

Sunday- Off to Fort Zachary Taylor for a day at the beach. We went to Salsa Loca for dinner. The food was pretty good. Nancy, the owner was right on top of everything. She stopped by our table several times to make sure everything was OK.

Monday- Our friends arrived from New York, and got settled into their place. We hung out at the pool and then walked along Duval. We went to BO's for dinner and it was yummy, It is expensive for what you get, but it's very good and very fresh. My husband and I each had the Mahi Mahi sandwich and it was huge. No fries, but I'm not sure I would have had room for them anyway. Our boys each had two huge cheeseburgers. My sons really love the decor of this place, especially the license plates.

Tuesday- Another day at Fort Zachary Taylor. We came back, hung out at the pool and walked along Duval down to the Shrimp Steaming at Sunset Pier. This is a perfect location to eat and watch the sunset. Our friend doesn't like shrimp, so he ordered off of the regular menu. It was busy, the band was great, and you can't beat it for five dollars.

Wednesday- This was our snorkeling day. We went out with Sunny Days on the Reef Express. The conditions were very good. It was nice that we were on a smaller boat. Some of the other boats passed by with so many people on them, I was thinking they would probably scare the fish away. :) The crew was very helpful, and we would definitely do this again. The guys went out to Cowboy Bills to watch the bull riding contest.

Thursday- This was my friend's 40th birthday. We went back to the beach and pool and then to El Siboney for dinner. We had a wonderful dinner. The girls had the grilled grouper, the guys had the pork. The kids had chicken fingers (they weren't feeling very adventurous). The Sangria was delightful.

Friday- Another day at the pool. Very relaxing. We went to Dante's for dinner and the kids swam in the pool. The food was very good, and you can't beat the atmosphere. It's too bad it wasn't busier, this is a perfect little gem. We went out to Irish Kevin's, Conch Republic and Cowboy Bill's.

Saturday- Our last full day. We went back to the beach for one last time. We ran to Irish Kevin's to see NY Paulie. Appetizers and drinks at the Hard Rock were good and the kids never get tired of looking at the displays.

Sunday- Sad to get in the car and drive back to the airport. We already can't wait to get back.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report July 4-12

Thanks for taking time to write a report. Checking travelaocity for flight info yet?

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report July 4-12

Great report! We were proabably at Sunset Pier at the same time. :)

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,160 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report July 4-12

When you went out on the Reef Express did you make two snorkeling stops? If so, can you recall the names of them?

I hope they keep that Tuesday night shrimp fest going as long as possible this year and do it again next. I met the head of marketing for the Ocean Key Resort in May and I want to go back and tell him about all of the good times that people have had at it.

Pjk

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report July 4-12

What a wonderful time! Thanks for taking the time to do a trip report.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report July 4-12

Yes, we made two snorkeling stops on the Reef Express. I don't remember the names.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report July 4-12

Enjoyed your report. Thanks for sharing your trip with us..........it feeds our KW addiction.........

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report July 4-12

We were at Sunset Pier when you were - it was our first night in KW - awesome. We could see the fireworks from our rooftop deck of our house. Wish we would have known about the cruise - I love fireworks! Glad you had a great time - thanks for the report.

Garwood, N.J.
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report July 4-12

If you went out at the same time I did w/ my daughter that day (9a.m.-1p.m.) the first reef was Sand Key and the second was Rock Key.

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
556 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report July 4-12

Thanks for posting..I always feel better after reading about someone else's trip. good info

10. Re: Trip Report July 4-12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2010, 05:17