We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places like key west

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Topic
places like key west

My lady and I are planning are winter vacation now can anyone recommend some vacation destinations similar to key west but not key west? we want to try something new, we havebeen going to key west for few years now and we will return again but need a change. flying from michigan

Springfield IL
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places like key west

Have you thought about exploring some of the other Keys?

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,915 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places like key west

Key West is one of a kind, if you like Key West then you will have to go to Key West.

For a change of pase try driving up to other keys and explore, you never know what you will find!!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places like key west

by similar do you mean winter temperature? or historic seaport town? tropical?

I love the Keys, outside of KW is a totally different type vacation than staying in KW. We will sometimes do 2 Florida Keys trips a year, one staying in KW, the other staying in the lower or middle Keys. I love them both. The one in KW is mostly spent enjoying the town, bars with great live music, people, etc. The one in the lower or middle keys is spent snorkeling, kayaking, fishing, then a nice seafood dinner either cooked in or at a local restaurant; and some stargazing over the water at night. Very different vacations, both great!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: places like key west

I've done some traveling around the country and there is no place in my experience that is even remotely like Key West. Most especially... the people here. No place else have I experienced 'locals' (now, I am one) who care about you, as a visitor, having a great time. I'm also from Michigan - Good luck in your search but I'm thinking it'll be fruitless.

mi
Level Contributor
350 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places like key west

I like your question. I have seem similar questions asked on this forum and the knee jerk reaction you will get is "there is no place like Key West".

I suggest:

Miami Beach, walkable, lots of restaurants/shops, lots of accomodation options plus a great beach that beats anything in the Keys.

New Orleans, walkable, lots of restaurants (and don't tell anyone but they may be better than Key West), lots of shops, lots of accomodations, similar architecture to Key West, MUCH better music, but no beach and no island vibe.

You might want to look into Playa Del Carmen, Negril and St Augustine as well.

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places like key west

"Like" KW? No. That's why it's special.

Can you find better restaurants anywhere else in the world? Absolutely. KW doesn't have a lock on all the good food. Better beaches? Sure. Nightlife? Of course. Fishing? Water sports? Art? Culture? Demographics? History? Architecture?

Point is that you can find lots of places in the world where one or a few of these are superior to KW. I challenge you to find all of them in one place.

So again, no. It's fun trying and we encourage everyone to do so, but we always head back.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: places like key west

Every place is different. Yes, of course there is no place like Key West but you can say that about a zillion other places too.

I find that I like Sanibel and Captiva. They have that old island feel Key West use to have and the people are WONDERFUL. New Orleans is the same way - lots of culture, history and warm and friendly people. St Augustine and Amelia Island are also choices to consider. Siesta Key is just beautiful and even parts of Destin have that Key West feel.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: places like key west

Well I have to agree with most of the posters that Key West is a unique animal... And with all due respect to the last poster, I don't think Miami would even be in the same sentence. Only thing similar would be that they have beaches.

Maybe try a St. Barts or something along those lines? But honestly, if you're looking for a change up, just change it up all the way. Go to Vegas, NYC or something along those lines.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: places like key west

We've tried many other places but have been unable to come up with a place where we feel so comfortable and happy as in Key West & the keys.

CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: places like key west

How about St. John, USVI?

Fly into St. Thomas and take the ferry over...