We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Marrero's really haunted?

Patchogue, New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Marrero's really haunted?

I am thinking of staying here and really, not that I care whether it's haunted or not, but I'm just curious if anyone has seen this woman or noticed anything unusual.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Marrero's really haunted?

It all depends on whether you believe in ghosts or not. Some people have sworn that they have seen ghosts. Call me an agnostic, but it has a history.

I've been in places where a few creepy things happened. A number of years ago I was in the Philippines staying at the historic Manila Hotel. This was used by the Japanese during WWII as a headquarters and interrogation and torture center. Later it became MacArthur's HQ during post war. It is notorious for ghosts of the victims of the Japanese who were tortured to death there. Most Filipinos won't stay there. I got a bit spooked by something I saw, and alcohol was not involved.

So do ghosts exist or is there some natural cause for these? I dunno.

Patchogue, New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Marrero's really haunted?

I believe in it and in a way, I wish I didn't already read that it's haunted so I won't be "looking" for things to happen. LOL

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Marrero's really haunted?

I know locals who swear its haunted including someone who once worked there and quit she got so spooked. Key West is a very haunted city. There are a few books out on the subject.

http://www.phantompress.com/

St. Louis
Level Contributor
923 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Marrero's really haunted?

Oh my God, there is something standing behind you right now............

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Marrero's really haunted?

We sure hope so - that's part of the reason why we're staying there for our next visit! She is a wonderful woman and won't harm you in any way, although she may steal your swim suit...

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Marrero's really haunted?

Lots of mysterious happenings reported. Nothing to be afraid of, though. I believe that it's haunted, but you'll have to decide for yourself.

Limey

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Marrero's really haunted?

Room 18 used to be the hot spot - make that cold spot - for sightings. The upstairs room at the front of the house also had its share of activity. The ghosts of Enriquetta and her children have been reported all over the public areas including the pool and front porch. Observe the chandelier when you enter to see if she likes you.

West Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Marrero's really haunted?

We have stayed in room 18 (Enriquetta's room) for my 40th birthday and you just feel like there's an extra presence in the room. Benevolent, but still kinda creepy.

Also, our friends stayed in the adjoining room 17, which was the nursery (door between the rooms is now sealed). That room was really strange. Our friends ended up coming over to our room one night to sleep because they just felt uneasy, hearing noises and voices. Excited, we took their room because I thought it would be a great experience, but didn't notice anything (we also like to ride through the graveyard every trip, so go figure).

Room 17 is a nice place though with two big queen beds and a great porch for watching the world go by on Fleming.

I also have stayed in room 21 (at top of the stairs) by myself a few times. There's a big uncovered window above the door, which shines light from the hallway chandelier into the room. I have noticed shadows passing by, but there's never any people out there. Believe me, you do hear people coming home from Duval late at night and they can wake the entire mansion up, but this is much more subtle. No noise, just quick passing darkness then light again. Almost like the light has a short for 3-5 seconds.

Also, the Ghost Tour stops by the front of the house almost every night after sunset so you can listen to the story being told by an 'expert.'

If all of this freaks you out just ask for room 12, which is out by the pool. It's a newer addition and not part of the house and is great for just falling out of bed nekkid and into the pool.

cheers!

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Marrero's really haunted?

i stayed there one time and never again. i like looked in the mirror and what did i see???? MYSELF. i was so out of there.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Marrero's really haunted?

LOL. You don't have to wait for a Ghost Tour to stop so you can hear it from an expert... We're filled from floor to rafters with experts right here! DLS4 - Well, you can say he wrote the book on it... In fact, two of them. "Haunted Key West" and "Ghosts Of Key West" both by Phantom Press. http://www.phantompress.com/ (Great reads.) KeyLimey runs Key West Ghost and Mysteries Tour - http://www.keywestghostandmysteriestour.com/