We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

key west in September??

New York City
Level Contributor
151 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
key west in September??

Any tips on travel to Key West in Sept.? Thinking of flying to Miami then driving down the Keys to Key West. Need info on hotels close to beach,weather,anything you think might help...thanks

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,812 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: key west in September??

This is the Florida Keys newsletter for part of spetember of last year, but many events are yearly and it will give you an idea of the kind of things doing...

http://www.fla-keys.com/newsletter/200909/

This has info for the first half of spetember...

http://www.fla-keys.com/newsletter/200908/

Pjk

Cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: key west in September??

Hi! We are going down in September - we are staying at the Westin this time, but have stayed at Truman Annex in a condo and also at the Southernmost Hotel. Every time we have been down we have flown into FLL and driven down. I think this year we are going to fly into FLL again and drive but we may fly directly back from Key West, still deciding! The drive can be long depending on traffic but typically in September it isn't bad.

Weather was really nice, but really HOT! The pool at the Southernmost Hotel was like bath water, but the pool at the Southernmost on the Beach was amazing!! We go over Labor Day and it isn't super packed, but it isn't completely dead either!! Always fun!!! Any questions, let me know.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: key west in September??

September is our quietest month by history, could be different this year. Just remember, lot's of restaurants close for a week or two or more during Sept to give their staff some time off as well as it being a traditionally slow tourist time. For those of us left behind, it is a somewhat welcome change and would allow you a more leasurely pace to visit some of the many attractions or enjoy the warm water.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: key west in September??

September is the height of the North Atlantic hurricane season, although the odds of you experiencing one are small, since I won't be there. LOL

BUT, just in case, buy trip insurance with the provisions in it that you get assistance in the event you get evacuated. Ever since Wilma, the authorities evacuate the keys whenever tropical weather threatens.

Ramrod Key, Florida
Level Contributor
386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: key west in September??

"Need info on hotels close to beach," is a request that falls short in most beach goers estimation when faced with beach reality in the Keys. A hotel beach in Key West is a handkerchief of very expensive sand brought by barge from the Bahamas and used as a foreground in publicity photographs to suggest a sahara-like expanse of wilderness which would comfortably require a camel for an unschooled tourist to cross in safety. If you want a beach-like experience take a room at the Sheraton and cross four lanes of traffic (very light in September) to walk Smathers Beach, as large an expanse of sand as can be found in the Key West. This will put you 7 taxi minutes from the heart of public drunkeness on Lower Duval a place where suggestion is more real than reality and the noise is absolutely deafening. 7 more taxi minutes will later get you back to the peace and serenity of South Roosevelt Boulevard in September.

The weather is a glorious mixture of heat and humidity unleavened by sudden incredibly fierce thunderstorms and pounding rain. Armageddon moves on to some other Gomorrah in less than 30 minutes usually and the sun returns, the asphalt steams, palm leaves twinkle with the residue of rain, and the horizon merges with the water and sky to become an indistinct line. Petulance at the sudden realisation that THE restaurant is closed this week is replaced by a sense of awe at the ex[anding view of massive white clouds slowly turning bronze and pink and purple as the sun sets and your shirt disolves into a sweat soaked rag.

September is perfect.

Edited: 17 May 2010, 20:26
Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,654 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: key west in September??

Is someone taking a creative writing class?

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: key west in September??

Ya think?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: key west in September??

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Edited: 17 May 2010, 22:23
Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: key west in September??

A bit like Charles Dickens and John Steinbeck had a really bad auto accident and there were only enough parts between the two to assemble one complete writer but I digress..... The heavy prose induces me into a semi-comatose state of disbelief while simultaneously layering a brief, light spell of wonder that leaves me agog with the use of the English language. Like a beautiful train wreck. (I'm not even certain he likes Key West. Go figure!)

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,546 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: key west in September??

Serenity of South Roosevelt Boulevard in September?

I guess it's more "serene" than North Roosevelt, but I don't know if I'd describe it this way -- even in September. ;)