We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Eagle Airlines - Yikes!

Independence...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
American Eagle Airlines - Yikes!

I just read that AA Eagle is at the bottom of the airline list for service. We are flying out of Cincinnati to Miami to Key West with just a little over an hour layover. Any experience to share? I'm a little nervous about about being bumped or missing the connection.

Key West Catamaran Sailing and Water...
72 reviews
from US$145.00*
Dry Tortugas National Park Day Trip...
44 reviews
from US$178.99*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
59 reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
378 reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Eagle Airlines - Yikes!

The bottom 3 airlines are all feeders for the major airlines, and they tend to have a bad on time record, as well as limited service.

AE, Comair and Atlantic Southeast (both Delta Connection carriers) all basically suck when it comes to service and on time performance.

Don't worry, you aren't going to get bumped, and odds are that your connecting flight in MIA will be late.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Eagle Airlines - Yikes!

It will be fine. The bigger the airline, the more people they have to deal with, and the more issues that will come from it. Never mind the fact that the more flights an airline has, the more things that can go wrong as well.

One thing you can't count on is weather. Weather can disrupt any of the more frequently used airlines. Last trip to KW, we got delayed leaving Maine for weather issues. We sat there waiting for 30 minutes and this was a depart time at 6am. By the time we landed in Atlanta, our connecting flight was missing (some employees said it left, others said it never arrived at the gate (?!?!)). The airline hooked us up with AA and we took an American Eagle into EYW. There wasn't a problem at all. This time we are going AA from start to finish.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
586 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Eagle Airlines - Yikes!

We flew AA to Miami then AE into Key West with not a hint of trouble. Flying out of KW we had a delay with AE but we managed to arrive in Miami with enough time to run thru the bathroom and make it onto our AA flight back to Dallas. We did have a good bit of stress about making our Miami connection though and I didn't appreciate spending extra time in the KW airport, I'd rather have spent that time elsewhere in KW!

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Eagle Airlines - Yikes!

as said before, I do it monthly. You wont get bumped. Just get there in time. Sometimes they leave early but I I have also been delayed multiple times but very rarely major issues or a long delay. .

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Eagle Airlines - Yikes!

I've never liked AA/Eagle. Hate that we had to go through Miami to get anywhere in the Caribbean. They also screwed us over on our FF miles to boot.

I broke down and booked them for a trip to Cancun. We were delayed 2 hours in Dallas due to "mechanical issues". On the way back our plane was completely taken out of service. Had to wait 4 hours to get on a Continental flight so we could get home.

Nope, won't ever fly AA again. We are using our FF miles on Continental for our Key West trip in July.

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Eagle Airlines - Yikes!

We've flown AA Eagle from PHL to EYW through MIA the last six trips down and we've never had an issue. We prefer an hour layover in MIA "just in case". However, we typically fly in Jan or Feb, and we're the 1st flight out of PHL (plane has overnighted there), and we take off from MIA around 9:40 am to EYW. We try and cut out as many intangibles as possible such as delays/cancellations on our 1st flight, and by flying early in the morning since delays snowball throughout the day. Less chance of the afternoon thunderstorms as well.

We take our chances with late afternoon flights out of EYW. I'd rather be stuck there trying to leave than being aggrevated even before vacation starts.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Eagle Airlines - Yikes!

I'll take AA Eagle over Cafe Fear, any day.

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Eagle Airlines - Yikes!

Never had a problem with AA so far.... knock on wood.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
923 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Eagle Airlines - Yikes!

I just got back from a week down there via American, thru Miami. Get to the lower level Key West departure gates as quickly as you can when you arrive in Miami as it gets really crowded in that area with flights leaving for various Caribbean destinations. You will board a shuttle bus that will take you to the aircraft. AA uses turbo props to the rock and you will board at the rear of the aircraft. Carryon space is really tight; less so than those regional jets so be prepared to gate check any carryon's and they will give those items back to you once you deplane in KW.

AA does as good a job as anybody else so don't sweat it.

New Hyde Park, New...
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Eagle Airlines - Yikes!

I stopped checking luggage with them because 80 % of the time it got lost or delayed

Get answers to your questions about Key West