We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt Key West Resort

Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
730 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Hyatt Key West Resort

I will be staying ay the Hyatt on my upcoming trip in February (I was able to get a really good deal). I stayed at the Hyatt about five years ago and thought that it was a really nice place even though it was getting very mixed reviews at the time. As of late, it seems to be getting really good reviews from all of the posters. Has the recent renovations made that much of a difference? Also, the one big disappointment I found in the hotel was their restaurant (Nicola's), which I had read pretty good things about at the time. It wasn't that it was bad, it was just that it wasn't that great. I have noticed that since the renovations that the name of the restaurant has changed to SHOR. Is it still the same restaurant with just another name? Is it any good? Are there any really good breakfast places around the hotel?

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt Key West Resort

For breakfast Pepi's on Caroline.

PJ

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt Key West Resort

For a good inexpensive breakfast, Harpoon Harry's is great also.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,806 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt Key West Resort

You can walk just across Front Street to Pepe's for a good breakfast. (I think this is waht PJ means) There's a coupon on their web page for a free glass of juice, a beer (for the hard core) or a piece of Key Lime pie. On the other side of Duval on Front is the Rooftop Cafe, but they do no open until 9:30, 10:30 for Sunday brunch. And a really nice place is the Dock Cafe at the Galleon Resort overlooking the harbor. Walk to the end of Front and make a left. Be sure to pet the resident cat/caretaker.

Pjk

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,806 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt Key West Resort

Sheesh! too many beers. You can walk across Front to Two Friends Patio Restaurant for breakfast and that coupon or over to Caroline to Pepe's. Sorry PJ!

Pjk

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt Key West Resort

I've never thought the food at the Hyatt was particularly good, though we used to go there for breakfast occasionally. I can't remember if we've been since the name changed, but my guess is that the food is the same.

My vote for breakfast goes to Pepe's on Caroline, too. It's not in the immediate area, but Sarabeth's (on Simonton) has fabulous brunch food.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyatt Key West Resort

Harpoon Harrys

Pepes

Better yet - order a Con leche and a breakfast sandwich from Sandys and have it delivered to your room and enjoy it with the view from your balcony.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyatt Key West Resort

We always enjoy Turtle Kraals for breakfast. It's a short walk from the Hyatt to the seaport.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,806 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hyatt Key West Resort

Turtle Kraals used to be one of my must dos for breakfast but since they changed to a BBQ place it hasn't been the same. It seems as though the BBQ has infected everything, including the breakfasts, so that one of my favs, huevoes rancheros, is no longer enjoyabble. It spite of the location and view, I can' suggest the Kraals for breakfast anymore.

For heuvoes rancheros now, Bagatelle on Duval Street. What a pleasnat difference from TK's.

Pjk

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hyatt Key West Resort

I think the renovations to the Hyatt are lovely, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay. It looks to me like SHOR is an entirely new restaurant, as the menu is altogether different than the Nicola menu (and I will miss the macadamia encrusted snapper). The new outdoor bar is much more comfortable and a great place to relax.

As for breakfast spots, you've been given some great ideas here, Pepes, Harpoon Harrys, Two Friends. For coffee and a nosh, you might also try the Coffee Plantation on Caroline Street.

Although I'm not staying there, I will likely be visiting the Hyatt Key West in a couple of weeks - if I learn anything interesting, I'll post.

Lower Keys, Florida
Level Contributor
121 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hyatt Key West Resort

I've had dinner at SHOR and was very happy with the meal! It's been a while so I don't recall exactly what we ate but I'm sure it was fish and I recall being pleasantly suprised (as I was also no fan of Nicola's).

I'd also suggest enjoying a bottle of bubbly and the ocean breeze with some bruschetta one afternoon or evening (Feb temps should be just perfect for that). I do recall a phenomenal chocolate dessert that day...with syrup to pour over it!

I saw a post somewhere that said the breakfast was good there but I've yet to make it myself.

Enjoy a sail on Floridays while you're there as well...it leaves right from the dock at the Hyatt, as does Southpoint Divers if you are into SCUBA.

Enjoy!