We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parrot Key or The Reach Resort

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Parrot Key or The Reach Resort

I think I have narrowed down these two hotels for 2 nights in Key West. We won't have a car, and would prefer to be able to walk to Mallory Square and the bar area but are willing to take cabs also. We stayed at the Southernmost Resort and did a lot of walking. Looks like the Reach is close to that. How far is Parrot Key? Has anyone been to both and have a preference? Thanks.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parrot Key or The Reach Resort

If you thought that the walk to Mallory Square was a long walk from the Southern Most, just wait until you try and walk from Parrot Key.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Parrot Key or The Reach Resort

You do NOT want to be at Parrot Key if you're planning on walking anywhere. It's on Roosevelt Blvd. and near nothing but fast food joints and strip malls.

The Reach is on the Atlantic side of the island, and though you'll do a lot of walking, it is within walking range.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,130 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parrot Key or The Reach Resort

The odd thing about Key West is that if you walk from the Reach to the sunset celebration down, say, Whitehead, it will take 20 - 25 minutes, not counting how long you spend at the Grenn Parrot. Going back, later at night, generally takes much longer. Curious.

Pjk

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parrot Key or The Reach Resort

If you stay at the Parrot Key you will have to take a taxi every time you want to go to Old Town.

If you want to stay near all the action try looking at the Pier House or the Ocean key Resort.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parrot Key or The Reach Resort

The Reach is next to Southernmost on the Beach so it would be about the same as walking from The Southernmost.

As the others said, Parrot Key will require transportation to old town.

Edited: 16 February 2010, 19:46
mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parrot Key or The Reach Resort

I stayed at the Reach, and everything is in walking distance. Parrot Key looks nice but...... the location. Heres a tip when walking from the Reach stroll down a different street everytime you venture out pretty cool way to see the island!! ENJOY your trip!!!

Syracuse, NY
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Parrot Key or The Reach Resort

I have not stayed at the Parrot Key but I did stay at the Reach and we loved it. It has a beautiful natural beach on the Atlantic and the jet ski tour was so much fun. My room was pretty spacious and the balcony was fantastic. It is also close to the Southernmost point marker and just like the person before me said, if you walk down different streets you really get to see the island and the beautiful buildings and homes. Enjoy your Key West vacation - we did!

8. Re: Parrot Key or The Reach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 06:17