We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to get there

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
1 post
Save Topic
What is the best way to get there

My husband and I are thinking of going to Key West for Christmas. First I was wondering if it was kind of slow at that time or if there are lots of other Christmas vacationers. It probably won't matter to us. I'm just curious.

Also, I'm trying to decide between flying directly there (most expensive), flying to Miami and driving (long drive I hear) and someone has suggested flying into Tampa and taking a boat to Key West. The last suggestion is intriguing but I can't find anything on the internet advertising boat trips to Key West from other cities.

Suggestions?

gracie

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to get there

Great question. There are several thoughts on this subject, and you have highlighted them very well. There are warts lurking behind every choice. As long as you know what the warts are, you can make an informed decision.

You can fly into either Fort Lauderdale or Miami. FLL is a little longer of a drive than Miami, but getting a rental car and the traffic is easier to navigate in FLL. The net result time wise, is once you land, you'll be on the road faster in FLL, but you have an extra 20 or so miles to drive.

Depending upon the day you drive, the traffic can work against you as well. Any Sat morning or Friday afternoon (or holidays)towards Key West the traffic is going to be busier than other days of the week.

The plus of driving is the drive itself. I personally like the sounds, smells, sights, etc of the drive. The traffic can be real slow. One accident on US 1 and the road can be shut down. So, if this or if 4 1/2 hours in a car if all goes well scares you, then fly.

If the added expense of flying scares you, consider that once in Key West, you may not ever need a car . . . Parking in KW can be a problem as well.

I know of ferry from Fort Myers, I haven't heard of any from Tampa, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. The ferry is as long as the drive itself, so you wouldn't be saving any time, just the hassel of the drive itself.

I didn't give you an answer, but I gave you some info to ponder to help you make YOUR decision. Hope it helps.

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to get there

Well put Buffetguy. I like flying in because all I want to do is GET TO KEY WEST. Some day though I might take that drive.

Flanders, NJ
Level Contributor
247 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to get there

Last month I took my first trip to Key West and was going to fly to Miami then drive the rest of the way. Rental Car out of Miami for the 5 days I would need it cost the same as an airline ticket from Miami to Key West. So instead of driving the 4 hours we flew a short 30 minute flight.

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to get there

I think the big issue is: will you need a car in KW? if you have a family and want to explore then maybe get the car and fly into a Southeast FL airport If not (car not needed) just fly all the way and take a taxi then perhaps a scooter. Not having the responsibility for a car (parking, gas + worrying about it, liability) is really a fun and stress free vacation!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to get there

There is also Cape Air out of Fort Myers (RSW). It is a funky little airline that paints the planes pink with flamingos and palm trees. It's about $125 each way for the fare. Try that as well.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
597 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best way to get there

We made our first trip to KW last month. We drove down but flew back. While I have no complaints about the drive, I really didn't see any great reason for it. As of right now I don't plan on doing the drive again. Next time (and there will be a next time) I plan to fly in and out. You don't need the car once your there. I can't really comment on any of the boat shuttles only to say that from what I have read they are at the mercy of the roughness/calmness of the water. All in all I would just fly in unless your really wanting to do the drive or the boat shuttle. You'll have plenty of chances for various boating activities once your in KW.

New York
Level Contributor
463 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best way to get there

My 1st trip to KW will be Feb 3-I am flying out of LGA to Miami and then driving to KW. dropping off the car the next day and then flying out of KW on that Monday. it's considered a multi city ticket but i thought i got it pretty cheap--$245 RT. plus the $50 for the car for 1 day. I want to do the drive but only once on the way in. not out. lol

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best way to get there

Curlyq, great plan! As an ex-LIer living in FL I know you'll love the Keys, take your time on the drive down from Miami, much to see between Miami and Key West. Have a great time!

New York
Level Contributor
463 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the best way to get there

thanks! I am looking forward to it!! what part of LI are you from? it's getting soo expensive here.. everyone is leaving! unfortunately it's even more expensive to live in the keys. lol

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the best way to get there

N.Massapequa, left many years ago!