We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What airport should I fly into going to Fantasy Fest

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
maryland
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What airport should I fly into going to Fantasy Fest

Departing Baltimore should I fly into Miami or Fort Laudale.

They say its easier to fly into Lauderdale. Thanks in advance

Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What airport should I fly into going to Fantasy Fest

We always fly into Ft. Lauderdale. Tried Miami once and that was enough for us. The time saved by flying into Miami is negligible. It's so much easier, IMHO, to get out of - and back into - FLL. Of course, you could always fly into Key West. :)

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What airport should I fly into going to Fantasy Fest

I agree with Short, Fort Lauderdale.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What airport should I fly into going to Fantasy Fest

Fly to Key West - EYW. It is more expensive to fly there, but you will be minutes from the city.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,785 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What airport should I fly into going to Fantasy Fest

and then there's always me saying MIA

I get lost every single time I leave FLL and I just find MIA easier.

NJ
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What airport should I fly into going to Fantasy Fest

FLL is very east compared to MIA (I refuse to take any flight that goes there anymore). You may want to consider the cost of the car rental vs the cost to fly into EYW. It may not be that much more and you probably won't need the care once you get there.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What airport should I fly into going to Fantasy Fest

If you are strictly going to be in KW during your trip, Between the rental car for the complete stay, the gas to drive back and forth, it might be cheaper to land in KW. Quick search...$220 more to land in KW for a 5 day stay.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What airport should I fly into going to Fantasy Fest

We fly into whichever airport offers the best time and prices for our trip. Have your directions from goolge maps printed up and follow them, you'll be fine. What ever you do, stay away from A1A and 95, get on the tollway right away and stay there until you get to Florida City where you are dumped onto US1.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What airport should I fly into going to Fantasy Fest

I flew into MIA on American in May and it took forever to get to the baggage claim area.

We had to take the tram from the gates to the main terminal and then walked, walked and walked some more... the group of folks I was with got to take a tour of about 20 minutes!

Every time we rounded a corner we'd see the signs pointing somewhere else. And of course I had my carry-on bag over my shoulder.. getting heavier and heavier!

And I won't get into the long wait at the off site rental car place (Budget).

Of course when it was time to fly back home my plane was at a gate nice and close to the entrance and they had a Corona Mexican restaurant there. But that was flying out on a much larger 767, so maybe that's the trick?

Of course it won't matter to me anymore, as I will be flying out of FLL from now on, and directly to EYW!

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
643 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What airport should I fly into going to Fantasy Fest

I agree with Sharla....We look for price/flight times. That said, I MUCH prefer FLL to MIA. Rental cars are easier, getting to/from the airport is SO much easier...I don't know what problem the other poster ran into. If you pay attention, it's pretty easy, and almost as fast as going from MIA.

Problem is...on the way back to MIA, seems like on 836 near Milam Dairy Road, there's always a traffic jam and then getting off LeJeune road, finding the car rental place is a pain. At FLL they're all in one spot, and that's a real convenience.

IF flying into EYW is an option, that's a good one. For our next trip, I looked at that, and it was a possibility, but when I realized that the connection in/out of MIA gave us a layover of 40 minutes...it's easy to miss the flight, and unlikely the luggage would get to Key West. If we missed the first one and caught the next one, we'd be in Key West about 2 hours after we'd arrive by driving. So I saved the extra 40 bucks pp, and we'll stop at Alabama Jack's for lunch. :^)

Edited: 05 July 2010, 01:38
Miami
Level Contributor
783 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What airport should I fly into going to Fantasy Fest

Key West hands down and if you plan ahead, you can find a competitive price. Next best is Miami. Car rental bus picks you up outside baggage and the rental locations are close. FLL is and extra 45 minutes further to drive and if you have to change airlines there, the terminals are not connected and you may have to walk outside. I love the Miami airport and it's true international flavor, variety of restaurants and services, plus the terminals are connected indoors.