We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Louie's Backyard ???

Ohio
Level Contributor
123 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Louie's Backyard ???

We will be in Key West at the end of the month and staying at the Reach. Louie's Backyard looks intriguing albeit pricey, which is not really our style.

Would lunch be a better pick, and does the afterdeck bar serve food?

We love to eat great food, but don't want to buy a share of the restaurant.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,735 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Louie's Backyard ???

Louie's also had an upstairs restaurant with small plates and wine. It is very reasonable. I would only go to the main restaurant for lunch these days, but I love the upstairs in the evening. You might also want to walk a few blocks more past the Casa Marina to Higgs Beach and try Salute. It is a nice open place on the beach with mid priced, good food.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Louie's Backyard ???

the afterdeck is a terrific place to have a drink, either to catch some sun or relax later in the evening.It's a locals bar with a lot of history. I'm with SDT, I don't feel their food is worth the price. There are so many more restaurants with better food and service IMO. I have heard good things about the tapas menu upstairs thou haven't been yet.

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Louie's Backyard ???

Louie"s is cool to grab a drink. The Reach has an awesome pier on the water that offers up some great views(that would rival Louie's). Grab a lunch or dinner to go and take it to the pier and enjoy. MY wife and I did this and had a very memorable evening. Enjoy your stay!!!

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Louie's Backyard ???

the upstairs opens at four and is very nice; especially if you can get a table on the balcony and you like wine. the sunday brunch i find very enjoyable. the afterdeck is the hub and just a beautiful enviornment. i like their mojitos a lot and the bartenders are fun. meet some local fishing boat captains there last time. always lively conversation. the snapper sandwich at the afterdeck bar was fresh and very good. they also had fresh fish tacos the last time i was there. excellent. oh, and they sell the most comfortable baseball caps imaginable.

…flickr.com/4046/4261090929_92bd1f6a4a.jpg

…flickr.com/4052/4261844086_f5ea27bae5.jpg

…flickr.com/2689/4261843754_378cfafd0b.jpg

Edited: 05 April 2010, 18:51
arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Louie's Backyard ???

I love Louie's, but we only go for lunch. Same good food but less expensive.

Some people complain about snooty service, but in 20 years, we've only had one bad experience - and it was with a rude man who tried to seat us at an awful table when the place was virtually empty. When we simply refused to sit there, he huffed off. We've never had bad service there.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,005 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Louie's Backyard ???

I agree, enjoy it for a drink. And, another vote for Salute.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Louie's Backyard ???

Louie's is one of my favorit restaurants to have a "special" meal like a birthday or the such.

With that said, if you are at the Reach you can take in the views any time you want.

I would go to Louie's after dinner to enjoy a drink out on the deck.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Louie's Backyard ???

I love the Afterdeck for a drink and during the day I have had lunch at the bar. I agree its a good pick for lunch but I would pass on it for dinner.

Ramrod Key, Florida
Level Contributor
386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Louie's Backyard ???

I was at a fund raiser at Louies today and my wife knocked my empty wine glass out of my hand (a Freudian slip no doubt) and the peons were real nice about the clean up. The manager was a witch and treated me like an errant 50 year old schoolboy. I have better places to spend my money, view or no view, and the view was pleasant enough.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Louie's Backyard ???

I do not like Louie's, except for the afterdeck. The management reminds me of Fawlty Towers, is obnoxiously snooty towards tourists, and acts like they are doing you a favor by allowing you to dine there. There are too many very good restaurants, with great service and attitude, to be subjected to this sort of service.