We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

controversy anyone? watches and key west.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
controversy anyone? watches and key west.

i do not understand this strange affiliation with removing a watch when in key west. a watch is an inanimate object that you either allow to rule you or you do not. if you have to take it off to free yourself from it, then you have a problem. symbolically i guess it has some resonance, but logically if is ridiculous. does your cell phone have a clock on it? dumping it too? do bars have clocks in them? want them covered with a black cloth? got a time your parasail leaves - checking your internal sundial on that one? i love my watch and would never go anywhere without it. it does not hamper me - it tells me when closing hour may be approaching and how fast i need to order my last drink. i just don't get it. a key west mythical enchantment.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: controversy anyone? watches and key west.

keno's sandals would be my second myth buster topic. why not just strap some boards on your feet? :)

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: controversy anyone? watches and key west.

The wearing of a watch is a surefire way to ruin a good tan.

Besides, all cell phones have clocks in them.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: controversy anyone? watches and key west.

Kinos are crap, IMHO. I don't understand the attraction to them, They are just cheap sandels. I'm sure Phillygirl will make me pay for that crack. LOL

As for a watch, I wear one but do not look at it much in Key West. I'm just not too concerned about time when I'm there.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: controversy anyone? watches and key west.

"Kinos are crap, IMHO. I don't understand the attraction to them, They are just cheap sandels."

A-MEN! People can dump on my stilettos all they want, but I'm sure as heck never buying myself a pair of those awful things!

My lack of watch has no affiliation with KW...the battery died in Manhattan during St. Patrick's Day 2008 and I just haven't gotten around to getting a new battery at the jeweler, lol.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: controversy anyone? watches and key west.

I don't care about the watch thing one way or another but my kids love their Kinos! :)

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,546 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: controversy anyone? watches and key west.

Who cares if someone wears a watch or not in Key West? I like to know when Happy Hour is about to start, but other than that, I don't really care what time it is. ;)

If you haven't worn a pair of Kino's, you'll never know their comfort. They sure don't look like much, but put them on and they turn into magical fluffy clouds. If you have worn them and don't care for them, I'll respect your opinion. Otherwise, it's all meaningless to me. lol

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,491 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: controversy anyone? watches and key west.

My Kino's are super comfy.

Don't own a watch, don't understand why people do. They are silly.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: controversy anyone? watches and key west.

I wear a watch and Kino's, in Key West and also at home, where ever I roam, and I like them both very much, thank you.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: controversy anyone? watches and key west.

Watches can kill a good time! I spend every day by the clock, what time to get up, what time to leave for work, what time the phones switch over, what time everyone goes to lunch, what time I can take a break, what time the phones switch over, what time I get to leave and go home, what time I need to go to bed to get a good night sleep and be productive the next day.

The last thing I want to do is keep track of time in KW. I do it enough during my every day life, why do I need my vacation to be that structured?! I am there to relax. If I miss a happy hour, so be it...there is always tomorrow.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: controversy anyone? watches and key west.

I haven't worn a watch in over 20 years. It dawned on me I could survive life without knowing what time it was on demand. Not that I am ever a glance away from a clock.