We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining with dogs makes comeback - todays paper 6/8

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Dining with dogs makes comeback - todays paper 6/8

Dining with dogs makes comeback

But it comes with a price for restaurant owners

BY MANDY MILES Citizen Staff

mmiles@keysnews.com

Restaurant owners soon could be rolling out the red carpet and topping off the water bowls for their canine customers, as city officials are expected to approve a new permitting program that will allow dogs in open-air restaurants. But accommodating man's best friend requires some new tricks for restaurateurs, who must jump through numerous regulatory hoops.

For instance, those water bowls cannot be used in the food service and preparation, and all dogs must be on leashes, according to the new program, which also requires hand sanitizers on each outdoor table, conspicuous signs alerting people to the presence of dogs and strict hand-washing policies for staff members.

Dogs must remain on the ground rather than in people's laps, and they must be kept "under reasonable control," the new law states.

Restaurant owners who intend to welcome dogs into their establishments must pay $100 for a permit from the city, and must carry at least $1 million in liability insurance.

The majority of restaurants likely have that coverage already, but they must now be sure their policy covers dogs or any incident arising from their presence, Assistant City Attorney Ron Ramsingh said Monday.

The Key West Planning Board will meet Thursday to review the new program, which is being recommended for approval by the city staff. Once the Planning Board approves it, the ordinance will go to the City Commission for two public readings.

Many local restaurants were long known for their dog-friendly policy, but recent investigations by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation revealed that the city had no law in place regulating the presence of dogs in food service establishments.

A statewide law bans the animals from restaurants, but that law can be overwritten by a local ordinance. Key West never had such a local ordinance, so dogs were temporarily disallowed.

The new program applies only to restaurants with outdoor seating, and makes no mention of establishments that serve only drinks. Those businesses are regulated by the state health department. The new ordinance uses the city's definition of "restaurant" as an establishment that is not a drive-through, "where the principal business is the sale of food, desserts and beverages to the customer in a ready-to-consume state."

Many business owners are eagerly anticipating the canines' return.

"Many of our regular customers enjoy bringing their dogs with them; even customers without dogs like seeing them here," said Evalena Worthington, owner of Schooner Wharf Bar, which has been one of the most pet-friendly venues in town. "As our world famous T-shirts say, we are looking forward to 'hanging with the big dogs' again -- and the little ones, too."

David Case, owner of Sarabeth's restaurant on Simonton Street, also will welcome dogs back to the patio area of the restaurant, although the recent flap has heightened his awareness of the issue -- and of people who are uncomfortable around dogs.

"I have many locals who are missing being able to dine out all over town, so I believe I will participate in the new program," Case said. "But I also intend to be hyper-vigilant toward people who would prefer not to be seated near a dog."

The owners of Salsa Loca Mexican restaurant on Angela Street also anticipate the return of their furry friends, one of whom, Roxy, belongs to the owner and was a popular greeter.

The Key West Planning Board meets at 6 p.m. Thursday in Old City Hall, 510 Greene St.

mmiles@keysnews.com

Mentioned in this post
Simonton Street Beach
Simonton Street Beach
77 Reviews
Key West, FL
Sarabeth's Key West
Sarabeth's Key West
1,840 Reviews
Key West, FL
Schooner Wharf Bar
Schooner Wharf Bar
2,235 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
295 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining with dogs makes comeback - todays paper 6/8

Thanks for sharing the article. Things like this are what makes Key West so fun and relaxing. Hope they don't have to put ID's and leashes on the chickens next !!!

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining with dogs makes comeback - todays paper 6/8

Sounds like one of the "Bubba's" is an insurance broker but what the heck. Two paws up!

Chill,

K

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining with dogs makes comeback - todays paper 6/8

I do not think dogs that slobber or drool should be allowed in any restaurant - they are gross. No Bull dogs and no Newfoundland dogs to start with. Ok, Ok, I know - i drool too, but that is because i am drunk; these dogs have no excuse.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining with dogs makes comeback - todays paper 6/8

I think it's great! I love seeing owners with their dogs at a out door restaurant and even on the beach. I'm a animal lover.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining with dogs makes comeback - todays paper 6/8

Congrats! Thanks for sharing, Arnie. Can't wait to celebrate at SWB.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining with dogs makes comeback - todays paper 6/8

the official list of dogs that should be barred. you really want Spike sitting next to you? again, gross. darn, that is descrimination. oh well.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/drool.htm

Edited: 08 June 2010, 18:57
Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining with dogs makes comeback - todays paper 6/8

yeah, this guy has no reason to be in a public place. drooly dog owners - please keep them home or put a face diaper on them.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/drool2.htm

Nevada
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining with dogs makes comeback - todays paper 6/8

i'm with ohbo on this one! I see some dogs that look like they are suffering while their owners drag them all over to be slobbered over by the intoxicated patrons. saw a single guy in conch republic a few years back, he was looking for someone to watch his dog so he could go to the restroom, how fun is that?

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining with dogs makes comeback - todays paper 6/8

Whatever happened to "One Canine Family"?

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining with dogs makes comeback - todays paper 6/8

This thing cut me off in mid-edit...

If some dogs are allowed - all are allowed. Same thing with kids. I don't want a yelping drooling dog running amok, just as I don't want a screaming, obnoxious, drooling kid running around.

I enjoy seeing both in KW - but their owners/parents need to understand the limitations of both and their impact on the rest of the population that did NOT bring them.