We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report from a Senior Citizen 1/19-1/22

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cold spot
Level Contributor
41 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report from a Senior Citizen 1/19-1/22

Always wanted to see Key West- its old homes are beautiful- we stayed at the Best Western Pink Hibiscus. First of all- the rooms are big, very clean. Absolutely no bed bugs as some nut reported earlier. The pool is heated and its in a convenient location. The breakfast is nothing special, but the juice and coffee are fine.

We did mostly houses- Hemingways, The Truman winter White House, The Eco-Center. Interesting and worth it. We never took the tram tours, preferring our own pace. We walked all over and found a lovely state park at the Fort. Take a picnic, a book, your sunscreen and enjoy. If you prefer there is a organized walking tour for a fee. Generally these are great.

We ate the requisite cheesburger with a margarita at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. Two finds were El Siboney on Catherine St- (go for #7-the skirt steak cuban style). The restaurant was loaded with locals, excellent food, modest costs. We ate there two evenings. The Abundanza restaurant served a mean lasagna at a reasonable cost too. Go to B.O.s Fish Shack for a fun lunch.

We traveled from Miami Beach via 1 going but returned by taking the FL turnpike from FLorida City- although a toll road, much less hectic than 95 #to 1#. We recommend it- it took us 3.5 hours to return to Fort Lauderdale to fly out. On our way there we picked up picnic stuff from a Marathon Publix and stopped at the Bai Hondo state park. You can swim there. Three days was about long enough since we were primarily sight-seeing. Happy travels. Coop

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report from a Senior Citizen 1/19-1/22

I agree, the Turnpike is definitely the way to go. El Siboney is one of our favorites. I have to admit, we've never eaten at Margaritaville in Key West, but have been to the one in Orlando several times, as well as in Grand Turk and Jamaica.

Thanks for posting your trip report!

St. Louis
Level Contributor
923 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report from a Senior Citizen 1/19-1/22

Ahhh, but you know you want to come back....

Virginia
Level Contributor
217 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report from a Senior Citizen 1/19-1/22

Thanks - our trip is less than a month away and your report will keep me going until then.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report from a Senior Citizen 1/19-1/22

Thanks for taking the time to post! You hit many of our favorites though I admit, I too, have never been to the margataville in Key West.

Ramsey N.j
Level Contributor
555 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report from a Senior Citizen 1/19-1/22

Thanks so much for giving us a trip report. We look forward to reading them because we will be there the following week. We love to hear about the great times people had.

Sean and Susan

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report from a Senior Citizen 1/19-1/22

THANKS for the trip report...always apprciated!!!

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,585 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report from a Senior Citizen 1/19-1/22

Nice report. Bahia Honda is one of the nicest spots in The Keys. Glad you found it!

Niskayuna, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report from a Senior Citizen 1/19-1/22

Thanks for the trip report. My wife and I will be staying at the Best Western Hibiscus and I'm glad to hear it was clean. Cleanliness of where we stay is my wife and my buggest concern. I appreciate the advice on the restaurants too.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report from a Senior Citizen 1/19-1/22

Sounds like a good time. Thanks for sharing.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report from a Senior Citizen 1/19-1/22

Appreciate your thoughts. Our first Key West meal (nearly 10 years ago) was also at Margaritaville. It's like a requirement. Fortunately, that was also our last meal there. Glad you found so many places to enjoy.