We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where we stayed: Key West Bed and Breakfast

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Where we stayed: Key West Bed and Breakfast

This is the second Bed & Breakfast we have stayed at so far. Last year our choice was the KWHI when it was ranked #1 on TA and this year it was Key West Bed & Breakfast aka The Popular House which is now ranked #1 according to TA. I can see how both earned their rankings.

I absolutely loved it. The decor is light and vibrant with white paint and splashes of color surrounding you everywhere and with the outstanding art that Jodi has hung throughout the house and rooms. The decor epitomizes Key West to me.

We loved our third floor private balcony room. It was spacious and even its private bath was filled with quality art. The sheets were high quality and the bed was very comfortable. We enjoyed the balcony with our morning coffee and in the evenings before we retired.

The fresh squeezed orange juice and Richard's baked goods were worth a stop even though I always first grabbed an early morning cup of Cafe con Leche from Sandy's Cafe or Cuban Coffee Queen before the 8:30 breakfast offered here and also went out for breakfast either before or after as well. That is simply because I am an early riser and a breakfast lover and Key West has so many great breakfast stops.

But what I really loved here was the staff. Jodi, the owner, has assembled an unbelievably great group of people down to Tanya, the housekeeper, who always wore a smile and wished a good morning. She was a ray of sunshine each morning. Jodi herself is a fascinating woman who came to Key West in 1974 and was a bartender at the Chart Room originally at the same time as Tom Cocoran. She then moved to every department at the Pier House for training in becoming the excellent and delightful owner of this establishment. We had a long and delightful converstaion after check-in. She was amazed I knew every place she mentioned. Liz also was a friendly face and we shared the medical problems of her cocker Buddy who was there every day and my cocker Lady Berg. I missed her on her days off. And then there was Tippi, the newest addition to the family, only having been there two months. Tippi was a delight. I told her many times how much I loved her and she begged a hug when I left. We cracked each other up all the time throughout my stay and she teased me about catching me one morning in my Key West Harbor Inn t-shirt, which I was sure no guests or staff would see since I was simply wearing it on my early bike ride to Sandys for my Cafe con Leche, and no one else got up that early. But, alas, Tippi drove by in her black SUV and hailed me a good morning and later a gotcha moment. LOL

It doesn't have a happy hour, nor a pool where everyone gathers to meet your fellow guests. It tends to be very quiet throughout the day except for me yapping away at Jodi, Liz or Tippi. So it isn't for everyone, but it was very much for me.

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where we stayed: Key West Bed and Breakfast

Sounds great, but to be honest, no pool would be a deal breaker for us! In fact, that's one of the reasons we've been renting private homes in KW to ensure we have a nice pool area...

columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where we stayed: Key West Bed and Breakfast

Converstation? I wish I would learn to do a better job previewing or editing instead of being in such a rush always. Yes, like I said, I know that that fact alone would be a deal breaker for many. They do have a dipping pool but that is hardly the same. I also forgot to mention that there is no tv, another deal breaker for some people. Personally though, I refuse to watch tv, or read newspapers or go on my laptop when I am in Key West. I like to spend my vacation in my little world that I love with no outside distractions, even though my wife insists I buy her a morning paper each day when I pick up our Cafe con Leches. I don't look at it nor allow her to inform me of anything in it. I am an island :)

Edited: 28 May 2010, 15:39
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
335 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where we stayed: Key West Bed and Breakfast

Thank you for this post! We're staying at the Key West B&B in a couple weeks and I'm so glad to hear how much you enjoyed it. I spoke with Tipi on the phone when I made the reservations and she was definitely a sweetheart. We have a room booked on the third floor too. It has a balcony right? I am looking forward to sitting out on the balcony and reading.

I agree that no pool and no TV was a bit of a downer but for the price and for everything else being so fabulous I decided to book here anyways. I seriously haven't been able to find any negative reviews! (except one related to a price mix up or something like that). My husband and I plan to take out iPad which we can download movies on if we really get an "itch" for some tube time.....but really I'm sure it's better to just get away from the TV and enjoy KW!

Thanks again for the review....makes me more excited about my stay!!

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where we stayed: Key West Bed and Breakfast

Thanks for telling us about your stay. I like the way you divide up your reports and I'm sure there are lots of others who, like me. are anxious to hear more about your trip!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
335 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where we stayed: Key West Bed and Breakfast

ybbhomeless, I thought I read something about a "Dry Sauna" being on property too. What was that like? Thanks!

columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where we stayed: Key West Bed and Breakfast

The third floor back has a private balcony. The other room on the third floor doesn't but has a beautiful large arched window instead and is also a nice room. You can view the sunrise from the balcony each morning. I don't know about the dry sauna if there is one. Sorry, can't help you there.

Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where we stayed: Key West Bed and Breakfast

Actually, it sounds lovely! Although we've always had a place with a pool and a room with a TV, we use the pool infrequently and the TV hardly at all. To tell the truth, I wouldn't miss the TV at all! I'm really enjoying the way you describe everything - makes me feel like I'm right there.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where we stayed: Key West Bed and Breakfast

It sounds like a really nice B&B. I'll add it to me "need to try" list. Key West has no shortage of these sorts of gems.

Scranton, PA
Level Contributor
239 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where we stayed: Key West Bed and Breakfast

Been waiting for some post-vaca posts from you, D. Now I have to make my way through them, but I'm glad you liked the B&B, and eveyrone who runs the place, as much as we do.

I'm not much for TV's when we're in KW either, so I perfer a room without it. Who wants to watch Idol, much less the news, when SWB is 2 blocks away? Incomprehensible!

DW

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where we stayed: Key West Bed and Breakfast

TV, that I can do without...but as stated earlier, I like my swim time. I realize there are places like Dante's or Southernmost where you can go for the day - but there is something about being able to take a quick dip at your own pace that is hard to do without!

But, ybb, thanks for all your posts. Very informative. After many, many years of vacationing in KW - there is always something to learn :-)