We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Fort lauderdale to key west

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from Fort lauderdale to key west

We drive from fort lauderdale to key west on oct 7th which is the most best route with most to see

thank you

Ps we are from england and I have drove down once before from orlando and used the turnpike and US1 but I feel a lot more confident

Thanks again Ian

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Fort lauderdale to key west

Well you ask a question that has 2 different answers.

1) The most best route with the most to see is to get on US 1 in FLL and take 15 hours to get to the keys.

2) Take 595 W to the expressway, take the expressway to Florida City where you'll hit US 1 in about an hour.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Fort lauderdale to key west

I'd take option 2 any day! Seriously, get on the turnpike as soon as possible and don't get off until it dead ends in Florida city. Then its one road, no options except that you can take Card Sound Road and take a break at Alabama Jack's for a cold one, $1 toll.

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Fort lauderdale to key west

BG,,,YOU ARE NUTS...i tool US1 from Fll to KW....and it only took me 10 1/2 hours!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from Fort lauderdale to key west

I am sure he didn't mean it actually took 15 hours... it just FELT like it!

Unless you need to see what a fireworks store looks like, there's no need to take the 1 around Miami.

Stick to the Turnpike.

How many dollar bills will we need for the tolls?

Gerrish Island...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from Fort lauderdale to key west

I went through at rush hour once...it CAN take 15 hours.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,338 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from Fort lauderdale to key west

turnpike to the Keys.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,962 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route from Fort lauderdale to key west

Yes, Turnpike, definitely- no question about it! You'll have plenty of sightseeing available after the Turnpike dumps you out on to Rt. 1 in Florida City. The main objective is to get through the Miami traffic as painlessly as possible- and that is to take the Turnpike- well worth the tolls ( $4 from Ft. Lauderdale to Florida City if I recall.) If you are using a rental car be sure to clarify when you pick it up if it has a Sunpass transponder installed for automatically paying the tolls- some who didn't know have paid the tolls in cash themselves and returned home to find that the rental company automatically paid them by Sunpass and charged them to their credit card bill- so you don't want to pay twice. Many of the rental companies now use this system.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route from Fort lauderdale to key west

Most best route with most to see = US 1 all the way.

I'll stick to that statement forever.

Best route to the keys = Expressway.

I'll stick with that statement forever as well.

Ramrod Key, Florida
Level Contributor
386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route from Fort lauderdale to key west

The tolls on the turnpike come approixmately every 10 miles in the area south of Palm Beach. They have updated the turnpike in many areas so the transponders now allow you to continue at speed without passing through the tollbooth area which makes a sunpass for a regular user a very useful tool. You also get a 25 cent discount.

The toll booth operators will change 20 dollar bills so don't stress about carrying small bills. If you want to speed the transaction get $1.25 ready for each toll. The card Sound toll is not part of the sunpass system and they too will change a 20 for the dollar toll.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route from Fort lauderdale to key west

Conchscooter. Are you sure about the cost being $1.25 per toll?

I took a look at the Sunpass site and got the cost for the tolls at $4.00, $3,00 for using the sunpass.

There's 4 tolls booths along the way, so I'd say that it's $1.00 per toll.