We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dry Tortugas-Day Trips-No alcohol?

Providence Forge...
Level Contributor
421 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Dry Tortugas-Day Trips-No alcohol?

Most of the day trips, Yankee, Fast Cat, etc. do not offer any alcohol. Do you bring your own? Do they allow you to?

Want to schedule a day trip closer to the time we get there in 3 weeks.

Thanks!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dry Tortugas-Day Trips-No alcohol?

Alcohol is not permitted at Dry Tortugas National Park.

The Yankee Freedom does have a reasonably priced cash bar on the ride back, once the boat departs the island.

Edited: 24 April 2010, 19:53
Lower Keys, Florida
Level Contributor
121 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dry Tortugas-Day Trips-No alcohol?

Alcohol is allowed. Glass is not.

I usually take my own cooler for the day...you can pick one up pretty cheaply in Key West or pack a collapsible one. Don't get the styrofoam ones though...besides being an eco-enemy they also bust open easily. You can always leave the cooler at your guesthouse when you leave.

I also like to bring a raft for lounging. Blow it up once out there and if there are campers they will welcome it upon your departure!

Remember you must take with you anything you bring out. No trash left behind.

simkeith - perhaps you are confusing National Park rules with State ones. No alcohol at Ft. Zach but no rule against it at Dry Tortugas.

It's an amazing trip...have fun!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dry Tortugas-Day Trips-No alcohol?

I'm putting this here because I think it's true. (How's that?) If you have your own kayak or rent one from, say, Lazy Dog, the Yankee Freedom will take it out to the Tortugas with you. (Charge? No charge? donno) Anyway, some day if this is true, I'd like to take one out there and kayak around the area instead of snorkeling. It would be beautiful.

Pjk

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dry Tortugas-Day Trips-No alcohol?

I would imagine they charge a fee for that. The boats that run to Avalon over here in Long Beach do.

Couldn't tell and nothing is in the FAQ page:

http://www.yankeefreedom.com/

But once they are the only boat going there I doubt they'll have the room so inquire soon.

BTW, if you have a fishing license they say that you can fish from land there. I've seen the size of the fish right alongside the wall and they get HUGE!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dry Tortugas-Day Trips-No alcohol?

I saw a number of kayaks loaded one morning before the YF took off and that's why I think they do this. I'm going to wander down there in May and find out.

Pjk

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dry Tortugas-Day Trips-No alcohol?

They do take out camping equipment, so I'm guessing that a kayak would be included. If you want to take a kayak for a day trip, just call up the YF and ask.

Seaside
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dry Tortugas-Day Trips-No alcohol?

We had no problem on the fast cat. Took a mega bottle of Sky, and they gave us all the mixers we wanted.

Ramrod Key, Florida
Level Contributor
386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dry Tortugas-Day Trips-No alcohol?

Camping at the Tortugas is an outstanding time. Reservations have to be made as the boats only reserve 6 spaces for campers on each ride out. It is wilkderness camping in the purest sense as there is no water or anything to buy (except inedible trinkets at the air conditioned gift shop). Camping costs $3 per person per night like any other National Park.

Some campers take kayaks though I don't know if day trippers can do the same. Campers get 40 pounds of luggage each plus water. We take 5 gallons per day and use it in solar showers as i hate sleeping in salt water covered skin.

I could go on at some great length about camping at the Fort it's that good.

…blogspot.com/2009/05/fort-jefferson-camping…

or for a reality check

…blogspot.com/2009/11/very-wet-tortugas.html

9. Re: Dry Tortugas-Day Trips-No alcohol?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 05:15