We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 2/20-2/27

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
489 posts
253 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 2/20-2/27

Our second time in KW and it seems we will never get tired of the place! Prior to this trip, we discussed going to Vegas next year instead of KW, but on the plane home we agreed.... its KW next February! We landed on a beautiful, sunny 72 degree Saturday! Once we grabbed our bag, we headed to the National Car Rental on their shuttle. Great service to/from the airport. Off to Hogfish for lobster tacos (yummy!) while sitting outside enjoying the sun and watching the boats come and go! Then, off to Smathers Beach for a nice stroll on a beautiful day. Groceries at Publix and off to the rental office for our keys. We stayed in a Shipyard condo (our first time) and loved it! Location can't be beat and the pool and Ft. Zack a nice stroll! We spent our first Happy Hour at Kelly's (which is now our favorite) with $3 margaritas ($4 for key lime margaritas) and off to the sunset at Mallory Square. Never disappoints, even if the clouds cut off the show! New places we tried during the week (besides Hogfish): Drag Queen Bingo on Sunday at 801 (I went solo and had a terrific time! Lots of laughs and fun and all proceeds to charity - can't beat it!); Alonzo's for Happy Hour and dinner (both good); Santiago's Bodega (very, very good sangria!); Pepe's for dinner (a bit pricey, in my opinion, but my BF enjoyed his steak very much); Green Parrot for happy hour (close to our KW "home") and fun. Also, we took the sunset sail on the Schooner Halie & Matthew and had a blast! Very nice sail (neither of us got sick, which is a bonus!). The crew could not have been nicer and the views and photos we got were spectacular! Would do that again in a heartbeat! We took a drive up to Bahia Honda on a rain day and tried to get into the No Name Pub, but apparently its pretty popular, despite the fact that we needed the GPS to find the place! Other favorites we hit were: Schooner Wharf (any time of day we love it); Two Friends for breakfast (always delicious and friendly service!); Conch Republic for a few HH drinks (sorry we missed the CTH yet again!). Even with a few rain days, we still had a blast and will be scheduling our visit for next year again very soon!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,513 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 2/20-2/27

I'm glad you had a good time and found a bunch more places to test out. And that you enjoyed the Halie & Matthew and mentioned them here as I think they are still getting settled and need some good opinions.

They are here http://www.calypsosailing.com/

Pjk

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 2/20-2/27

Interesting report - had not heard of that sail before. you went against the grain by renting a car; did you find it a good idea in the big picture? finally, how do you just "miss" CTH? come on, full disclosure.

Edited: 01 March 2010, 15:57
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
489 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - 2/20-2/27

We did go against the grain in renting the car, but only for a few days. We needed to pick up our keys at the office at Sunrise Suites (condo at the Shipyard) and get some groceries. Also, we drove down to KW last year and were in such a rush, we didn't stop along the way, so we wanted to see Bahia Honda and go to No Name Pub. It was nice to have the car, too, to get to Hogfish and to Smather's Beach. We did talk about next year, and we are going to skip the car rental. Apparently, beside scooter rentals, they have motorcycle rentals. My BF has his cycle license and since we will have a parking spot at the Shipyard, no car necessary! Missed the CTH because we booked the sail on the Halie & Matthew at the last minute on Friday, so we missed out! Next year, third time will be the charm and we will get to the CTH!

Ramsey N.j
Level Contributor
566 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - 2/20-2/27

Thanks so much for posting your trip report. Seems like a couple people who were writing in and asking questions awhile back still need to give a quick report. It really helps us out when planning our trips. We always pick up a few good tips when reading fun trip reports like yours!

Sean and Susan

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - 2/20-2/27

THANKS for the great trip report,,,love hearing about people trying new places. it is amazing how many yeats you will be able to write about trying new stuff there!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - 2/20-2/27

Thanks for the report. I enjoyed reading it.

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - 2/20-2/27

Nice trip report - looks like you've caught Keys Disease!

Tough to make it back to the Shipyard without stopping in the Parrot for a quick one...or eight on the way home isn't it? Just sucks you in!

Cape May NJ
Level Contributor
184 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - 2/20-2/27

Great report, we will be in KW in 20 days. Yahooooo. I have been trying to decide where to eat our first nite since we will only have a car the first night. You helped me make up my mind with the Lobster tacos. Hogfish it is. THANK YOU

The Frozen North...
Level Contributor
409 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - 2/20-2/27

"Schooner Wharf (any time of day we love it)"

Truer words have never been spoken.

Sagamore Beach.MA
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - 2/20-2/27

Thanks for the trip report, I will be heading down in 8 weeks,My first time! needless to say I cant wait!. I decided to fly into miami and rent a car for the week because its my first time, I wanted to make the drive and take in the whole key's experience...thanks again