We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin swim

Boston, MA
1 post
Save Topic
Dolphin swim

We are going to Key West in early January. Is there anywhere nearby that we can do a dolphin swim? I think they have some tours on Key West, but we would like to be able to swim with the dolphins. Also I know the weather is unpredictable, but is it generally warm enough to swim? Thanks!

Saltwater Angler
Sightseeing Tours, Gift & Speciality Shops
Ski Key West
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Waterskiing & Jetskiing
Key Lime Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin swim

Head up to Grassy Key to the Dolphin Research Center at MM58/59. Highly recommend it out of a long 16 year relationaship with them.

The DRC web site: www.dolphins.org

Be advised that swimming in the open ocean with dolphins is illegal under the Marine Mammal Act. So, do not be taken in by tours that advertize open water dolphin swims.

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin swim

Hey Endeavour - If dolphins were that clever why do they always end up being caught in nets or being trained animals in zoos and this place on the Keys that you bang on about endlessly.

Dolphins are business in Florida and other Gulf Coast countries. I think it stinks.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Milw, WI
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin swim

The DRC is the most responsible place for a dolphin encounter. After you have been there you understand why there are laws against "casual" encounters with wild dolphins. It's for our safety and theirs.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin swim

I'm with E on the DRC.

The water's really chilly in January. You might be able to jump in for 20 minutes or so on a warm, sunny day without being miserable -- some of my northern relatives do. But I'd really recommend a 3 mm wetsuit or at least a shorty if you're going to snorkel. I believe the DRC will supply a wetsuit for a dolphin swim.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphin swim

...perhaps worth every penny but be forewarned....it ain't cheap! (We were going to do it but needed CPR after hearing the prices!)

norfolk, england
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphin swim

f.a.o.paddlinunit---we are interested in going to the drc next year-and after checking their website page,found their prices very reasonable[$50 trainer for a day course]

what prices have you been quoted? im very curious, as i say we are going next year to orlando-and want to get the most out of our swim with the dolphins.

a reply would be much appreciated.

many thanks

regards

andy and kerri

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolphin swim

andyandkerri:

You night want to recheck the price for the DRC Trainer for a Day Course -the price is significantly higher on the DRC web site than $50.

How's $650 sound ?!??