We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Party Boat Fishing

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Party Boat Fishing

I’ve been looking into a possible fishing excursion for a few of us for next March. We’re looking for something a little more laid back where the emphasis more about having a couple of beers at sea where fishing is just the excuse. We’re just looking for one of the larger boats that do the ½ day bottom fishing thing for like $50 pp or less. Are there any recommendations? I also have read that some restaurants will cook your catch for you. Does anyone know which ones?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,204 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Party Boat Fishing

This gets good reviews for a morning or afternoon fishing trip...

http://www.tortugacharters.com/

Most of the bars at the Bight will cook your catch for you.

Pjk

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Party Boat Fishing

I have always liked Capt Johns Greyhound and been going out with them since I was a little girl. They have been around for decades, lol. Anyway, the staff is always nice, boat and bathrooms are always clean and the Capt has no problem pulling up anchor and moving to another spot if nothing is biting.

Just a fun bit of trivia - the first Greyhound was Capt Tony's boat.

http://greyhound5.com/#

Half Shell Raw Bar and Alonzos Oyster Bar will cook your catch.

Edited: 30 November 2009, 19:29
Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Party Boat Fishing

The Tortuga IV as mentioned above is terrific. Go for the morning trip, you'll have fewer folk on board. Last year was $50 a person, think we found a $5 coupon, and we tip the hard working crew at least $20. Bring your own cooler or ice cold beer (and other beverages & snacks) available for purchase on board. Schooner Wharf cooked up our catch for us last year. What a lunch!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,204 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Party Boat Fishing

There's $2.00 off pp here but you've got to find the fine print towards the bottom...

www.greatlocations.com/coupontest.cfm…

Pjk

Ramsey N.j
Level Contributor
555 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Party Boat Fishing

All great tips above! We went out on the Gulfstream last February and plan on it again this Feb.as well as the Greyhound. I would suggest picking up some sandwiches at Fausto's and plan on taking a taxi to the marina-its a hike. Very laid back on board no problem drinking your own beers and having fun. We caught a bunch of fish and brought them to Schooners Wharf to cook up- great job. It's a beautiful boat ride out and in even if you didnt fish- so tropical! Its cool to go the day before to the marina either lunch time or late afternoon and see what they are catching when the boats come in and book a trip. They will give you coupons at the dock. It was a highlight of our trip and my girlfriend and I went out several times, It was so interesting seeing the differnt species of fish brought aboard.

Have a Blast!!!

Sean and Susan

MD
Level Contributor
822 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Party Boat Fishing

Thanks for these great suggestions - I'll be heading out with Jmass on this as well. I'm no fisherman for sure, but any excuse whatsoever I can find to get out on the open ocean is a good one in my book. This sounds like a lot of fun; very cool that you can take your catch to Alonzo's or SWB too - not that we wouldn't be heading there afterwards anyway, LOL!

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Party Boat Fishing

Thanks for all the tips folks. This is sounding more & more like a "must do". I am getting this visual of a handful of drunken amateurs staggering around various establishments with a bucket of fish in one hand and a beer in the other.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Party Boat Fishing

Its really a nice and rather inexpensive way to spend an afternoon on the water. The Greyhound will also split up the fish that people don't keep so everyone who wants fish goes home with a good amount. They will even clean it for you at the docks and bag it up. Make reservations and ask for a seat torwards the back of the boat (its where the chum is).

Moorestown, NJ
Level Contributor
12 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Party Boat Fishing

I had the same question about party boat fishing in Key West. After some research (looking for opinions in TripAdvisor and Yahoo) decided that Capt. John's Greyhound V was the best choice. We went on it back in November and can't wait to go back to the Keys just to fish on this boat again. Great captain and crew - and the partrons, most of them regulars were very nice also. Had a great day fishing and caught 6 different kinds of fish. Lots of places will cook your fish for you. Ask the mate and he will recommend some places. Do make sure you know how to find them in advance. My GPS did not have the address on it and I almost missed the boat.

Maryland
Level Contributor
395 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Party Boat Fishing

I have been on the Tortuga at Conch harbor and the Greyhound. The Greyhound is a bigger boat, nice crew. And the first mate if he is still there was awsome.

Tortuga, nice boat, clean, first mate was nice, funny, but just ok as far as doing his job. He didnt see to give a #% when we were running low on bait. Go on the Greyhound if you can.