We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 7/8 - 7/13 - First But Not Last Visit :)

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
290 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 7/8 - 7/13 - First But Not Last Visit :)

So my husband and I visited Key West for the first time for our honeymoon. I will try really hard to keep this chronological .... but we'll see what happens :)

Papa's Hideaway - I want to start by mentioning our experience at Papa's Hideaway on Louisa Street. Fred and Andrea were the best hosts EVER! They are very friendly and amazingly helpful... Love this place and we have already agreed it is "our place" we have no need to stay anywhere else. The rooms are very comfortable and CLEAN! ... The pool is wonderful. The grounds are beautiful and lend to a feeling of tranquility and relaxation. We enjoyed the breakfast they set out each morning ....very warm muffins, fruit , oatmeal , cereal , hard boiled eggs , bagels and cream cheese , english muffins yada yada .... all but one morning this was our breakfast. Sitting out on the deck enjoying breakfast and chatting with other guests was a great start to our mornings. Many thanks to Andrea and Fred for sharing their little piece of paradise and making our stay so comfortable and relaxing.

Wednesday 7/8 - We arrived in Key West at just about 11 am . Took a taxi to Papa's , dropped our bags , took a swim , and then changed and headed out to explore .... just down the street is the Southern Most Point but the line was quite long so we decided to wait on the picture. We walked much of Duval on foot , then decided to find El Siboney for an early dinner ... DELICIOUS ... we very much enjoyed our meal there ... I had the cuban mix and Mike had the hamburger Steak ... both were very good .... we also enjoyed the tomales and croquettas. Wonderful meal and very timely service. We found the CVS picked up a few things for the room and then decided to walk over to Fort Zach and try to catch the sunset from there ... what an interesting walk that was ... I do not believe we took the easiest route and at one point I said to Mike " I think we are walking through the projects" but people waved and a little boy wizzed past us on a bike saying "how y'all doing?" ...very friendly place Key West is ... by the time we found Fort Zach the park was closed oh well.... we ended up making it an early night ... we had been up most of the night before and between that and the heat we were wiped, so we went back to the room enjoyed a few coronas on our porch and a dip in the pool and went to bed

Thursday 7/9 - Enjoyed breakfast by the pool , and chatting with a couple who were leaving that day but had been coming back and staying at Papa's for years ... they were actually contemplating switching their flights and staying .... they also recommended stopping at The Bull and mentioned "Debbie" made a great Bloody Mary . After breakfast we headed down Duval (again on foot) and stopped in to the Bull ... ran into the same couple who were on the phone trying to change their flight :) ... Debbie makes a mean Bloody Mary and immediately I loved the Bull , the bloody mary's and the people watching . Sadly our new friends were not able to stay , shame, it would have been fun to hang out with them. We visited the Hemmingway House and thoroughly enjoyed the tour ...very interesting ...I find Key West History Fascinating ... More walking around and I believe we made our first trip to SWB .... enjoyed a Michael McCloud set ... I am now the proud owner of his double cd set :) ... had a few beers and ordered their sampler and their wings ... not bad ... we ended up eating a lot of bar food this trip ...

We had booked a Wind and Wine with Danger for that night so we headed over to the pier ... The Wind and Wine was great ... great wine and snacks (Im still thinking about one of the cheeses they served us) ... the crew were awesome ... and we made friends with 3 other couples while on board. It was very hazy that night so the sunset wasn't the most impressive but after tasting 8 different wines WHO CARES???? ... After the sail we ended up hanging out with the 3 couples we had met .... Folks , this is where it all gets a bit fuzzy for me .... what I do know (not in any particular order) is that we were at Margaritaville at some point , Ricks at some point , ordered an Angelina pizza at some point , I believe Irish Kevins ... I do remember holding onto a pole next to a stage and dancing my a$$ off at one point but where or for how long I couldn't tell ya .... I apparently bought a CD of a female sax player (Amy Lee I believe) which I listened to yesterday while I cleaned my house and really enjoyed . I also danced on the street while a very nice man played some eccentric violin and he even took pictures with us .... the funny part, we have a picture of me and one of the ladies we were hanging out with dancing on the sidewalk and the violin player is in the picture but his bow is in his hand and at his side ... no where near the violin, HA! ... so I guess at that point the music in my head was suffice for me to shake my groove thing on the street :) .... After that Mike "spotted" me all the way back to Papa's while I stumbled and swayed to and fro across the sidewalk :) Great Night!!

Friday 7/10 - Okay slept in on this morning .... Holy Hangover!! So after Mike so graciously brought his crazy wife a muffin and coffee back to the room, this Upstate NY gal finally decided she was done with the walking ... we rented bikes from papa's and headed back over to Fort Zach (taking the sensible route this time) we rode the bike trail, collected sea shells , pretty stones and a few interesting pieces of coral for the kids and hung out on the sand just taking it all in and snapping a few photos.

I believe there was also a stop at the Bull and one of Debbies Fabulous Bloody Mary's ... and we also hung out at Captain Tony's ...... We were starting to get hungry so we headed to CR and ordered some apps .... I had a spinach dip of sorts (can't remember the name off hand) and Mike had clams ... I could see Seabus sitting at a table and thought he looked familiar so I kept watching for the flag to go up ... after we finished our food we went over and introduced ourselves .... Tim and his lovely wife are great people and that was some spectacular birthday cake ... as more people showed up we ended up taking over a few tables and we really had a great time. Tim and his wife, Lisa and her hubby, Vicky and her gorgeous family , Sherry , Bill, KeyLimey, I could go on and on ... there were so many of us and we all ended up at SWB .... we were having a great time and I felt bad because my feet were really swollen and then I started to not feel so good so I wanted to head back closer to Papa's , but my husband was having an even better time than I thought ... so unfortunatly I had to interrupt his sharing drunken shrimp and enjoying great conversation with Kelly :( .... To all who were there it was absolutely wonderful meeting you and hanging out ... it was definitely one of the highlights of our trip ...thanks for the memories :) ... we tried to stop at Green Parrot (another favorite) on our way back , but I was done so we headed back to the room for another early night.

