We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 May to 7 May Trip Report

Connecticut
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
1 May to 7 May Trip Report

I have to say that this was one of the best vacations that I've had in a long time. For anyone thinking of coming down here there is something here for everyone. Since this was our first time here we didn’t want to keep a schedule of thing we had to do, only things we wanted to do. So here goes.

We flew into Fort Lauderdale and rented a car at Budget. Both we found online after doing a little bit of searching. We were given one of those electric Toyota Pries and for the total trip only spent about $23 on gas.

The first stop was at Islamorada Fish Co. My wife had a grilled lobster salad and I had plate of large Stone Crab claws. This place really set the mood for the whole trip. Set in a tike hut overlooking the clearest bluest water I've seen in a long time. They had some steel drum music playing that really put us in the relaxed mode.

After that it was a quick stop about a mile down the road at Robbie's to feed the Tarpon. When we got there the dock already had quite a few people with buckets of fish feeding the Tarpon. What a trip it was to watch a 150 lbs. fish snatch fish out of people's hands that look like they would have trouble feeding gold fish.

The last stop was our hotel. We stayed at the Lamar and Dewey house at the "quiet" end of Duval Street. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the beach. That night we took our first walk to the Sunset Celebration at the other end of Duval Street. Took some great sunset pictures, had a couple drinks at the Harbor view cafe and watched some of the funniest performers at Mallory Square. I think the guy with the dog wearing the shorts was the best.

We rented a bike at the hotel the next day to get out and see more of the island and by the end of the day we traded it in for a scooter. 90 degree temps took its toll. Plus I felt better riding in traffic then alongside the street or sidewalk. One tip on scooters: make sure you park in spaces marked motorcycle or scooters. They do ticket you if you park outside those areas.

We did a tour of Mel Fishers and Ernest Hemmingway’s house. The guide at Hemmingway's house was full of fun facts and funny stories. And I have to ask, how many of you have thought about how to remove that gold bar from that case???

We did two day trips. One was a half day evening cruise with Danger tours. It was a combination snorkel/kayak/sunset cruise. The crew was great and really knowledgeable about the history of the area and the wildlife both above and below the water. The other trip was to the Dry Tortugas. We took the Sunny Day’s Fast Cat as the Yankee Freedom was full. The trip is about two hours one way but well worth it. The snorkeling was great for both experienced and non-experienced snorkelers. One major tip for anyone thinking of doing any type of snorkeling, wear a shirt in the water. I brought home a nice souvenir sunburn.

Although there are countless places to eat we had dinner at the Southernmost hotel a couple nights since we were so tired from the day. We did have dinner at the A&B Lobster house one night. For those that don’t know, A&B is a “slight” step up from most places in the area to eat so my wife felt a little uncomfortable wearing her pirate themed sneakers.

Most of the bars were fun. Willie T’s had probably the best music (at least music we liked). Sloppy Joe’s had great what else, sloppy joe’s. Hog’s Breath was kind of packed so we didn’t stay long.

For those that don’t drink, “People Watching” those that do drink is a blast. It’s best to keep an open mind because Key West has it all. People of every shape and size wear everything and anything. Some of the best dressed people are the drag queens in the center of Duval Street, well maybe not. And just when you think it would quiet down a bit, the guy with the three wheeled bike and about a zillion lights and mega sound system would drive by and make us laugh some more.

And lastly for those worrying about the weather, don’t. I watched the weather channel and it was suppose to have T storms the last two day we were there only to find out the report comes out of Miami. We had nothing but sun the whole time.

This is going to be our “yearly” or more vacation spot. There is a lot more to see and do but this was just enough for us. The only down side is that this trip went by so dam fast.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 May to 7 May Trip Report

So glad you had a good trip! Sounds like we have another case of Keys Disease here! I agree that trips to KW always pass too quickly. :)

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 May to 7 May Trip Report

ahhhhh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

(said in a sing song voice) someone has the keys disease, someone has the keys disease.

Nice trip report. You get KW. Thanks for taking time to write one.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 May to 7 May Trip Report

Buffetguy you're right. Stone crab cold with mustard is the way to go.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 May to 7 May Trip Report

Well if you're gonna start believing me, then I'll give you some better spots than IMC to eat in islamorada. NOT a better tiki hut or view - THAT is really good there - but for food, stick with me.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
335 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 May to 7 May Trip Report

Great report! So happy to hear you loved your trip so much. I'm going next month and can't wait! Reading everyone's trip reports makes me more excited and gives me lots of good ideas on what to do.

Thank you!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 May to 7 May Trip Report

I love the guy with the disco lighted 3 wheel bike!! I have some great pictures with him last year. When we arrived he had regular decor on it and a few days later his bike was tricked out with a Christmas tree. That is an expression of one of the best things about KW to me!

columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 May to 7 May Trip Report

That read like one fantastic first visit to Key West. You really experienced a lot of what Key West has to offer. With a trip like that no wonder you want to return. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Mishawaka, IN
Level Contributor
175 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 May to 7 May Trip Report

Curious about your "wife's pirate themed sneakers". Argh!

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,495 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 May to 7 May Trip Report

Great report. The guy on the bike is Mr. Chapman. His family even has a street named after them. It is featured on conchscooter's blog:

http://conchscooter.blogspot.com/search?q=chapman+lane

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 May to 7 May Trip Report

Wonderful report, glad you had a good time!