We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back From KW

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
16 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back From KW

Hi all...4 of us just returned from KW where we experienced Fantasy Fest for the first time. Our trip had already been scheduled in June and FF was supposed to happen in Oct but hurricane Wilma caused it to be rescheduled. What an eye opener! Naked body painting and wild drinking...it was a great people-watching place. Just think of Animal House, the movie, and multiply that a hundred times. We were way too old and past all of that but believe me there were lots of older people who were just as rowdy and over-the-top as the younger ones. Anyway, here's my run down on favorites.

Waterfront Market - the best deli sandwiches ever

Half Shell Raw Bar and Turtle Kraals - great places to sit by the water and eat and drink

7 Fish - On Olivia Street. One of the nicest restaurants on the island. Not sure why no one mentioned this one. I had to find out about it on a snorkeling trip. The menu is mostly fish (of course) but there is a steak and a chicken dish. A cute little place, very small...must have reservations if you don't want to wait. Prices very reasonable

Abbondanza - On Simonton Street. Great Italian food, reasonable prices, great atmosphere

Mangia Mangia - On Southard Street. Another wow place to eat

Fogarty's - great hamburgers

Flying Monkeys Bar - great people-watching place on Duvall. Can sit there and hear the music from The Bull (I think that was the name) across the street.

Blue Heaven -of course!

Sunset Pier bar - At Mallory Square. Sit and watch the sunset with a frozen margarita

Not sure what all the hype is about The Deli - thought it was crap.

So, we are back in Delaware with cold temps but Christmas is coming. It just isn't the same with palm trees. Happy Holidays everyone!

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back From KW

Thanks for the trip report. All those places you mentioned are great, flying monkey being one of my favs. Glad you had a great time. Let us know where you stayed and if you liked it.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
16 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back From KW

We stayed at Simonton Court...our second time there. We stayed in one of the townhouses this time. A little pricey for my taste. Breakfast by the pool was wonderful, though, and the staff is great. The grounds are beautiful. Adults only...I believe it is over 18 for all. Became a clothing-optional place for FF..not my cup of tea, and we were very surprised when it happened, but we did meet some of the people and they were very nice. Just not too appetizing when you are having breakfast by the pool and people are sunning completely naked...and swimming. I am not a prude by any means and it was done tastefully but if anyone stays there during FF just remember that it changes. Not sure how the other adult only places are.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back From KW

Well, whaddaya know...

Here I am just right up the road in Midway (DE) & we were down in KW at the same time...in fact, some of our party flew out of KW for MIA on AA at about 2PM (the "incident" happened during their flight!)

It was a thrill to see Cape Henlopen from the air...you could see the breakwaters & a ferry just departing. LEWS (haha) is such a lovely town!

John W.