We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another first timer trip report

West Newton...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
another first timer trip report

Haven't posted to this forum since my initial signup in Jan. but I planned our trip by frequent checks to the kw posts and trusting the advice yunz (Pittsburgheese) offered. It was one memorable trip for our family. I can honestly say the even with a 14 and 16 year old along the TV in our room did not turn on even once. My wife and I did not exactly engage in any Duval Crawl adventures but every evening we managed to partake of some local spirits at various establishments as we strolled Duval and Mallory Square.

I will follow up with the daily highlights on a reply to this post but first a very large and appreciative thank you to all the postings I read in the past six months.

West Newton...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another first timer trip report

Arrived Saturday evening and after checking into the BW Hibiscus was pleased to find the room large, very clean, and priced right. We set out for Duval and had dinner at Fogarty's. Their Cobb Salad was fantastic.

Sunday was an all day beach experience split between Smathers and Fort Zach. Since we weren't expecting much in the way of beaches, I can say that you may unfairly talk down on the ones in KW. Granted, they are not what you think of in the tradition sense but there are sandy spots to throw your towel and with water shoes the swimming was a very pleasant experience. One thing both beaches have is shaded areas to fall back into without having to lug or rent and umbrella.

We sought out El Siboney for our dinner and it was everything yunz raved about.

Monday was an all day outing on Danger Charters. Brian was the captain with Cristy and Don for crew. The personal touch they created made us feel so welcome that when we got back we booked and afternoon trip with them for Wed. I know that since we were first time snorkelers we have nothing to compare to, but there can't be many other places in the U.S. that can combine such good snorkeling and reasonable prices.

Somehow we ended up at Duffy's for dinner. IMO this was the only bummer of the week. Average food and a Denny's-like atmosphere with prices well above the norm for such a dining experience.

Tuesday was a trip north to Bahia Honda State Park. Maybe it is a bad time of the year but the two larger beaches on the Atlantic side were overrun with seaweed and deserted. The bay side was o.k. but a little crowded. Limited shade areas (we were too late to stake one out) and no umbrellas to rent meant that our stay were shorter than planned, so we just made our way back to Smathers and had fun wading out at low tide. I swear that even 100 yards out it was still not up to my hips. Found two empty and one occupied conch shells. Put them back and had a fabulous dinner at the Blue Heaven.

Wednesday was just a lazy have day at the pool before a nice lunch a Turtle Kraals and then our afternoon outing on Danger Charters. Ended up with Brian as captain again with John as crew mate. Both outings were similar yet still different enough to feel like we were snorkeling and kayaking in totally new places. The first few days in town seemed to always have low hanging clouds on the horizon around 8:00 but after a glorious sunset on the water we were able to truly see what the sunset celebration is all about.(in addition to being a damn good reason to start boozing,that is.) We loved the dinner at Abodanza's but I forgot the warning about the pasta portions. Ended up taking enough back to the room for the next days lunch for us all.

Thursday was another beach day and we spent the whole day enjoying Fort Zach. The teens were not keen on the fort tour but always being into history I strolled through by myself and found it interesting. It is nice that your admission to the park is good all day which allowed us to head back to the room for the above mentioned lunch yet still return to finish the day back in the park. Had a nice dinner at the Rooftop Cafe before checking out the Pappas at Sloppy Joes. With an overflowing crowd and youngsters along we only hung around for an hour or so.

Friday was an 11:00 parasail. Sunset Watersports had an unbeatable price of just 30.00 each so we all had another first to add to the memory bank. Took an visit to the KW Lighthouse and was impressed with the view. After walking past a few more historic places it was back to the beach. ( can you sense a pattern here with my family? ) We had some great food that evening at Finnegans Wake. The wings have to be some of the best in town and I had the sloppiest-best tasting Rueben in years.

Saturday rolling around meant bad news in that we would need to board a plane out of town. We took time to check out the Art and History Museum and also the Aquarium since our flight was mid afternoon. Had to make time to stop in B.O.'s for lunch before leaving and was not disappointed.

This might have sounded like a boring week to most families on vacation but spending a few hours in the evening out with the crowds before heading back the hotel for a game or two of euchre was tops in our book. The wife and I are already thinking about when our next trip to KW will be. We think though, we want to try it next time less the kids.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: another first timer trip report

Thanks for the TR! We really like BWH when we bring the kids. Sounds like you had just the vacation you wanted. :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another first timer trip report

Thanks for the trip report!

Have to say that I agree with in relation to Duffys, don't think it is a good place for dinner.....

michigan
Level Contributor
355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: another first timer trip report

Nice to hear of another family that plays euchre on vacation, truly a midwestern game.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: another first timer trip report

BORING WEEK?

Sounds like a fabulous week to me. Thanks for the report.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: another first timer trip report

Yes, you can do Key West with or without kids and you'll likely have two different but very enjoyable experiences. It sounds like your family had a great time!! Less TV is not the end of the world, right? lol

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: another first timer trip report

What a wonderful time. It doesn't sound the least bit boring to me! Thanks for taking the time to post your report.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,006 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: another first timer trip report

And another mention on the boring - not at ALL. Sounded like a fabulous trip to me.

Glad you enjoyed!

Looking forward to your next trip report :>)

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: another first timer trip report

Nice report, glad you had a good visit.

PJ

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: another first timer trip report

Great trip report. Wow, if that is your idea of boring, I would hate for you to see our itinerary when in KW. We really, really take it easy while down there :-)