Saturday 7/11 - We enjoyed breakfast by the pool again ... and I believe we followed that up yet again with a stop at the bull ..... more bloody mary's ... around lunch time we asked Debbie what she recommended close by for lunch ... she told us we had to try the "bleu blitz burger" at Fogarty's ... so we did .... and wow is that a great burger .. .not to mention their fries are also really good .... we actually went back to Fogarty's for dinner on Sunday ... but I got the burger again and Mike got a Shrimp Pasta dish that he really liked. We also had their Bruschetta ...so very good. We shopped for Kinos and did more riding around on the bikes and eventually ended up at LaConcha for the sunset .... met a very interesting Irish couple ...chatted with them and then Lisa and her hubby showed up so we got to chat with them some more .... good times ... still hazy but a nice sunset ... after that we ended up at the bull but only had a drink and headed back to Papa's

Sunday 7/12 - This day we ventured to Blue Heaven for breakfast .... AMAZING .... I had the avacado omelette with salsa , sour cream , and black bean ginger sauce ... I have dreams about that omelette ... Mike got the Bacon Benedict and also really enjoyed it .... we wandered around , went back to Papa's for a swim and then took our daily nap (we took a nap everyday ) went to Fogarty's for dinner .... then headed down parked our bikes and went to SWB until it was time to head to head to Mallory Square .... Marissa (sp?) at the SWB was our bartender and she is great! .. Caught a decent sunset finally and then it was on to Captain Tony's (I have quite the collection of souvenir cups) Yay for Pirate Punch :) .... we were chatting with 2 ladies who were in Key West having a "girls weekend" and discovered we were all staying at Papa's ... we hung out for a while and then Mike and I headed over to Green Parrot .... the bartender from SWB Marissa ended up coming in and we did some crazy shot with her ... a shot glass full of Rootbeer Schapps I think it was and beer in the cup .... okay whatever ... down the hatch :) .... Then the ladies we met at Captain Tony's who were staying at Papa's also came in and sat down ... we ended up hanging out with them and we all walked back and went for a swim and then called it a night ... again ... Good Times

Monday 7/13 -We have a case of the "Last Day Blues"

We finally took our picture at the Southernmost Point ... we had checked everyday and everyday before that we had decided it was too hot to wait in line :)

We visited the light house and keepers quarters , I believe we stopped at the Bull or Captain Tony's or both that morning...Went to Mr Z's and had cheesteaks for lunch .... good cheesteak ....My personal Favorite is right down the street from me here in Syracuse ... but this was definitely a good cheesteak :) .... Then we visited the East Martello ran into Sherry and Bill there ... nice to see them again ... and then sadly we flew home :(

We LOVE key west , the people , the music , the vibe ... everything about it .... we had "planned" on doing so many things and I had a list of restaurants ... but at the last minute decided I would remember anything really important and I ditched the lists ... There are still so many things we want to do and see so we will definitely be back , We are actually planning on bringing each of our 5 children for their 21st birthdays :) .... but will definitely have to figure out a way to get there in the meantime .... mike has already been online looking for deals :)

Thanks for all the help here on TA , all the answers to my questions here in the forums, the suggestions , the trip reports etc ... Ill be here in the forums dreaming about Key West until we get back again :)

Denise

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 7/8 - 7/13 - First But Not Last Visit :)

great and fun report!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 7/8 - 7/13 - First But Not Last Visit :)

I've been waiting and waiting to see a report from you! It was worth waiting for - I'm exhausted just reading it! You guys did it right - I ditched my list by the second day too. The DE's are right - just let KW happen to you. It was great meeting you and Mike at the CTH -I have a cute photo of you. Wish we could have visited longer, but those ghosts were waiting on us... Congrats on your wedding and thanks for a great and totally entertaining report! I think I need a bloody mary.....

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
290 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 7/8 - 7/13 - First But Not Last Visit :)

Vicky your family is beautiful we really enjoyed meeting you ...we have a picture of you too Im so glad I brought my camera everywhere :) ... the Ghost Tour is something I really wanted to do and we didn't ... YET :) ... Just another reason to go back :)

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 7/8 - 7/13 - First But Not Last Visit :)

Very enjoyable report. Thanks for posting it!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 7/8 - 7/13 - First But Not Last Visit :)

Great report. Loved reading it. Sounds like you had a terrific time. Gotta try one of those bloody marys at the Bull.

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
290 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 7/8 - 7/13 - First But Not Last Visit :)

BobandMari - I have to say .... I had one made by someone other than Debbie at the Bull once ... and it was not even close ... We found Debbie there early in the day most times :) just a tip :)

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 7/8 - 7/13 - First But Not Last Visit :)

but did you have fun???????? LOL

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 7/8 - 7/13 - First But Not Last Visit :)

Planing your next trit as soon as you get back is a symptom of the Keys Disease. I woul imagin you and your husband have a mild case.

There is no cure but what helps to control the pain is another trip!!!

Glad you had a good time.

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
290 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 7/8 - 7/13 - First But Not Last Visit :)

LOL ... Definitely had FUN!!

And bottomtime - I do guess we have a case of the disease...I feel worse everyday :/ ... I imagine the disease gets worse the more you visit :)

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 7/8 - 7/13 - First But Not Last Visit :)

Yes, but it goes away when you are there!!!!!