We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving through the keys Saturday help???

Greensburg...
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving through the keys Saturday help???

I have several placese I'd like to stop and check out. Time's not a factor... well.. not terribly. Leaving FLL around 1:30ish and heading down. Anyone know the mile markers? Directions off of 1?

First question, would like to hit up Alabama Jacks and Robert is here, which should I do first? And I can follow card sound road back to 1?

Hog Heaven

Robbies

Sparkys

Sombrero Beach

Bahia Honda

No Name Bar

Blue Hole

Not sure if I'm going to check them all out or not... we shall see.

I noticed when I looked at the Bahia pictures is there more than one "beach" there? Saw something about Caloosa and Sandspur?

I know that's alot of questions guys, but thanks in advance for any help!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving through the keys Saturday help???

Ok, I may be off a mile or 2 on some but will do my best on MM's.

Hog Heaven - take a left after the draw bridge - immediate left. MM85ish. Sit outside.

Robbie's - 71ish. On your right after the bridge on Tea Table Fill. Pass Bud and Mary's, about a mileish later.

Sparky's Landing - MM53. Second light into Marathon. Turn left - Sadowski Cswy. In the marina.

Bahia Honda - yes, multiple beaches. Turn right in the park and go all the way back for the most popular one. about MM 37ish. On your left

Blue Hole - turn right at light in Big Pine - fork to the left, a couple of miles down on your left.

No Name - same light, keep to your right at the fork, keep going, keep going....will be on your left.

All directions are coming from MIA

Have fun! Watch out for Motorcylces this weekend - Poker Run.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving through the keys Saturday help???

When the Florida Turnpike rejoins US 1, you have only a few block until Florida highway 9336 turns west toward Everglades National Park. About 2 or 3 miles out the highway makes a hard left turn and if your are going too fast and cannot complete the turn, you end up in Robert is Here parking lot. This is your first stop. When you return to US 1, turn right and within 1/2 mile Card Sound Road turns left. You should too, as this takes you to Alabama Jacks and then on to Key Largo. You will come to a T intersection first, make sure you turn right and the road will rejoin US 1 in Key Largo.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving through the keys Saturday help???

I almost missed Sparky's Landing. Drove right by it and had to turn around and come back. It's about 1/4 mile from US 1 on Sadowski Causeway, just after the big boats, on the left.

Sombrero Beach in on Sombrero Beach RD. There will be a plaza on the left with a K-mart. Next road to the left.

Bahia Honda has 3 beaches. Calusa beach has the best opportunity to see the brightly colored fish if you snorkel. It will be at the end of the road if you turn right at the T in the park. If you turn left you will come to Sandspur beach, the nicest sand beach in the park. I didn't spend much time at Loggerhead Beach so I won't comment on it.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving through the keys Saturday help???

If Loggerhead is the beach I think it is.. it is gorgeous.. very shallow... you can sit in the water and watch fish swim by.. the water is very very clear.

When going to Bar with No Name.. watch for Key Deer! You will see them sleeping under trees in peoples yards and running down the roads if you are lucky.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving through the keys Saturday help???

Oh and it is possible to explore all the beaches at Bahia Honda in the same day.

I also recommend taking time to walk the old bridge.. we saw tons of dolphins from the bridge as well as rays, turtles and things.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving through the keys Saturday help???

Robert is Here is closed in Sept. and Oct. So you'll have to put that on the list for your next trip.

Hog Heaven mm 85 oceanside

Robbies - MM 77 bayside

Greensburg...
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving through the keys Saturday help???

Thank you all. Once again, TA people never let me down :). You know off the topic I was watching the tropical outlook by the national hurricane center and it's the first time in a week that there has been an "orange" 30-50% probability of a weather area developing into a tropical cyclone. It's just off the cape of africa and moving at 10mph, but still. What the heck... better see it gone by tomorrow!

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving through the keys Saturday help???

Have a great trip -- and relax...if there's a hurricane you'll have a good story to tell. If you end up drinking hurricanes you'll have a good story to tell - - if you remember it!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving through the keys Saturday help???

But it still has 50% of not developing. ;)

Last I saw (haven't looked today) that blob was headed North and out to sea. If you're going to be here today - no hurricanes.

10. Re: Driving through the keys Saturday help???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2010, 04:19