We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My KW guest house review got rejected. Too hot for TA?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
My KW guest house review got rejected. Too hot for TA?

Hey everyone, I'm just curious if anyone has run into this problem. I wrote a review for Alexander's Guest House (a property aimed at the primarily gay and lesbian crowd) and after many days, TripAdvisor finally got back to me saying that it was not family friendly enough for the site. I didn't use profanity, I certainly didn't threaten anyone or make any derogatory remarks about groups of people. Actually, I loved Alexander's and sung its praises. I titled it "you'll have a gay old time". I also described the scene so that other gay and lesbian travelers might better understand what to expect. Specifically, I said this isn't the type of place where you swim naked and talk loud all night by the pool...and that if you were looking for that, go to its neighbor across the street where you'll find plenty of naked people by the pool and more frisky behavior. Those are, essentially, the words I used. I'm kind of appalled the site would reject that type of review. I have relied on this site as a place to get the "real deal" on properties and I was attempting to provide that service to other travelers. I'm a bit stupefied that my efforts were rejected. What do you all think?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My KW guest house review got rejected. Too hot for TA?

Without reading the review, it's hard to tell. I've been baffled in the past as well. I reviewed a lodging on Boracay, Philippines a few months ago, it got posted for a few days, then was taken down as inappropriate. I was generally very complimentary to the property, but also reported some negatives. I suspect that sometimes properties complain to TA, which is owned by Expedia, and have wondered if some of this is a business decision.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My KW guest house review got rejected. Too hot for TA?

Who knows. Could have been the title or the reference to the other guest house

I have had TA request that I rewrite a review, actually break it into several separate reviews. I chose not to and asked for it to be published as written. It turned out to be a review that received many "helpful" votes. Go figure.

Why not try again and leave out the word naked. :) I personally find user reviews to be very helpful and look forward to reading them. As a DE, I can't stay everywhere but I do like to be informed about accommodations of every type so that I can pass on information to others seeking advice.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
652 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My KW guest house review got rejected. Too hot for TA?

We picked Alexanders mostly based upon the reviews and many of them sounded like yours. I am disappointed they would deem your post 'not family friendly enough' for the forum. I'v'e seen discussions about Marreros that might not be 'family friendly.' I think families would want information about places that might not be right for them, be it Alexanders or Marreros.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My KW guest house review got rejected. Too hot for TA?

Did you get an email that you can reply back to? I was once asked by TA to rewrite something, and I wrote back asking why. They replied back; It ended up mostly being one word that they objected to. I just reworded that sentence, basically meaning the same thing and re-sent the review. It was then accepted.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My KW guest house review got rejected. Too hot for TA?

You know, I was going to do that and then got kind of frustrated about the whole thing and didn't reply. But your advice and experience makes me reconsider. I'll try sending again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My KW guest house review got rejected. Too hot for TA?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Interesting to hear your takes on this. I love this site and it's helped me so many times. This is the first time I've had a negative experience.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My KW guest house review got rejected. Too hot for TA?

many times I feel that TA might be using a bot to filter the reviews and if you use too many "hot" words it will ask for a rewrite. Try sticking to clinical words. You know how the kids have turned the word "gay" into a negative? Maybe that's what it thought???

And when you see folks unclothes it's "not "naked" it's "nude"!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: My KW guest house review got rejected. Too hot for TA?

Great. Just what TA needs... A homophobic bot. :-)

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My KW guest house review got rejected. Too hot for TA?

More data to back up my belief that the TA reviews are not worth much...

The Santa Maria Suites and Parrot Key are now the number one and two hotels in Key West! I rest my case.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My KW guest house review got rejected. Too hot for TA?

"The Santa Maria Suites and Parrot Key are now the number one and two hotels in Key West! I rest my case."

Thats just sad. Two places built as condos that failed and now they are #1 and 2 for places to stay. Sounds fishy.