We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 3/5-3/9

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rocky Point, New...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 3/5-3/9

Sorry this is so late posting just have been crazy busy. But I guess better late than never. First off I would like to thank everyone who offered a bit of advice, I took it all. I was the one that was so worried about what to do and where to go. Everyone was right and going with the flow was the best thing to do.

My husband and I got in to FLL Airport around 11 am and got our car from Dollar rental no problems stopped for a quick lunch at Cracker Barrel(we do not have any in N.Y.) and started our trip to Key West. The ride was smooth and I think we got to Southernmost on the Beach before 4:00. No problems checking in beautiful room and very friendly staff. We changed and ventured out to Duval Street. Walked halfway and had a nice dinner at Jack Flats. Walked back had a drink or two at Southernmost Cafe and called it a night as I had been up since 3 in the morn.

The next morning we went to Blue Heaven for breakfast, I had to have the Lobster Benedict I read so much about. Yummy!!!!!!! My husband had the BLT one. Best breakfast I ever had. Loved it. Came back to hotel and laid out by the little beach at the hotel. Was too cold to put on a suit, although some did, but was nice none the less. Ate a delicious lunch at the Cafe and the then went to the Butterfly Conservatory. Small, but it was enjoyable. Again we just walked up and down Duval checking out the sights and did a little shopping for the kids, we also had to buy sweatshirts since we wern't too prepared for the cold. We had a reservation for a sunset dinner on Dream Chasers, so we headed back to our room to get ready. Took a taxi so we didn't have to worry about a parking spot. We were early for our cruise so we had a few drinks at the Schooner Wharf and at 5 we headed to the boat. The cruise was awesome we saw dolphins and ate a delicious dinner amist a beautiful sunset. Had our drinks on by the this time so after the cruise we ended up at Dantes for a while, things got kind of fuzzy, then took a taxi back to SMOTB and ended up at the bar there. I hadn't drank like this in 15 years.

The next morn suffice to say not feeling to good. I am early riser and now it is 9am and I am still in bed. Hubby not even moving around 11 I ventured out to find Bad Boy Burritos only to find them closed. I got some coffee and something to eat at the cuban deli across from the hotel. Have to wake my husband am bored waiting around. Finally at about 1 he gets up. We ended up at the Southernmost beach again and just relaxed. Finally I couldnt take any more sitting and made him get up. We drove to the other end of Duval and walked throughout the Marina. It was wierd seeing all of the restraunts that everyone had recommended I was like that one supposed to be good and that one has this and that one has that, my husband thought I was a nut.. He had spotted Prime when using the Restroom at Dantes the night before and wanted to try it. It wasn't open yet so we went again to Dantes and had a drink and some nachos. Prime was too fancy for us we were the only ones there as it had just opened and there were like 5 glasses per person and silverware we couldnt even count, kind of funny, but it was good I had yellowtail or grouper not sure which but it was good, my husband had a steak. No complaints, just to fancy for us. Thank god we didn't have our kids with us:) After we just walked around people watching it was fun. For some reason we didn't go to Mallory Square. We went back to the Southernmost Cafe for a drink or two and turned in.

Monday was our last day so we checked out and walked a little wanted to see Margaritaville so went there bought some things, I didn't want to leave without seeing the bouy, so I kept bugging my husband to find it,Was right next to hotel and didn't even know it. On our way back to Fll wanted to go to Hogfish Bar and Grill so again bugged my husband to find it, was kind hard but eventually we found it an hour before it opened but we waited walked around the docks and I finally got to have the infamous Hogfish sandwhich. Was very good but would try something else next time. Enjoyed the ride back to FLL where we caught the first flight out on Tuesday.

Kind of boring I know but it was very relaxing. I wanted to snorkel, ride bikes and do more in depth site seeing, hubby not so much. So guess what? I am coming back in October with my friends for my birthday(as long as there is no problem with the oil leak) and will definately do the things I want to do and what I don't do in October I will do another time. Know I know what Keys Disease means. Thanks again to all those that posted, Arnie, Bo(I can remember their names offhand) and everyone else who answered one of my many questions. Again, Sorry it took so long

Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 3/5-3/9

mom3...there's never enough time to do everything you want to! LOL Yep, you've got "Keys Disease"....isn't it great??!!! Thanks so much for your report. So glad you had a great time!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,627 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 3/5-3/9

I just hope that in October you don't get everything done so you have to go back again ;-)

I'm sorry. I gotta ask. You drove all the way from FLL to Key West and the only place that you stopped was CRACKER BARREL?

That place wouldn't even be in my top 1,000 places to stop.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 3/5-3/9

your report made me chuckle - the day hubby would not get out of bed. key west is not for everyone. my wife willl proably never go back either. that's ok. your stay was far too short. hope you have more time in October or I hope you are able to fly in and out of key west that time if your stay is short. why does hubby get to pick Prime when you did all the footwork? not fair i say. sounds like you really enjoyed SMOB - nice to have an on-site bar to go home to. that is one huge advantage over condo stays.

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 3/5-3/9

never too late to hear about the fun you had !!! THANKS

Rocky Point, New...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 3/5-3/9

I know BuffetGuy but we love Cracker Barrel and only eat there once a year if that so when I saw we went. BTW it was the only place we stopped on our way down to the Keys. You bet I did the legwork but I picked Blue Heaven and I picked to go on the Sunset cruise and I wanted to go to Hogfish Bar and Grill so when he said he wanted to go to Prime I agreed. My choice was El Siboney or Messon de Pepe. Oh well next time. My stay in October is going to be short(31/2 days) coming with 2 girlfriends, already having conflicts about where to stay, what to do. 1 is easy, the other likes beaches and is being more difficult. What are you going to do? Just glad I am coming back

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 3/5-3/9

"What are you going to do?" a good way to deal with the difficult one. when you get there hit the Smallest Bar and insist she has a couple of rum drinks out of coconuts. she will settle after that.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 3/5-3/9

After mine and hubbies' first trip to KW, I immediately started planning a second trip as well. I'm a reasonably early riser but hubby likes to sleep till 11-12 on vacation so I'd just leave him in the condo and take off on my bike or walking around and enjoy my mornings. I drug him out to breakfast with me once but the rest of the time I was on my own-I always found someone to talk to or had plenty of people/chicken/cat watching to keep me well entertained!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 3/5-3/9

Thanks for the non-boring trip report! I did have to chuckle at going to the Cracker Barrel. We don't have those up in Maine, and was a staple for any road trip down south, as well as the Waffle House (I know..I KNOW...so don't say it!). It is funny that you worked hard to find something you want to see, only to find out that it is right around the corner from you. That would be just my luck as well.

Glad you had a great time, and already have your next trip planned. Don't worry, the Key West Disease isn't fatal!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
579 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 3/5-3/9

Yeah, my husband laughs at me for enjoying the Cracker Barrell too.....go figure!!!

Sue

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,627 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 3/5-3/9

LOL - The Cracker Barrel, who knew it was such a draw. Then again, the KW locals fight over Arby's.

I guess "best" really is subjective.