We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm Heading to Key West in Nov and need some advice :-)

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach, Ca
2 posts
Save Topic
I'm Heading to Key West in Nov and need some advice :-)

Hi all,

I am staying in Key West Nov 9th through the 11th. I have read all this wonderful advice and am so thankful I found this forum. I have 2 questions....

First - can I snorkel in November without a wet suit? What is the weather like at that point?

Second- I read the walk from the southernmost point to Mallory Square for the sunset is 10min...is this accurate?

I also hear that the powerboat races??? is there at that time...what is that?? I LOVE powerboats...so can I just watch from the shore?? Or am I completely off about what this event is all about???

Thanks for everyone's time in advance - Elizabeth

Cape May NJ
Level Contributor
184 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm Heading to Key West in Nov and need some advice :-)

Well, you have to walk real fast to get there in 10 min. We stay at Pearls and it is just a block from the southernmost. I walk to Mallory sq. every morning when we are there and it takes me about an hour round trip.( and that is doing a little window shopping). As for the power boats... I don't know where you can watch them but on our first trip to KW years ago, we were on our way to dinner on our second night and as we got to the restaurant on Duval st. the street started to fill up and out of no where there came this parade of power boats being pulled by amazing trucks and people waving and horns blowing. We ducked into the rest. and asked if we could be a few mins late so that we could watch the parade. they said No problem. It was magic.. and that is the night that I got Keys Disease. I have not stopped thinking about KW since. Have Fun. Bridget

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,585 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm Heading to Key West in Nov and need some advice :-)

The walk is more like 20 minutes if you are in a hurry. You should be fine snorkeling in November. the water is usually still pretty warm. Finally, you can watch the races from the Truman Waterfront, Fort Zach, or the Mallory Square/Weston areas.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm Heading to Key West in Nov and need some advice :-)

The first actual race day is Nov. 11th, but they will be testing out the boats the day before. The Boat Parade is Sunday, Nov 8th at 4 pm, for anyone who is going to be in town then. It's a huge event and lots of fun to watch. There will also be boat trips out to watch from on the water.

Limey

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,947 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm Heading to Key West in Nov and need some advice :-)

I'm bummed to be missing the Power Boat parade. We were in town a couple years ago when the Budweiser Clydesdales led the parade. We watched from the Green Parrot, great place, we got to see everything coming and going.

However, we do arrive the 12th, so we'll see some of the racing.....

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm Heading to Key West in Nov and need some advice :-)

The walk is definitely more then 10 minutes... probably 20 would be about right... maybe a little longer. But it's a fun walk regardless=)

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
255 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm Heading to Key West in Nov and need some advice :-)

the walk....depends on how many pubs you stop at along the way. We have missed a few sunsets trying to get to Mallory Sq.!!!

Have Fun.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
365 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm Heading to Key West in Nov and need some advice :-)

We stayed at SMOTB and I would say the walk is about 20 minutes if you don't stop. However that's the problem ;-) it's real difficult to walk from point A to point B in KW w/out a few detours.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm Heading to Key West in Nov and need some advice :-)

I snorkeled twice last November, once with and once without a wet suit and was cold both times. I had to get out of the water after 30 and 40 minutes. In May and July I can stay in the water for 60 and 70 minutes.

Some trips, Danger, e.g., will provide wet suits for free, and most of the others will rent them for $10.00.

Pjk

Sewell, New Jersey
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm Heading to Key West in Nov and need some advice :-)

IMHO Nov is one of the best month to be in KW and the week of the boat races makes it that much more interesting if you are a boat race fan. Now the answer to your question. You should be fine in the water in Nov without a wet suit. Me and my friends have been in the water either snorkelin or wave running every Nov and we never had a problem being too cold, usually too sun burnt though. Walking Duval end to end is easy depending how many pit stops you make along the way, a lot of great bars and retaurants litter the way and some time the urge is just to great to resist making the 15 min walk a lot longer. To wather there races there a few options from mallory square and from the power boat race village, or even better a boat charter out into the thick of it for the thrill of the race.

You are going to have a great ime for sure anymore questions just give a shout.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm Heading to Key West in Nov and need some advice :-)

if you are going to try to get from one side of KW to the other I recommend renting a bicycle. You can do the whole length in 10 minutes easily.

And I would really advise bringing a wetsuit or renting one. The shallow waters of KW can get cool fast if a front comes down. Plus, now that we're no longer kids, we seem to not be able to enjoy cool water as easily. A full suit is not something I ever thought I'd need in Florida, but the temps in the 60's just cause too much shrinkage! LOL!