We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking "local advise"

Maine
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Seeking "local advise"

We are heading out on a road trip to KW from Maine next week...packing a scarf and hitting the road...my request...we always try to find out the best and more local spots for food and drink rather than the usual suspects that tend to be so touristy...and reasonable places to stay...suggestions from people who live in the area and are willing to graciously impart some help and direction. Food, always, still noted for...(key lime pie? conch fritters? Margaritas?)...anything else we should particularly hope to try while there...I am perishing for SHRIMP and more shrimp...mmmm can't wait...any assist would be appreciated...as for places to stay...something nice but not touristy, not to break the bank...and no fussy B&B's...we are not making reservations, so we will be good to go and choose when we get there...thanks!

Key West Food Tours
Food Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
Eat Drink Discover Key West
Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,659 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking "local advise"

Good idea - Come down to a busy place, during the high season, and don't make any reservations.

Places to eat. Take 15 minutes and look at any of the past 10 threads for palces to eat.

North of Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking "local advise"

LOL... BG! You are going to get it again... lol

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking "local advise"

But BG is right.

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking "local advise"

Check out any of the hotels on N Roosevelt. Those will be cheaper and will be nothing like the B&B's in old town. Plus you'll have a better chance of finding a room without having a reservation during Key West's busiest season.

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking "local advise"

Its also Yacht Racing week next week. I bet most things in Old Town are booked and have been for months.

Edited: 13 January 2010, 21:15
North of Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking "local advise"

"But BG is right."

Yeah he is... but not everybody appreciates his delicate approach as much as you and I! lol

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking "local advise"

"Yeah he is... but not everybody appreciates his delicate approach as much as you and I! lol"

Yep, and thats why I nominated him King Expert of the Florida Keys, lol. We all must bow to him.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,169 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking "local advise"

The best margerita maker is in the heart of touristy central - the tiki bar at the sunset pier at the Ocean Key Resort, 1 Duval Street. The least expensive are at Kelly's on the corner of Whitehead and Caroline - $3.50 during happy hour starting at 4:00 or 4:30.

Pjk

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,169 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking "local advise"

Sorry - I can'r see the original Q when I reply.

Alonzo's oyster bar during happy hour. Half-priced drinks and appitizers. They have three types of peel-your-own shrimp; regular, beer steamed, and BBQ IIRC. But look at the spicey steamers, too. And there are .50 oysters at the Half Shell Raw Bar. Both of these are at the Key West Bight (Historic Walk) within about 100 yards of each other.

Pjk

Maine
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking "local advise"

Sigh...yes...there is always one on every forum...anyway, thanks for your gracious and helpful comment, Flatop!

Get answers to your questions about Key West