We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on restaurant rankings

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Update on restaurant rankings

Blackfin Bistro is number 19 in its second week and Flaming Buoy debuts at number 23. Those are the fastest and highest jumps in the TA rankings in history. Amazing what an orchestrated (IMO) campaign can do

Clearwater,FL
Level Contributor
278 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on restaurant rankings

What are you saying? The ratings may be aeasily manipulated? Never!

This is the main reason that many reviews, or even advice, should be taken with a grain of salt.

Obviously a person who owns a moped rental shop is going to say that Moped's are a fun and safe wayfor a family to see KW.

As my Father always said, never ask a barber if you need a haircut.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on restaurant rankings

Its not fair that the system that TA has now would allow for such a "leap frog" affect for new restaurants. I wish there was a better answer.

Syracuse NY
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on restaurant rankings

I had a spectacular lunch at the Blackfin Bistro yesterday. The place is run by its clearly dedicated and friendly owners and has an tropical/urban/casual vibe. We ordered a goat cheese appetizer special that will soon be a regular offering - other diners around us were talking about how wonderful it was and when it arrived, they were proven right. The yellowfin tuna burger with cognac infused mayonaise is going to be a huge seller as well.

I'll be writing my review (and a much more extensive trip report) after we return home next week. I didn't take the time to see the reviews that have already been written, but there is a lot of local buzz about this place (front page article in the business section last sunday) and a high ranking is going to be in the future for this wonderful new spot!

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on restaurant rankings

TA should wait until there are a fair amount of reviews before a restaurant gets a rating.

PJ

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on restaurant rankings

Oh, PJ that's an excellent idea. They could just post the reviews, maybe in a "new to TA" restaurant category, but not add them in the existing rankings? It just doesn't seem right that a restaurant suddenly appears on TA and then quickly gets a handful of only "excellent" 5 star ratings and ends up being rated higher than other longtime well run places with many more 5 star reviews, but also a few less than excellent reviews; which makes their rating average worse than the new restaurant with only a few (although excellent) reviews.

It just doesn't make good sense.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on restaurant rankings

well, however they got to where they are, the interest on this page has made me put it on my list of places to hit when down there in TWO WEEKS. so i guess whatever strategy was involved; it worked - they are getting some attention for sure. going to start my list of restaurants today; any ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner? (joke YBB - JOKE)

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Update on restaurant rankings

This list was never "The Gospel of Luke" to begin with. Experiences vary and it's nothing more than opinion. In my opinion, El Sibboney doesn't deserve to make the Top 20 KW restaurants, much less the Top 5. My experience at Blackfin was head and shoulders above that. In the end, people are going to like what they're going to like and some ranking isn't going to change anything.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update on restaurant rankings

I finally had lunch at Blackfin. The setting is great and you can see the owners and staff are trying hard to make this work. I think it has potential. Unfortunately, I thought the food was only average. I had the fish sandwich and it was OK. The fries were nothing special either. Most people seemed to be ordering burgers and they looked really good.

I will try it again, but while everything was good, I can not say there was anything really special about what I ordered. The prices are great, but like most new places, I imagine they will creep up if the place does well.

I have already posted my feelings about the rating many times and I do feel they are manipulated and pretty suspect. Both in terms of Hotels and Restaurants.

columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update on restaurant rankings

I was never trying to indicate that Blackfin Bistro or Flaming Buoy are not good restaurants, just like two others I listed as having made use of friends to push their rankings, Azur and The Good Life, were good restaurants in my opinion. My gripe is simply that using friends or employees to boost your place in the rankings is an ufair practice. And PJ, I agree with you that it should take more reviews to move so highly so fast. With my somewhat obsessive interest in restaurants, I have been checking the weekly rankings for three years religiously every Wednesday when they change, and TA has obviously changed their policies once again in the last six months or so. I remember when Santiago's Bodega had twenty some reviews, all outstanding, before it made the top twenty-five. Now you can do it with five if they are written in close proximity to each other.

As for people not paying any attention to the rankings, I would say maybe not the people who read this forum, but that is just a fraction of the people who use Trip Advisor and I don't think the majority of people who come to Key West do use the forums actually. You can tell that from reading the reviews. If you do read them, just see how many people you recognize from here. Most of the people who frequent this forum would rather just write a trip report and think that covers it rather than writing reviews. I think they do indeed boost a restaurant's business and you can tell that in several ways. One; once they are ranked highly; notice the number of additional reviews a restaurant gathers as opposed to those lower in the rankings who may go months without receiving so much as one. Two, I don't think restaurants would be doing what some are doing if it didn't affect their business. Three, why would we have had the report from the person who said that Sarabeth's was hassling her about a less than satisfactory review and asked her if she realized what an effect that had on a restaurant's business?

Bo, I do have a few suggestions for you, but I don't pay all that much attention to their wine lists, so I am not sure how helpful they would be for you. (JOKE)

Key West
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Update on restaurant rankings

I have a couple of questions:

There is a restaurant in town that requests in it's radio commercial that it's customers write a review for it on Trip Advisor and another site. An obvious attempt to influence the ratings, is that OK?

When my customers leave my boat I request that if they liked the trip and had a good time to please write a review on Trip Advisor. (If they didn't' have a good time I give up Buffettguys phone number and tell them it's his fault.) Is it OK or right for me to attempt to influence the rankings?

Tight lines,

Bonez