We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days till Paradise

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greensburg...
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
4 days till Paradise

Super excited! First time to Key West and it is very much needed I think. Can't wait to leave it all behind for a week. Have lots of ideas but no definate plans for the week other than to catcha a sunset or 6. Maybe do some snorkeling too. Can you snorkel at the beaches? Funding is looking tight for the trip and it may be a spaghetti week :). Also is there a place to rent equipment or should I just buy it somewhere? See you soon!

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
790 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days till Paradise

Hi Tbelle: I'm so...jealous! We aren't going until June. After MUCH asking of questions ( on this forum ) AND perusing the websites, to answer your questions, YES you can snorkel at the beaches and there are equipment rentals there. Check out my posts regarding such. Have a wonderful time...I KNOW you will!!!

Foxy~

Burlington, New...
Level Contributor
236 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days till Paradise

We're leaving on the 19th also and it's our first time too. No definite plans, just winging it. So unlike me. I can't wait. Don't even care if it rains. I need to get away from these impossible co-workers. Suckers....stuck in NJ.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,796 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days till Paradise

Where are you staying?

Fort Zach has snorkeling equipment rentals and an entrance fee. Tropical Watersports on Higgs Beach will rent you a chair and snorkeling equipment for $10.00 pp. And Sunset Watersports on Smathers will rent equipment but I don't know what it costs.

If you are not staying at a place that has access to the ocean it's probably not worth buying snorkeling equipment unless you just go for a mask & snorkel at the CVS. If you can manage about $35.00 - $45.00 pp, best to take one trip out to the reef.

Pjk

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days till Paradise

Have a great time Tbelle and Dawn, no plans is a good plan. lol :)

PJ

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,648 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days till Paradise

If you're hoping to have good snorkeling I would def take a trip to the reef. Equipment is almost always included although I prefer a dry snorkel so bring my own to make it simpler. The trip is worth it even if it means skipping a nice dinner! You can get many recommendations for less expensive dining....mine, El Sibonney!

Greensburg...
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days till Paradise

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm staying at Poinciana Place and have beach passes to Ft. Zach I believe with the house. I figured we'd probably go out more than once and was wondering if I shouldn't just buy us some gear. We'll see. I would REALLY like to take a trip to the reef, but money is going to be TIGHT. I have a nice list of happy hours I'm going to take advantage of. If I can swing a trip I most definately will. Dawn *yay!!!* Let's just not mention to much about rain, hehe.

Burlington, New...
Level Contributor
236 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days till Paradise

Sorry Tbelle not wishing for rain, but it's better than being at work. I also worked up a list of happy hour places, maybe we'll cross paths. Only 3 more days.

Have a great time.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days till Paradise

In addition to El Siboney, you can also try Abondonza. They have HUGE portions, so share or take it home for the next day. Also, do not be afraid to share. Most portions in Key West are very large. We love the Chicken Parm Heros at Francos deli and alway split one making them very affordable.

Even the upscale places welcome you to sit at the bar and share some appitizers or an entree, and as you already know, happy hours can also be great. Finally, there are some great meal specials this time of year. Be sure to check the Citizen. You can eat pretty well in Key West even on a tight budget!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days till Paradise

Oh have a GREAT time Tbelle and Dawn!

You are going to love Key West! We have been planning how to get back there ever since our last trip and planning to return in May.

Ft Zachary is wonderful.. very beautiful.. we love to spend days there.. just make sure you take water shoes with you.

Here is my review on Ft. Zach with pics from my last trip. I also posted a video. Click on my profile to view the video.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34345-d1041…

I do not know if you have a car, but if so, take a ride to Bahia Honda Park at mile marker 37. Walk the old bridge.. the beaches at bahia honda are so beautiful! It is a must see and do.

Here is my review of Bahia Honda with pictures from my last trip.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34085-d2195…

My profile has other reviews on things in Key West that we did like catamaran trips, Truman White House and Hemingways if interested and it helps you.

Have a fabulous fabulous vacation and have a Chocohol at Flying Monkeys for me!!

Sun

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days till Paradise

I have to apologize....

I may have got carried away with my last post with posting all the review information. I know you probably already researched..

I just got so exicted for a moment reliving my last vacation.. well.. you see what happened..

SO JEALOUS! Have fun.