We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from key west to orlando

IRELAND
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
driving from key west to orlando

just a few questions here. if we drive from key west to orlando, how long is the journey time. also can we bypass miami? we dont really want to get caught up in the traffic around a big city. i suppose we should leave as soon as we check out of our hotel in key west to try and avoid heavy traffic. any replies much appreciated.

Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
400 Reviews
from US$49.99*
US$75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
154 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
142 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Scranton, PA
Level Contributor
240 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: driving from key west to orlando

We did Key Largo to Orlando in 2005, when Hurricane Dennis came through, and that was a pretty good, long drive. Coming from KW is much, much longer.

According to Mapquest, it's almost 7 hours and 393 miles. That includes getting on the turnpike and bypassing the stop lights in the city once you get on the mainland.

I'd break that up into two days if it fits into your plans.

Point Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
137 posts
83 reviews
2. Re: driving from key west to orlando

Looking at maps and various website, it will take 7 hours. My husband and I plan to pick up our rental car in Key West at 8am, and be in Orlando between 3-4pm, depending on stops along the way. You can bypass Miami by a long shot - there is no need to drive anywhere near Miami on a Key West to Orlando trip.

IRELAND
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
3. Re: driving from key west to orlando

thats great thanx a mil for the replies. if we were to break up the trip into 2 days and stay overnight somewhere on the way is there any place ye would recommend to stopover that is not off our route to orlando?

Ramrod Key, Florida
Level Contributor
386 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: driving from key west to orlando

I actually drove to orlando last weekend from key west in ordinary conditions. There were three dead people on the seven mile bridge who died by hitting an oncoming vehicle which delayed our departure from home by five hours (which is always a consideration). After that fiasco (for them and for us)we arrived in Mount Dora at 9pm via the Turnpike with a deviation on my preferred scenic route, highway 441 north from Yeehaw Junction to Holopaw.We left our home in the Lower Keys at 2pm. This was an 80 mile per hour drive on the Turnpike with several stops along the way. To spend the night along the way would diminish a vacation in Key West by one night to sleep in a nondescript motel next to the Turnpike. To travel further afield to enjoy a mor einteresing overnight stop lengthens the journey proportionately.

IRELAND
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
5. Re: driving from key west to orlando

did you decide to stop at mount dora overnight to break the journey to orlando?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,645 posts
112 reviews
6. Re: driving from key west to orlando

The turnpike is the best route once you exit the keys but it does go thru the Miami outskirts, just not thru the heart of it like I-95 does. Look t the sawgrass bypass and it will have less traffic.

As stated I wouldn't waste time in a motel near the turnpike, however if you decide to spend the night along the way you will want to get off the turnpike at the town you decide on and travel towards the ocean. Jupiter would be a nice 1/2 way point. There are some posts on here about the Jupiter lighthouse and the blowing rock located there. Once you are north of Jupiter there really isn't much along the turnpike. It turns inland at Ft. Pierce and there's only 1 other exit after that before Kissimmee / Orlando. Other options are Ft. Lauderdale (Sawgrass Mills outlet mall located here), Palm Beach or exiting the turnpike around Ft. Pierce and taking I-95 to one the small towns along the coast such as Vero Beach, Melbourne or Cocoa Beach.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: driving from key west to orlando

Are you going to the airport and need to be in Orlando at a specific time? It's a 7 to 8 hour trip, and I wouldn't stop overnight along the way and give up a night in Key West.

Limey

IRELAND
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
8. Re: driving from key west to orlando

yes i think we will just go straight to orlando and not stop over night. just stop for lunch somewhere to break the journey. if we stay in the floridays again we will just have to arrive and check in. i know when the time comes we will be just as glad we stayed on the road and not to have stopped overnight on the way.

9. Re: driving from key west to orlando

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2010, 06:15