We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a nice hotel for 25th wedding anniversary...

Boston
Level Contributor
117 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a nice hotel for 25th wedding anniversary...

I am looking for a nice hotel for the wife and I to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I've been to Key West a few times with my buddies. "Nice hotels" were not really a big issue. We just stayed in decent, clean places( Sothernmost Hotel, Best Western Hibiscus). I am looking for something a little more upscale. I would prefer something a little quieter than the hotels up near Mallory Square. I was thinking of something like La Mer and Dewey house, which are on the quieter end of Duval. I also thought I read somewhere Southernmost has added another upscale hotel in that area. I haven't been to Key West for about 5 years, so I'm sure things may have changed. Maybe even Sunset Key? I've never been there, but I hear it's real nice. I would say my budget is about $400-$500 a night so I should be able to find something fairly nice. Also, I am planning on a June 2010 trip. I believe the rates should be a little lower around that time. Any input, ideas or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Mallory Square
Mallory Square
11,963 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
766 Reviews
Key West, FL
Southernmost Beach Resort
6,085 Reviews
Key West, FL
Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a nice hotel for 25th wedding anniversary...

The new and improved Southernmost on the Beach is much more upscale than you probably remember. We have stayed there the last 2 trips. First in once of the older rooms and this year in a new room. With your budget you can certainly book on of the ocean front rooms. Check out their reviews for user photos, Mine are there too. Although we had a much less expensive room.

June is a less expensive month but I think Sunset Key will proabably still be more than you;re looking to spend. How about a nice anniversary dinner at their restaurant though? You can take the ferry over, see the sunset from the beach and enjoy a great meal.

Edited: 24 November 2009, 23:06
Mentioned in this post
6,085 Reviews
Key West, FL
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,016 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a nice hotel for 25th wedding anniversary...

If your budget is that much you can have your choice of several places on the north side of the island, but I wouldn't exclude La Mer and Dewey House as they get great reviews and being on the south side is not a problem since the island is so narrow along Duval Street, about 1.25 miles.

On the south side look at the Westin, both on the island and out on Sunset Key, the Ocean Key, and one of the Harbor-view rooms at the Pier House. Westin is just on the other side of the Mallory Docks, and the Ocean Key and Pier House are at 0 and 1 Duval Stree, respectivelyt, so you can see how convenient they are. And as for quiet vs noisy side of the island, if you are at the pool areas of the Westin or the Ocean Key, or on the small beach at the Pier House, you will not know from noise. They are all insulated from anything going on on the streets.

Personally, I stay at the Pier House since I like a baach, beach-side restaurant, and palm trees, but al of these are good.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Duval Street
Duval Street
11,447 Reviews
Key West, FL
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
2,752 Reviews
Key West, FL
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a nice hotel for 25th wedding anniversary...

For something special and romantic, the Gardens Hotel is #1 in my book. The Marquesa Hotel is another great place. They are quiet and off the Duval strip. Simonton Court, Mermaid & Alligator and Mango Tree Inn are all very nice also.

Mentioned in this post
The Gardens Hotel
The Gardens Hotel
1,878 Reviews
Key West, FL
Marquesa Hotel
Marquesa Hotel
1,076 Reviews
Key West, FL
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
766 Reviews
Key West, FL
Mango Tree Inn
Mango Tree Inn
91 Reviews
Key West, FL
falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a nice hotel for 25th wedding anniversary...

The Hotels by Mallory Sq are actually pretty quiet. After all, they couldn't demand the high prices if folks couldn't get any rest.

But if you haven't done it before, you my want to check into renting a private house. Alot of the homes are very nice and many of them have private pools...... talk about romantic. : )

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a nice hotel for 25th wedding anniversary...

I agree with flat top. Renting a home maybe the route you want to go. I also agree with flattop on the hotels near Mallory Square. I recently stayed at Ocean Key and i'm totally sold on this place. Congrats on 25 years!!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Mallory Square
Mallory Square
11,963 Reviews
Key West, FL
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
2,752 Reviews
Key West, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a nice hotel for 25th wedding anniversary...

Another vote for Ocean Key Resort. With that budget you should be able to get one of the Ocean Front Suites on one of the higher floors. Click on my name for a review of it with pictures.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
2,752 Reviews
Key West, FL
Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a nice hotel for 25th wedding anniversary...

Ocean Key, Pier House, or rent a house.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
2,752 Reviews
Key West, FL
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,380 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a nice hotel for 25th wedding anniversary...

Plenty of Opinions.... Here is mine:

I would not rent a house. It is your anniversary, let someone else cook and clean and I would want the amenities of a B&B or hotel. Since you do not want to be right at Mallory Square, it eliminates the hotels in that area like Ocean Key and Pier House.

For a small, romantic place I suggest the Gardens Hotel or The Marquesa Hotel. Both are great places with great service and rooms. The Marquesa also has one of the best restaurants on the island which you might want to consider for your anniversary dinner.

For a resort with a nice large beach, look at The Casa Marina. See if your budget will cover a room facing the ocean in the Old Section of the building. They have great private decks and are beautiful rooms. This hotel is a bit further away from Duval, but has the largest beach area and the feel of a classic resort. If you want to be closer to Duval, Look at the Ocean Front Rooms at the Southernmost on the Beach in the new section of the Hotel.

Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Mallory Square
Mallory Square
11,963 Reviews
Key West, FL
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
2,752 Reviews
Key West, FL
The Gardens Hotel
The Gardens Hotel
1,878 Reviews
Key West, FL
Marquesa Hotel
Marquesa Hotel
1,076 Reviews
Key West, FL
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
766 Reviews
Key West, FL
The Southernmost Inn
The Southernmost Inn
1,080 Reviews
Key West, FL
Boston
Level Contributor
117 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a nice hotel for 25th wedding anniversary...

I would like to thank everyone for their ideas. Ocean Key seems to be a real favorite here. I looked at their website and the hotel seems very nice. The varying types of rooms are a little confusing. Is there anybody out there who could suggest a certain type of room, or maybe even a specific room? The more I think about it, I'm going to throw my price range out the window. You only get one 25th wedding anniversary I guess. So I want to go top shelf all the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
2,752 Reviews
Key West, FL
Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a nice hotel for 25th wedding anniversary...

PM Arnie67... he is an expert on Ocean Key and helped me with my room selection. He told me go with the OceanFront room on the 4th-5th floor for the best views.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
2,752 Reviews
Key West, FL