We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Key West Trip Report 11/19 - 11/22

Mississippi
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Our Key West Trip Report 11/19 - 11/22

Thanks to everyone on TA who helped make this a memorable trip for my and my hubby. To start with, our accomodations at the Key West Bed and Breakfast (Popular House) were great. We loved the hospitality and the location of the B&B. Living in Mississippi, I've been to New Orleans numerous times. There have been threads about the similarities of the two and for me KW was like a smaller, cleaner, much safer, tropical NO with the bonus of a beautiful ocean setting. We loved it!!

Ok on to what we did...our first night we flew in about 5pm, so arrived just in time to make happy hour at Alonzo's. Key West Pinks, fish dip (gotta try to make that stuff) and Mojotos. After that we just walked around Duval, but the music at Hogs Breath drew us in. That turned out to be my favorite bar for music this weekend. Randy McAlister and the Massacoustics with help from some local guys were really great. Time sure did fly...got to bed around 2 am.

Friday - A little slow getting up and about. Got our rental car and went out to Fort Zachery. Hubby is a history buff, so he checked out the fort while I went to the beach. Beautiful November weather of about 90 degrees. That night we did a sunset dinner cruise on the DreamChaser. We felt pampered with great service, good food, drinks and a beautiful sunset that night. Ended up back at Hogs Beath for some more good music.

Saturday - Went to the Southernmost Point area and the Butterfly Museum. It was such a welcome change of pace that we made 2 laps. Ate our first cuban meal at El Siboney and loved the pork dish. Went to Jack Flatts that night to watch our football team. Good night...we won. Very accomodating folks. Finished off with drinks at Schooner Warf where they had a lady singing the blues. She was pretty hot.

Sunday - Yuck the weather turned and it was cloudy and rainy most of the day. We had planned to snorkle at Looe Key on our way up to Ft. Lauderale. I was really disappointed. Ended up making a stop at the Dolphin Research Center in Marathon instead and we actually got to witness the birth of a baby dolphin! It was a pretty amazing experience and I must say that I was really impressed with the facility, the dolphins and the staff at this place. Highly recommend a stop here. Went to the acclaimed Sparky's and WOW ... didn't know a fish sandwich could taste that good!

Everyone we met here was so nice, even the homeless guys trying to bum some $$$'s for beer were cool. All in all we had a great trip, just didn't have time to do everything we wanted, so you know what that means......

Cindy

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Key West Trip Report 11/19 - 11/22

What a wonderful report! The Massacoustics are great! I love listening to them. Very cool about the baby dolphin. What a treat.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,089 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Key West Trip Report 11/19 - 11/22

Thanks for the trip report!

Someone else mentioned in their trip report seeing the baby dolphin being born.

Sorry about missing out on the snorkeling, you'll have to do it on your next trip down. We'll work on the weather for ya.

The key to a good fish dip - a good smoked fish. we usually use King Mackerel around here, or any other mackerel, yellowjack, wahoo. You can use dolphin too, but the firmer and oilier fish work best.

Edited: 05 December 2009, 00:13
dayton, oh
Level Contributor
208 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Key West Trip Report 11/19 - 11/22

it means you need to schedule another trip!!!

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Key West Trip Report 11/19 - 11/22

Nice report, yes you need another trip.

PJ

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Key West Trip Report 11/19 - 11/22

Sounds like you had a great trip, and left some things to do for next time! Thanks for sharing.

Limey

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
551 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Key West Trip Report 11/19 - 11/22

Sounds like a fun trip, we're in KW now but heading home today, how fast island time goes by!!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Key West Trip Report 11/19 - 11/22

thanks for the trip report. hope you can stay longet on your next trip. you have only touch the tip of the iceberg,,,well, i mean the tip of the beach unbrella...

8. Re: Our Key West Trip Report 11/19 - 11/22

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2010, 05:18